Chapter 14: The Geniuses and the Average Joes

Kashimo and Isagi walk into the 2v2 matching room. They sit down and reflect on the last match.

Kashimo: So, the two remaining that lose the 3v3 are brought here. We're the first ones too.

Isagi: Yeah...

Kashimo: What do you think, Isagi? There's a break room there, let's rest up a bit.

Isagi: There's no time to rest. If we lose the next match, we're done for.

Kashimo: Then we'll win. We just happened to face opponents who were stronger than us.

Isagi: That's not the issue. I'm not like you... I couldn't do anything against the top 3...

Kashimo: ...

Isagi: If we lose the next match, you'll be the one who gets stolen, Kashimo. I won't be chosen. Even if I were the enemy, I wouldn't want a player like this...

Kashimo then grabs Isagi by the hair.

Kashimo: Stop fucking with me. How can we make any progress with you like this?

Isagi: Huh?

Kashimo: I teamed up with you because I saw an amazing deal of potential in you. But you're not helping yourself by being a goddamn sore loser. Get your act together.

Isagi grabs Kashimo.

Isagi: The hell's your problem?! Go team up with someone else! Don't try and push your ideals on me like that!

Kashimo: Perhaps you're right. Maybe I should go team up with someone else, like Bachira. At least he won't keep bitching about a simple loss.

Isagi: SHUT UP!!!

He pushes Kashimo off of him.

Kashimo: Look, it was a 2 to 1 advantage.

Isagi: Huh?

Kashimo: Aryu beat you, Aryu beat Nagi, Tokimitsu beat me, and he just so happened to beat you and Nagi as well. I was no doubt better than them and possibly Rin, but you were not on their level yet.

Isagi: So, it's my fault?! Is that it?!

Kashimo: It's none of our fault. My weapon is my adaptability. I'm perfect at everything I do, nearly perfect. You saw Nagi's ball control which I just have now, that was proof from when I scored that bicycle kick.

Isagi: That's why I'm irritated! 

Kashimo grabs onto Isagi's shoulders.

Kashimo: We won't lose again, right? I won't let your football career end here, Isagi. You're a gem.

Isagi: A gem? Me? An average player?

Kashimo: If you can perfect your weapon, it'll be the strongest one out of them all, you can even surpass me. Even if I can beat you in everything else, it won't mean shit if I can't get the ball. The same will go with other players. We can trigger a chemical reaction with ease, ok?

Isagi: ...Yeah, ok.

Kashimo: Keep working on your weapon and skills, and fast. The Second Selection is all about our individual skills. Even for someone like me, I'll lose if my teammate can't keep up with me.

Isagi takes a moment to think about Kashimo's words, and he's 100% right. The Second Selection is focused on nothing but individual abilities. He's doing nothing but holding back Kashimo. He's the best player he's seen in Blue Lock, in football at that, minus Rin and Noel Noa. He's gotta keep up and pay it back forward.

Kashimo: There's only two ways we win, me toning down my skill so that you can keep up or you get better. It's as simple as that, Isagi. What do you choose?