𝖙𝖍𝖗𝖊𝖊

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐈𝐈𝐈 - 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 (𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥) 𝐣𝐨𝐛

possible warning: mentions of child death

˗ˏˋ꒰ 👻 ꒱

It had been a few days since the spirit, who the boys had learned was called [Name], initially taught them how to capture ghosts. The four hadn't been able to apply this knowledge to anything though, not until today. They had been able to discover another person desperate to rid themselves of the ghastly presence that plagued their home, and were able to convince them to let them purge their house of any supernatural activity, for the "low" price of $80. It was that much simply because Cartman wasn't able to haggle any further, much to his annoyance.

With that, the group of now five, in normal clothes this time since [Name] playfully bullied them for their previous outfit choices, stood outside the house of their newest client. "Do you have all the materials?" [Name] checked, their question met with affirmative nods or hums. "Alright, go knock," they instructed, concealing their form for the time being.

The boys eventually forced Cartman to knock, since the whole ordeal was his initial idea. Once they had gotten into the house and out of sight of the owner, [Name] became visible and they laid out the materials on a nearby table. Admittedly, it wasn't much, just something to attract the ghost and a modified mason jar (courtesy of [Name], although the four weren't completely sure what they did to make it "special", even after the lengthy explanation) to capture the soul in.

"You sure this is going to work?" Kyle asked, unsure if what [Name] had requested they get would actually earn them a ghost capture. He eyed their luring item with a hint of suspicion on its efficiency. The object had to be something that the ghost would enjoy, and from the owner's claims the ghost often toyed with things that hadn't seen the light of day in years, like old stuffed animals locked away in the attic.

"Yeah, I'm sure," [Name] confirmed, picking up the puppy Squishmallow they had selected from the Dollar Store box. They carried it into the living room, where it was claimed the antique toys were often left. It was set gingerly down onto the coffee table, then the spirit slipped away to gather the jar.

Now all that was left to do was wait. The silence between the mortal group didn't linger for long, though. "Is this actually going to work?" Stan voiced, being met with shrugs from the other boys. "Who knows. We'll get money either way," Cartman commented, resulting in a scoff from Kyle. "For the money we're getting, the house should be actually ghost-free, fatass."

"Hey, I'm just big boned-!" There went any hint of peaceful silence, covered up by those two's routine arguing. It didn't last long though, since [Name] floated back into the room. "Can you two please shut the fuck up?" They requested semi-harshly, before exiting the space once more.

It was quiet just long enough for the boys to feel the familiar chill of a ghost's presence. Despite the examinations performed by all of them, there was no trace of anything amiss other than the cooled temperature. Then, the stuffed animal bait shifted ever so slightly.