24. The Secret's Out

"Shoulda used the line 'you must be a work of art because I'd like to nail you up against a wall'."

"Aww, this all takes me back to the good old days!"

"Then what happened?"

"After a while we left the gallery and then got our portrait drawn by this really sweet street artist. He killed it." Lauren stroked my knee tenderly. "Didn't he, Camz?"

I interlace our hands, placing them comfortably on my lap as my bright smile confirms Lauren's re-telling of our date. Our 3 friends sat opposite us listen intently and all share the same excited and happy expression.

We're currently in Dinah's limo, on our way to the Staples Centre, where the Grammys are being held this year. We're all glammed up to attend our first appearance and red carpet as a 5 piece group again.

You can guess who's particular get-up I can't take my eyes off of. Lauren is and has always been beautiful, but I haven't seen her in a dress and her signature smokey makeup look for a while now. The green of her eyes and red lips seem more vivid than usual, and how long I've been without them, more apparent.

"Then I took Camila to my apartment -"

"Did y'all do it?" Normani questions us, seemingly having no filter at all.

Not even the makeup can hide the pink in my cheeks, nor in Lauren's. I wonder if it makes us look guilty, but I don't mind. We've lived with these girls - I know they like to make us squirm. Normani and Dinah being the worst 2 of the bunch.

*******

flashback

August 2015

*******

DINAH'S POV:

"Get over here, Lauser."

Stealing her for a moment, I stretch a hand up a snap a picture of Lauren and I, pushing her back into our group of friends before posting the photo on Snapchat.

"China!" Camila's wiggly arms props themselves on my shoulders as she attempted to give me one of her infamous koala hugs. I love this little weirdo. "You look thirsty. I think we both need more of those 'Drunk in Rum' drinks."

"I think that's a great idea, Mila!" I shout over the music, trying to steady my friend as she climbs off of me. "Maybe you should ask your girlfriend to get us some? There'll only be a shot worth left if you try getting them yourself."

Without a second thought, Camila grabs the slender arm of her girlfriend, interrupting the conversation she was having with some of our crew (which a completely smitten Lauren didn't seem to mind), and they walk over to the drinks table to top up.

I look around the backstage room, which was surprisingly big enough to fit all 50 of our crew members and performers, and mentally pat myself on the back for how much of a genius I am.