Guardian

Zuko and the leader searching. The woods at this time at night are dangerous and unpredictable. Anything could jump out and attacks us. Platypus-Bears, Fire Nation Soldiers, or even Fire Lord Ozai himself. Just then, they hear some laughing and talking. They hide behind a tree. Zuko peaks his head out and fills the leader in on what he sees.

"I see your cousins." He whispers. The children are in shackles, their faces scared and scarred by the loud and mocking soldiers. "Look at them. Just laughing and mocking innocent children. But now, I'm gonna be the one that laughs last." The leader creates a dagger out of water from a nearby pond and gets ready to strike. Zuko grabs his hand. "Wait. If they spot us, they'll hurt them, or worse. We need an attack plan."

"And how's that gonna help? We don't take them out now, I may never see those kids again."

"Just trust me." Zuko requests. "Follow my lead, and we can get them back without putting them in danger."

The leader looks frantically at the kids, crying and screaming in fear. He looks back at Zuko, cool as a cucumber, but determined and ready to pounce. In that moment, when the leader looks into his golden eyes, that's when he knew the truth. He was ready to neutralize Fire Nation Soldiers, his own people, to save children that he's never met before.

"Ok, Zuko. What's your plan?" Zuko meets the leader's gaze calmly yet intently. "Leave the soldiers to me. When I engage them, sneak around and free your cousins. Then run - I'll hold the soldiers off and catch up."

Without waiting for reply, he gives a brief nod and leaps soundlessly through the trees. Zuko clears the foliage in a blur of red and uses the element of surprise - a roar of flames sweep toward the soldiers, engulfing them in an inferno.

Their shouts of pain and alarm cover any noise the leader makes cutting through the shackles binding Anwanna and Bol. The leader gathers them protectively in your arms as Zuko battles with ferocious accuracy. Though outnumbered, his skills are honed - not one soldier lands a hit.

When an opening presents itself in their chaotic defense, Zuko bellows "Now!" He knows the leader will get to safety. His onslaught continues without mercy until the last soldier falls, then he races after you into the forest.

As Zuko sees the leader safely distanced with the restored children, Zuko allows himself a faint smile. "I gave my word. They will threaten your family no more."

The leader begins painting. Still trying to catch his breath. He has never seen anything like it. A 16 year old kid just took down the Fire Lord's most elite soldiers without breaking a sweat. "Zuko...that... that was incredible. I don't know what to say."

"I trained from a young age to be a weapon for the Fire Lord," Zuko replies solemnly. "But tonight, I fought for something more. Innocent lives were at stake."

He glances at the children, now calm in their elder cousin's arms, and his face softens. "No child deserves to live in fear. Not when I can protect them."

Turning back to the leader, Zuko bows his head respectfully. "You gave me a chance to prove myself. I know words cannot erase past mistakes...but I hope my actions have shown that I am dedicated to real change. All I ask is for the opportunity to continue showing you - and the Avatar - that I am an ally. My only desire is to help restore balance and peace. The past is the past. But the future remains unwritten. What do you say - will you allow me to fight at your side from this day on?"

The leader looks back at his kids. Their faces still dry and red from all the screaming and crying that the soldiers forced out of them. But when he saw their eyes, he saw the same look Zuko gave him before they initiated our plan. It was one of trust and calmness. Two commodities he had never thought could possibly exist in this era of war and violence. After further consideration, he had made his decision.

"Zuko..... I trust you. Welcome to our family."

The leader shake his hand. Zuko's face lights up with joy. Anwanna and Bol jump into their arms and give them hugs. Their cries had turned to giggles of joy.

"Thank you very much. I promise you this, I will not let you down. You have my word. Now, we should probably get out of here. These woods are not safe." Zuko declares.

"That guy's smart and cool." Anwanna tells her elder cousin. "Yes he is, An. Yes he is."

They turn to head back to the campsite where the leader's sister and scavengers are waiting.
"My name is Jakto." He tells his new friend.

"My sister, Molana, and I use to babysit these kids every weekend back at our village at the Southern Water Tribe. But one day, the fire nation attacked. Our parents gave their lives to protect us. We have been on our own ever since. We traveled to the Forest here near the Western Air Temple by stealing a Fire Nation Navy ship. We've been hiding back at our campsite during the war ever since. Who would have ever thought that you would be the one to give us hope again? Thank you, Zuko. My people will welcome you with praise and honor."

"You've shown incredible strength and courage to survive and protect your family," Zuko says with respect. A bitter smile crosses his scarred face. "Who would have thought, indeed. The disgraced prince, fighting beside Water Tribe survivors. I will do everything in my power to help you rebuild your lives, and keep you all safe," Zuko vows.

Glancing at Anwanna clinging happily to his side, pride swells in his chest. Maybe, someday, he can begin to make amends for his family's sins. For now, supporting brave souls like Jakto is the first step. And gaining the trust of outsiders like the Avatar will be his lifelong mission. But with faith, even an exiled firebender can find redemption. Zuko smiles, and continues walking toward the new dawn they all face together. The heroes head back to camp. My sister and people hug us four. Molana hugs the two children. She then hugs Zuko with tears in here eyes.

"Thank you." She says to Zuko.

"You're welcome. I was more than happy to help get your cousins back. How are the scavengers?"

"I got most of their injuries down to just bumps and bruises. So they should be okay. Right now, they need to get some sleep. And so should the two of you. C'mere Zuko, I'll show you to your tent."

"Hey that's my tent!" Jakto proclaims. "Learn to live with it Jakto!" He growls at his sister's bold proclamation. But he is too tired to argue with her. A few moments later, everyone is settled into their tents. Molana and the kids are sleeping in the tent next to the two boys.

"Gosh, sisters are a pain. But, then again, I guess I have no room to talk, don't I? Considering how messed up your younger sister is." Zuko looks down with shame. "Oh snap. Zuko, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that."

"It's okay, Jakto. I know what you meant. But you're right, Azula has her fair share of troubles."

"Yeah. I know. Not only is she so cruel and callous, but she's just so... bratty." " Couldn't have said it any better myself." Zuko chuckles.
"I mean, who does she thinks she is? I am so much more perfect and better than all of you sheepish peasants! Now obey my every whim and order, or I'll shave your head bald, and make you clean my smelly feet!" Jakto says in a mocking tone of Azula's voice. The two boys burst out laughing, but not loud enough to wake up everyone else.

"Goodnight, Jakto. Never give up hope." "Goodnight Zuko." Jakto blows out the lamp as they get some sleep.