Prologue

What makes existence different from life?

This is a question that every single person thinks about at some point in their life, along with how do you know if what you're doing is meaningful? Are you living your best life? Are you happy or just fine? These questions are more than just about a human condition.

They are about destiny.

Simply put, to exist means to have objective reality, and to live means to remain alive. It is a choice to live, but not a choice to exist. Life requires existence, but existence doesn't require life. Ideas and laws exist without life. They don't require elements of space to exist like people do — just the Principles of time. Life needs time and space, but existence only needs time, and that makes all the difference.

Time lets us find our places in the universe by letting us experience, struggle, grow, and learn from our interactions with the universe. It grants us chances to leave our comfort zones and explore new ideas and forces beyond our horizons. Even at the youngest age, nothing quite compares to that great thrill of exploring the world up close and personal, or to the excitement of putting down a textbook and traveling to witness firsthand the footsteps of history and the secrets of science.

That great adventure has a name, and it isn't recess or playtime.

Its name is the field trip. . . .