Chapter Three: Party Crashing

After she completed her weekend assignments, Natalie joined Aunt Missy on their weekly grocery shopping trip. They joined the waiting line that snaked its way outside the market just as storm clouds rolled across the sky. Once they were allowed inside, Aunt Missy wiped down a shopping cart with a disinfectant wipe, which Natalie always found odd since Aunt Missy also wore protective gloves when in public.

Natalie waited until they were out of the produce section to bring up Adam and Barbara's housewarming party. Her aunt was always anxious in this part of the market since it was the most crowded.

"I don't understand why they can't keep the fruit and vegetables in plastic bags," Aunt Missy complained as they walked to the bakery section. "Did you see how many people were touching the apples with their bare hands? I mean, why don't we all just start shoving our hands into each other's mouths at this point?!"

"You're absolutely right, Aunt Missy," Natalie replied. "More people need to take better care of themselves. If everyone was like you, I bet the virus would have already disappeared."

"If only," Aunt Missy miserably agreed.

Natalie thought carefully about her next string of sentences.

"Wouldn't you say I've done a good job of staying safe?" she asked. "I always wear a mask when I see other people on my runs, and I always wash my hands and socially distance myself."

Aunt Missy inspected a blueberry pie before pushing the cart into the beverage aisle.

"What is it that you want, Natalie?" she asked, cutting down Natalie's sweet-talking.

"You remember I told you Adam and Barbara moved in together?"

"I do," Aunt Missy curtly replied, placing a bottle of cranberry juice in the cart.

"Well, they're having a little get-together tonight — and when I say little, I mean littler than little," Natalie rushed to say. "They both got tested a couple of weeks ago for the virus, and the results were negative. So . . . I'd really like to go see them."

Aunt Missy shook her head, wincing.

"They're in the middle of North Philadelphia. The virus is strong there."

"Yes, but we wouldn't be going out," Natalie said. "We'd just stay in their apartment. That's it. I bet I could ask them to keep the windows open so we could have fresh air in the apartment."

Aunt Missy's head was locked in a disapproving shake as they turned into the snack aisle.

"There's no such thing as a little party, Natalie. Even if Adam and Barbara were tested yesterday, they could get the virus today and give it to you tonight."

Natalie raced to the front of the shopping cart to steal Aunt Missy's attention from the bags of potato chips and pretzels.

"I'll wear a mask the whole time!" she offered. "I'll leave before people come! It'll be just the three of us, I promise! I won't even take off my mask."

This time, she succeeded in prying Aunt Missy's eyes off the shelves, but the result wasn't what she hoped for.

"It doesn't matter if only you wear a mask," Aunt Missy responded, slightly raising her voice. "Masks stop sick people from giving healthy people the virus. Adam and Barbara have to wear masks too if you're to go."

Natalie recoiled from that suggestion. "Umm, I think it's a little ridiculous to ask Adam and Barbara to wear masks in their own house."

"And I think it's ridiculous to ask to go to a party when we're in the middle of a pandemic!" Aunt Missy sharply rebuked. "End of discussion!"