Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Brightest Star

Rootbrawn and Natalie landed on the cool shores of the Djim Jungle, several miles from the ruins of Port Apottee and the Samson's bridge. As Natalie collapsed into the morning sand to rest her weary legs, Rootbrawn returned the pennar to her before taking a quick dive into the water to quell the little fires ignited all over his oaken skin. After he was thoroughly drenched, he formally thanked Natalie for saving Little Leaf.

"She is home now with her mother, safe and sound," he said, drying out his dandelion beard. "When she showed me the pennar, I felt duty-bound to pull you off the Great Captain's ship before it sank into the Avast Sun."

"Thank you," said Natalie. "It's also the second time someone's had to save me from certain death. I think I'm starting to make a terrible habit of it."

"It's not so terrible," Rootbrawn chuckled. "Choosing our friends is just as important as choosing our enemies. You placed your faith in the right people and have also earned my eternal friendship. You and the UEF fleet shall have safe passage through the Thorned Thicket on your way home, unless you intend on using the pennar for travel?"

Natalie laughed. "I can barely move myself as it is, but thanks. Do you need help getting home?"

Rootbrawn smiled. "I would greatly appreciate the transportation. Before I go, though, I have a final question for you."

"What is it?" Natalie asked.

Rootbrawn cleared mulch from his throat. "Well, I don't want to lose Little Leaf again. Physically of course, but also spiritually. I want to give her the life she wants, yet I fear for her safety. Branchfolk aren't welcome in most solar systems. How can I make my daughter understand that her true place in the universe is with her family?"

Natalie thought deeply before answering. "I don't want to see Little Leaf get hurt, but at the same time I don't want to hurt her dreams either," she expressed. "Little Leaf has to learn for herself what her strengths and weaknesses are. That means giving her space to expose herself to the universe. As scary as that might sound, there is good out there. You can't hold Little Leaf's hand forever, Rootbrawn, but that doesn't mean you have to turn your back on her. If she knows you're there for her when she needs you, I promise you she'll keep that in her heart . . . and, one day, if the time comes, she'll be there for you when you need her. Talk to her. Listen to her. Guide her, and then trust her to make the best decisions for herself. If you do that, then what's best for her will be best for you and the branchfolk, right?"

Rootbrawn humbly listened, his branches swaying with the trees of the Djim Jungle.

"How right you are, Golden Giant," he agreed. "One day, my Little Leaf won't be so little anymore. How sad it is for me to think about."

"Actually, there is one safe place for her to learn," Natalie suggested. "Have you heard of Oldear University? She could live there under the High Auctor's protection, make new friends, and learn how to use the Principles of time responsibly."

Rootbrawn weighed the offer in his trunk-like head.

"I'll have to talk with her mother about that, but it sounds like a good idea. Perhaps I'll take Little Leaf to tour the campus one day."

Natalie smiled. "Something to think about."

Rootbrawn bowed his body. "Goodbye, Golden Giant."

Natalie bowed in kind. "Goodbye, Rootbrawn."

She raised the pennar and sent Rootbrawn back to the Thorned Thicket in a flash of blue light. Natalie then glanced down the shore at the Samson's bridge. Instead of walking to it, she used the pennar to instantly transport herself there, along with her father's chest.