Chapter Twenty-Five: Port Apottee

From the comfort of the Crusader's bridge, Xorina watched her maps with smug satiety as her Mandata warships, neatly hidden in Sodom's thick clouds, pounced on the Independence now that the trap was sprung. Her ninety-eight warships shot out like a pack of ravenous piranhas, eagerly striking their prey and devouring it to its bones. The lone UEF fleetship dove down to Sodom's surface as fast as possible to escape the storm of Mandata bullets and missiles.

 The lone UEF fleetship dove down to Sodom's surface as fast as possible to escape the storm of Mandata bullets and missiles

Pacbull, you old fool, Xorina laughed to herself. Age has finally addled your mind. You think you can escape your doom in Port Apottee? How pathetic.

What General Pacbull didn't know was that the Crusader and Samson lay in wait on the bottom of the coastal floor off the shores of Port Apottee. The second the Independence broke out of the clouds, she'd sail straight into her own execution at the hands of the young Pacbull son. Though his loyalty had become a concern for Xorina of late, the Elemite admiral proved his worth to her when he revealed his father's plan for entering Sodom following a second dream with him.

"Just let me be the one to end him," was all the admiral requested from Xorina. "Please."

Now, before Xorina's black eyes, the smoking, flaming Independence reached the planet's surface. Her bruised engines could barely carry her any further. It was like watching a marathon runner trying to reach the finish line on her hands and knees.

Why do you bother carrying on, Pacbull? Xorina wondered. Sodom's Treasure is mine, and soon, so will your death.

The Knight approached Xorina's seat. "The Independence is directly above us. One more bombardment, and she will fall."

"And the treasure?"

To this, the Knight handed her a small dagger made of stone.

"Sodom's Treasure is stowed in your cabin."

Xorina beamed with delight as she pocketed her newly acquired token. At the touch of a button, she reached out to the Samson.

"Admiral Blosam, end this fight, now."

Xorina excused herself from the bridge. The Knight followed closely behind her as she made her way to her cabin to witness Sodom's Treasure for the first time.

It wasn't exactly as grand as she expected it to be. Confined in a small glass cube was a little, arborescent being. From the way teardrops of sap dribbled out her eyes, the child was harmless, yet Xorina didn't doubt that great power hid in the smallest of objects.

 From the way teardrops of sap dribbled out her eyes, the child was harmless, yet Xorina didn't doubt that great power hid in the smallest of objects