Chapter Twenty-One: Sons and Daughters

The UEFS Independence glittered in starlight like she was a new fleetship fresh from a spacedock

The UEFS Independence glittered in starlight like she was a new fleetship fresh from a spacedock. Her hull was smooth, her batteries were replaced, and the smell of fresh paint permeated her hallways. Under Admiral Everlast's command, she and her crew healed in record time. Her officers walked about with renewed strength, prepared to avenge their fallen comrades.

At the same time the Independence returned to her impressive prowess, General Pacbull recovered from his wounds and was released from the hospital rotunda. Jake remained by his side, ready to assist him in any capacity. The old man used a walking cane to tour the fleetship, interview officers about morale, and assess everyone's battle readiness.

"Our satellites show that the Mandata fleet reached Sodom," Everlast reported to Pacbull with ringed eyes (Everlast hadn't slept in over thirty-six hours

"Our satellites show that the Mandata fleet reached Sodom," Everlast reported to Pacbull with ringed eyes (Everlast hadn't slept in over thirty-six hours.) "We've been trying to locate their specific whereabouts on the planet, but we lost them when they descended into the clouds."

"Keep looking," Pacbull replied. "What about the Samson?"

"Disappeared too, sir."

General Pacbull entered the reconstructed bridge. Engineers and technicians finalized the finishing touches on the computers and monitors. Jake thought Pacbull would've relished in the sight of how clean everything was, but the general seemed preoccupied with other problems.

"How much longer until we can fly?" he asked.

"I'd say an hour," Everlast estimated. "But I should add that I've spoken with Command Castle, sir. They say if you're not certain of victory, you should return to Elem."

Pacbull solemnly nodded his head. "Thank you, Everlast. You'll be commended for this."

The admiral humbly bowed his head. "Just doing my duty, sir."

Everlast walked away and initiated several conversations with the technicians.

General Pacbull found an unused chair and achingly sat down.

"Exo . . . a word?"

Jake crouched down next to him. "Of course, sir."

"No need to call me sir," Pacbull corrected him. "I'm not speaking to you as a general. Not this time. You can address me as Arleon."