Chapter Twenty: Little Leaf

The dagger shook in the branchkid's hands like a conductor's baton. She was no taller than three and a half feet, and her fern-green eyes matched the color of her coarse skin. Her clothes reminded Natalie of a rosebush, only the roses were still young buds and hadn't blossomed yet. Her short hair had been hastily trimmed, and a single, brown leaf grew out the top of her head.

 Her short hair had been hastily trimmed, and a single, brown leaf grew out the top of her head

"St-st-stay b-b-back!" she stuttered.

Natalie crouched down into the nest, holding her hands out in peace.

"I'm not going to hurt you," she tranquilly replied as she sat down. "What's your name?"

The branchkid studied Natalie's face like she was trying to read a new language. She slowly lowered her guard.

"I'm Little Leaf," she answered, "and . . ."

Her face suddenly lit up. "YOU'RE GOLDEN GIANT! OH MY GOURD—"

Natalie reached across the nest and cupped her hand over Little Leaf's mouth. "SHHH!!"

Natalie peeked out of the nest and was beyond relieved to see no pirates were in range of Little Leaf's blabbering mouth. The Yellow Jack was all repaired and exiting the last roots of the Thorned Thicket. Stars rose over the bow.

Far out in the distance, a dime-sized planet could be seen — Sodom.

Natalie returned her attention to Little Leaf, who was perfectly enthralled that Golden Giant was covering her mouth. Natalie was about to tell Little Leaf she was wrong, but a thought struck her. Maybe Little Leaf's a fan of Golden Giant. Perhaps she could help me?

"Okay . . . it's me," Natalie whispered after some reconsideration. "I'm Golden Giant, but I'm undercover. You can't tell anyone. Got it?"

"Mm hmm!" Little Leaf nodded, after which Natalie carefully removed her hand. "I knew it was you! Your brown hair threw me off at first, but when I saw your roots, I knew it was you!"

"My roots?" Natalie asked, inspecting her hair. "My roots are brown."

"Not those roots," Little Leaf corrected. "I mean your home roots. You're not from here. It's hard to explain, but I know where people come from just by looking at them. It's the same for my brothers and sisters. Sometimes we grow new branches. Sometimes our bark changes. Sometimes our flowers grow in new spots. But at the end of the day, our roots stay the same. That's why I know you're Golden Giant, even though you don't look like yourself."

She's using a Principle of time, and she doesn't even know it, Natalie realized. Probably Sentium, which would mean that she, and every branchfolk, has starpower in them. They must've gotten it from the Thorned Thicket. That's why they can live in space. They're starpower creatures!

"How old are you, Little Leaf?" Natalie asked.

"I'll be eighty-eight years old next November!" Little Leaf proudly declared.