Chapter Fifteen: Meats and Treats

Yona's cabin was only four paces long and two paces wide, but its accommodations were rather generous

Yona's cabin was only four paces long and two paces wide, but its accommodations were rather generous. She was afforded a soft bed, writing desk, dainty wardrobe, and a polished sink. The wardrobe was already stocked with the first mate's uniform. It looked like the offspring of the Great Captain's clothes. It was adorned with lower rank symbols and patches, but commanding nonetheless.

Oh God . . . it smells awful, Yona cringed. She suspected the uniform hadn't been washed in many years. The material was also worn out, perhaps by the many bodies that had stretched it out over time.

Yona held her breath as she exchanged clothes. After inspecting herself in the mirror above the sink and upon tidying up her hair, she embarked on a journey to find the Great Captain's cabin. She ventured through the gold-lined hallways, which were enriched with rows of chandeliers and priceless paintings of worlds and galaxies that Yona had never seen before. She believed if she sold just one piece of artwork, she'd never have to work again.

She crossed paths with Quartermaster Que, whose blue nose was buried in quill and paper.

"Quartermaster!" she called out.

"First mate," he replied, standing at attention. "How may I be of service?"

Yona was amused by the fact that this man, who was beating her up not too long ago, was now taking orders from her.

"Take me to the Great Captain's cabin."

"Aye, ma'am. This way."

Que led Yona on what turned out to be a short trip to Arbaz's cabin in the rear of the Yellow Jack, but on the way, they passed through a room Yona secretly wished to visit the moment she stepped onto the pirate fleetship:

The bridge.

It had the familiar layout of a UEF fleetship, but it wasn't as expansive or technologically impressive. It only took five pirates to man the Yellow Jack. However, the bridge had a unique feature that Yona had never seen before: a floating helm. As opposed to the traditional steering wheel that spins clockwise and counterclockwise, the Yellow Jack's helm looked like two wheels that had been combined to form a crude, spherical globe. The helmsman spun one set of handles to turn the ship left and right, and then spun the other set to navigate the ship up and down.

 The helmsman spun one set of handles to turn the ship left and right, and then spun the other set to navigate the ship up and down