Of Gratitude and Love

Ace sighs as he left the kitchen. He hadn't been sleeping well since what happened in that damn storm. If it wasn't for Makoto, he would not be here. He did not want to think about it. He needed to get stronger to protect the crew and his lover. Being a damn devil fruit user, he needs to be more careful. He couldn't leave his family and Elijah like that. Taken out by the ocean was not how he wanted to die.

As he was walking on the deck, he happens to look up to see Makoto at the wheel. He closes his eyes and sighs. He straightens his posture as he opens his eyes before making his way over to the giant.

Makoto sensed the approach of the raven haired man. "Ace. Glad to see you are well." He greets, without turning to face the man. Makoto had a bandage on his head, but he was back to work otherwise. His scales remained hidden by his pants, despite the fact all the Portgas siblings had seen them already.

Ace grins. "Yeah, I'm surprised Rosi let you out of the med bay with how much of a mother hen he is."

Makoto nods. "It was a fight to get him to let me, honestly." He grins.

Ace then sighs. "You know I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you. You save my life and I'm forever in your debt." Makoto had never seen Ace without his cocky yet charming grin on his face. To see him so serious was surprising. "So thank you, brother."

Makoto looks at him, shocked. "Brother? I wasn't going to let you drown when I knew I could save you. You saw my scales, I'm part Fishman so I can swim against almost any current. Unless something hits me in the head anyway. I couldn't let any of your siblings try, they wouldn't have made it in that current." He sighs.

Ace shook his head. "Yes I saw them, but that doesn't change anything. You have done so much for us. From saving my sisters countless time, and now me." He grins as he gently placed his hand on Makoto's shoulder. "You're family and I am happy to call you my brother." Makoto looked at him with grateful eyes.

"Thank you for wanting me as your family. No one besides Sakura and Rosi has ever truly wanted me. I guess Sakura doesn't even want me anymore. You know......my mother wanted me gone so bad she even tried to kill me once or twice." He sighs. "I never told Sakura about that, or Rosi."

Ace looks at him sadly. "I'm sorry you had to go through that. I can't imagine a mother doing that to her own child." He sighs. "I'm sure Sakura had her reasons for leaving. While she was here I could tell she really cared for you in her own kind of way."

Makoto sighs. "I wish she would have talked to me, maybe I could have convinced her to stay."

Ace shakes his head. "She's a head strong and stubborn girl. You would have gone with her, if she told you she was leaving. Maybe she knew that and that is why she left the way she did. Because she knew you had family here now. She knew you are happy here and have people that care about you and vice versa. We all think of you as family. Even my parents love you like their son."

Makoto scoffs. "It only took an arrow to the ass." He chuckles.

Ace grins. "Then mom mother henning you as well. Rosi get's it from her after all."

"Please don't tell Rose about what I told you. It's not important and he doesn't need to know. I'm glad you're okay and still here with us.....brother." Makoto smiles big at him. He liked calling him that.

Ace nods. "I won't. It's not mine to tell." He then grins. "Well I should let you get back to work. Don't want our captain seeing us slacking off. Later bro." He walks off to take care of his duties. Yes he can do work too. He wasn't always sticking his dick into his adorable boyfriend.

Makoto smiles to himself. He was glad he accidentally ended up with this crew. He had a family now. One that actually cared about him.

~~~