Saving Umiko

(Rosi is short for Rosinante. It's a lot to have to constantly keep writing out his full name every time)

The ship docked at a near by island. It was very luscious in plants and greenery. Makoto stretched as his feet hit the grass. He wanted to get some space from his sister for a little while. He picked a direction and started walking, being sure to remember which direction he came from. He took in all the birds and other animals running around and making quiet noises and he felt almost peaceful. It had been a long time since he had been in an environment like this.

Umiko was excited to explore this new island. She had also wanted to find some herbs for her brothers to use to make medicines, for she knew they didn't leave the ship very often. She had quickly packed a bag of things she would need before heading out.

  She looked around, taking in all the sites and smells. She sat down and pulled out a sketchbook. She really wanted to draw the animals and plants she saw. She loved life at sea but when they discover places like these, she needed to explore. It was so beautiful.

After several minutes of sketching, something caught her eye. It was a beautiful flower across the way on a cliff. She had never seen this flower before. She moves closer to the edge to get a better look.

Just as she began to sketch it, the ground started to quake beneath her and it gave way. She felt herself begin to fall. She never would have thought this was how she would go out. Just then a large hand reached out and grabbed her.

She looked up to see Makoto. She starts to thank him before the ground gives again. She reaches up to grab hold of him, accidentally stabbing him with the pen she held in her hand. Umiko's eyes widen, she was scared and didn't mean to stab him. She began to let go quickly, apologizing. Makoto wrapped his arms around her, ignoring the pain in his arm. He spun them around so his back would hit the ground.

She clung tightly to him burying her face in his chest as they hit the ground, causing him to grunt from the pain. He tried to hide it because he didn't want Umiko to freak out more. She quickly, but carefully gets off of him. "Makoto are you okay?" She asks, concerned. He jerkily nods, trying to fight the waves of pain that washed over him.

"Th-thank you for saving me. I never would have survived that fall." She was so beyond grateful. She wasn't ready to die. "It's fine. Just doing my job." He grunts as he starts to roll over to get up. Blood trickled down his arm from where she had stabbed him. She freaks out and grabs a cloth and pressed it to the wound to help stop the bleeding. She then wrapped it around it.

"I'm so sorry. I hurt you." Her eyes teared up. He saved her life and what does she do to thank him? She hurt him. She dug through some of the herbs she gathered and found the one she was looking for. "Please eat this. It should help numb the pain until we get back to the ship." He studies her and the plant for a moment before taking and eating it. "That tastes awful." Was all he said as he stood up and helped her to her feet.

"Need to get you back to the ship so your brothers can give you a check up."  She shook her head. "I'm fine thanks to you, but you got hurt. They need to help you first." She shook her head. She carefully wrapped her arms around him slightly shaking. She was still in shock and scared, but she tried to push that aside to help her savior.

Makoto could already start to feel the plant take effect. "Im fine. I've had worse, this is nothing but a minor mishap." They slowly walked back to the ship, Umiko helping him walk even though he didn't want it. He was fine damn it!

When the ship came into view Makoto insisted she climb back on board first. She shook her head stubbornly. "I need to make sure you get onto the ship safely and to see my brothers."