CH. 4/ DON'T YOU KNOW ABOUT THE MONSTERS IN THESE WOODS?

__________

__________

The camp looked a lot less frightening in the daylight. You trudged behind Thomas as he offered the group a proper tour of the Harvest Hill. The camp was huge, with a path leading down all the way to the large, shiny lake. Birds tweeted overhead as Thomas pointed out the path, a gust of summer wind blowing a few strands of your hair out of the double braids you'd put it in this morning.

''We're setting up the lake for the water activities this afternoon,'' he said, half turning back to the group.

''What kind of activities?'' Tatum asked, arms crossed in front of her as she mindlessly toyed with her necklace.

''Canoeing, fishing, swimming, things like that,'' Thomas replied. ''If you happen to have any suggestions for activities during the summer, come and talk to me about them first.''

The group nodded as Thomas turned on his heel and beckoned the group with him.

You lingered as you allowed yourself one more moment looking over the beautiful scenery. The air smelled of pines and the sun shone warmly on your skin, chasing away the stress of your senior year of high school. You were here. You were free. You'd never felt this light.

''You okay?'' Billy asked from behind you. The rest of the group had already started following  Thomas back up the road towards the cabins, chattering loudly amongst themselves.

You turned to face him. ''Yeah, fine. Great, actually.''

Billy's eyes lingered on you as you looked back at the lake. He spoke up after a beat.

''Wouldn't wanna go down there in the dark.''

You frowned. ''Why is that?''

He kicked a rock down the steep drop off next to the path. It bounced on the rocks, twice, before disappearing in the bushes, leaving only the noise of its steady descent over the summer buzz. ''You'd break your ankles running down there in the dark.''

He caught your eye again, you sent him another confused look. ''Why would you have to run?''

For a moment, you thought you saw a flash of something in his dark eyes. Then it went, as soon as it came, replaced by a lighthearted smile. ''You don't know about the monsters in these woods, Y/N?''

You smiled back, pushing your unease to the back of your mind. This was Billy, you'd known him for years. ''Only one I know off is the one I'm talking to right now.''

Billy playfully scoffed. ''Oh, you're getting it now.''

Before you could react he had thrown you over his shoulder. You screamed, fist gripping the material of his shirt in an attempt to steady yourself as he caught up with the others. The world spun as you struggled to regain your equilibrium, and it felt like a year before Billy set you down on solid ground.