CH. 16/ SUMMER EVE SORROW

tw: ur being objectified in this chapter lol

__________

A small shed laid weathered by the elements. Foliage had grown on its edges, blending it in with the environment. It was hidden. Reclusive. It looked like it hadn't been used in years.

It was spacious enough on the inside. Enough to store a small number of things and even conceal them between a blanket of nature.

You wouldn't find it unless you knew where to look.

There was a reason Billy picked the place when he scoped the Harvest Hill out last winter.

They would need somewhere to slip away during the summer.

Brief moments, when the kids could safely be left in the care of the other counselors, like right now during the  lunch.

Stu was skipping stones over the still water while Billy sat on one of the warm boulders, looking over the rippling sun reflecting off of the lake's surface. It was serene, quiet. A stark contrast with the boy's inner turmoil.

''You're such a fucking idiot, Stu.''

Stu turned. ''I told you, man. It just happened. Fuck.''

Billy rolled his jaw and pointedly avoided his friends gaze. Inside, he was seething. Keeping himself away from you had been hard enough without Stu stampeding through the plan he'd carefully thought out for the summer.

It was so simple.

Utilize Sidney and Tatum's existing attraction to form trust, making the final blow so much easier and so much more devastating. A last bid in Billy's attempt to prove to the world how much love was a hoax.

It had to be.

It had to be because if it wasn't, then he'd have no other explanation as to why you hadn't returned his affection all of senior year. He'd watched from the sides as you dated Jimmy, held you when he inevitably fucked up time after time, only for you to put him aside.

It haunted him. The ghost of what could've been if he had just manned up and told you how he felt.

''Look, it won't happen again,'' Stu continued as he kept chucking stones across the lake. ''You've got it so much easier, dude. Sidney's glued to you ever since you started making these lovey eyes at her. I look away one second and Tatum's flirting with that lifeguard.''

Billy's piercing stare turned to Stu.

''Then do something about it.''

Stu looked back. ''Do what? Kill him?''

''No, fuck no. Not yet, are you crazy? They'd disband the camp immediately.'' Billy fought the urge to roll his eyes.

Stu didn't get it. He was careless, and it annoyed Billy to no end. He was so driven by his emotions, so unable to keep them in check.