Chapter 17

You sighed, resting your head against the cool glass of the Commission car, watching as the buildings seemed to blur past your window. It was a beautiful evening, the summer sun well below the horizon now, stars just beginning to twinkle above you. You observed as businesses started to turn on their signs, combating the ever-darkening sky and giving your eyes something colorful to take in. Despite the perfect evening outside your window, your world felt like it was slowly falling apart. Your stomach felt like it had flipped in on itself, despite the text messages you had received from Haruki, reassuring you that everything was going to go great.

You had enjoyed talking to her; she was exceptionally kind and had a motherly way about her that you hadn't had the pleasure of encountering before. It was a stark contrast to your own mother, who always seemed to have something better to do than spend time with you. Haruki had gone with you from store to store, helping you look for something that would undoubtedly render Hawks speechless.

It had taken some time and a few stores, but finally, she had found something that had her bouncing with excitement. She quickly handed it to you, her eyes wide with anticipation, and her smile infectious.

"This one, this is it for sure!" she exclaimed, and you blinked at her in surprise, turning your gaze down to the garment in your hands. "Go on! Try it on!"

You sighed but didn't argue, heading into the fitting room and slipping it on without hesitation. You adjusted the zipper, took a moment to admire yourself in the mirror, and ran a hand through your hair. Even you had to admit that you looked amazing. The crimson velvet fabric fit you perfectly, accentuating your curves in a way most of your own clothes didn't. The neckline was cut low enough that with the right bra, you knew your chest would be on full display. The fabric ended just above your knees, with a slit in the right leg that allowed for more movement than you had expected. You took a deep breath before stepping out of the dressing room.

"Holy fucking shit!" Haruki exclaimed as she took in the outfit. She circled around you like a predator eyeing its prey, scanning you from head to toe. "Where have you been hiding that body, girl? This is perfect."

"Really?" You asked, your eyes shifting to the mirror on the wall. "You don't think it's too much for a dinner date?"

"You might just skip dinner and go straight to dessert with this!" she said with a smirk, and you could feel your face flushing. She chuckled, enjoying your reaction before shaking her head. "No, I don't think it's too much. The restaurant you're going to is quite upscale, so you'll fit in perfectly."

You hadn't thought about that, and suddenly you frowned, reaching for the tag on the dress. Haruki was quick to intercept your hand before you could even look at the price. "Haruki," you said with a frown, gently removing her hand from your wrist as embarrassment washed over you. "I don't think I can afford this, honestly."

It wasn't a complete lie. You still had a decent amount of money left over from the Commission's payout, but you had allocated most of it toward catching up on bills and building your savings. Now, you had just enough to cover your first meeting with a lawyer, and you were determined not to touch that account.

"You don't worry about that. It's on Hawks today," she said, and your eyes widened.

"Oh no, I couldn't possibly..." you started to argue, squeaking in surprise as she grasped your arm and pulled you down to look you directly in the face.

"You absolutely can!" she said, her tone serious as she gazed at you. "He owes you for the absolute bullshit I know he's pulled. So you take this dress, and you don't even think twice about it, understood?"

In the end, Haruki won, swiftly snagging the dress from you the second you walked back out the changing room and purchasing it, along with a pair of heels to match. She swiftly handed you the bags as you walked outside, giving you a large smile. "Are you okay with hair and makeup?" she asked and you nodded. You knew enough to make it look good, you were sure you could pull it off without an issue.