Chapter 50

"Why the hell didn't you tell me how freaking hard kid furniture is to put together?" Hawks' voice whined through the phone as soon as she picked it up. She laughed in response, leaning back in her chair with a soft sigh. Of all the possible conversations she could have with her boss and honestly her best friend, never in her life did she think this would be one of them.

Yet it was happening. The infamous Hawks, The Commission's little playboy, the man that swore he would never settle down and fall in love, on the phone with her complaining about putting together his stepdaughter's bed. It really was funny how much life had changed in the last few months. Him settling down into family life, despite his attempts to sabotage it for himself. Moving his girlfriend in, getting help with his issues, taking on the role of stepfather so eagerly. He was honestly happier than she'd ever seen him before, which made her happy. If anyone deserved a happy ending, it was Hawks. That poor boy had been through enough.

She would be forever grateful for the way he had changed her life too. He was beyond generous, friendly, always there to help and support her. If he hadn't given her that job all those years ago now, she doubted her life would be half as good. She owed him a lot, especially considering the raises he'd given her had paid for their fertility treatments. They'd tried for years after Chiyo was born, but nothing had worked. While she was well aware that if Hawks had known her struggle, he would've insisted on helping, she wanted to earn that money herself. And she had, and now a new life was nestled safely inside her, a perfect little blessing in every single way.

"If you think that's hard, wait until you have to put together a crib," she retorted, and he quickly scoffed in return.

"That's never happening; Himari is it for me," he said firmly, causing her to clench her jaw in frustration. She understood his reasons, but she still disliked it for him. It was so obvious he was going to be such an amazing dad, and it felt like a missed opportunity for him not to have any more kids. She just had to hold out hope that one day he'd change his mind, that the Commission would let him go, and he could finally find his freedom.

"So you say for now–"

"Haruki," his voice low in warning, letting out a deep breath. "I'm not going to change my mind about it. Just because you're having a baby doesn't mean I have to. So just let it go."

"Ugh, fine. Our kids could've grown up together and been best friends, but be stubborn," she huffed, and he chuckled into the phone in response.

"Himari and Chiyo are almost the same age. Don't pout," he answered, and she sighed in response, rolling her eyes as she tried to adjust herself to help alleviate her backache. Had pregnancy always been this challenging, or was this one just different?

"Babies aside, you have to tell me about your birthday. We haven't really had a chance to talk since Christmas dinner. Thank you again for all of our gifts, but I am telling you it's not necessary anymore, Hawks. You don't have to go all out like that."

"Nope, we're not having this argument again—Oh god damn it!" He suddenly cursed, sucking in a breath, and she couldn't stop the giggle that escaped her. "Maybe I should wait until Y/N gets back from the store before I really do some damage to my fingers."

"Probably for the best, you Bird Brain. Otherwise, you'll be in no shape to go back to work tomorrow. To be honest, I'm dreading it myself. It's been nice not having Mamoru up my ass all day."

There was a significant pause, and she could hear him shifting over the phone before he let out a soft breath. "You've noticed it too?"

"It's hard not to when he's always like two centimeters from me at all times," she replied, and he groaned into the phone, his frustration obvious.