Patronus

After the meeting Lucius had suggested a small impromptu gathering on the patio to celebrate the new members and the progress they had made. Voldemort agreed when he saw Hadria's smile at the idea of having time to visit with her friend. Most of the Death Eaters remained and headed out to the patio as well. It was a lovely evening to relax outside. A fountain nearby bubbled a soft melody as everyone mingled and relaxed in the quiet warm evening under a blanket of stars overlooking the gardens.

As they settled in the elves appeared...silent attendants, their eyes knowing. Trays of delicate snacks materialized...crystallized fruits, spiced nuts, and tiny pastries. Wine flowed, crimson and rich, in crystal goblets. The clink of glass against glass punctuated the quietude, a toast to survival and ambition.

Hadria sat on the low wall overlooking the garden as she talked to Hermione. Voldemort and Severus stood by listening as Hadria retold the story of the Dementors to Hermione.

"...I couldn't get my Patronus charm to work for some reason. I suppose nerves got me...they were closing in and suddenly there was darkness," Hadria said, her gaze shifting to Voldemort. His blue eyes held hers, a silent acknowledgment. "But it was him. He swooped down, shielding me from the Dementors. He commanded them to leave, and they obeyed. He saved me."

Hermione's eyes widened. She had heard tales of Voldemort's cruelty, his insatiable hunger for power. But this...this was different. A hero emerging from the shadows, a savior with blood-stained hands.

Voldemort's lips curved into a rare smile. "You make me out to be a hero, my dear."

Voldemort regarded her warmly, the flicker of nearby torchlights dancing across her skin, the way her fingers brushed against her wineglass.

Hadria's amusement danced in her eyes. "Well, you are to me," she replied, unyielding. Her loyalty was unwavering, her heart entangled in the dark magic that bound them. Hermione smiled as she stood by Severus.

The elves moved silently, refilling glasses, their eyes reflecting their decades of servitude. The fountain's song continued...a melody of forgotten dreams and forbidden desires.

Hermione's curiosity danced in her eyes as she sipped her wine. "That's quite a story...thank goodness he was there to save you. Have you tried casting it again?"

Hadria pondered for a moment, her fingers tracing the familiar contours of her wand. "Well, no," she replied, her voice laced with determination.

"But I'm sure it was just nerves. Here, let's try." She stood, wand poised toward the lush green lawn. Voldemort observed, his deep blue gaze unyielding. It was the one thing he'd never been able to master...the elusive Patronus charm...which requires thoughts of happiness to cast.

"Come on, Hermione, do it with me," Hadria urged, her laughter infectious. Hermione obliged, wand at the ready.

"Alright, together."

"Expecto Patronum!"

In a shimmer of magic, Hadria's white arctic fox materialized, darting playfully around Hermione's otter. The girls giggled, their spirits lifted by the ethereal creatures dancing in the moonlight. But Hadria's curiosity lingered.

"My lord," she addressed Voldemort, her smile genuine, "what is yours?"

Voldemort's smile held a touch of melancholy.

"My dear," he said softly, "I cannot cast a Patronus. My soul is far too fractured and dark for such a charm." His gaze followed the spectral forms, their blue luminescence weaving patterns in the night.

Hadria's soft words hung in the air like a fragile spell, weaving threads of possibility. "You should try. Perhaps...perhaps things have changed," she murmured, her eyes fixed on Voldemort. His smile, a rare occurrence, danced on the edge of acceptance.