The Galactic Federation

The night dragged on slowly as Taiga stocked napkins, her mind scattered and her focus wavering. She found herself recounting the damned things more than three times already, her emotions still raw from her recent tears. Without makeup to conceal her vulnerability, she couldn't hide the evidence of her distress, though no one dared to inquire about its cause.

Across the room, Kaail sat alone at a table, his gaze fixed on her. Gratitude swelled within Taiga for everything he had done for her. Despite feeling conflicted about using him against those who had wronged her, she sensed he harbored no resentment and even entertained the notion that he would have exacted vengeance on her behalf if she had asked. Taiga couldn't help but wonder what he thought of her perceived weakness, knowing only basic defensive stances and relying on the instinct to flee rather than fight.

"Where is your head tonight?" Derrick voice called for her.

"You don't want to know." She sighed.

"The Yautja..." He began.

"Kaail." She interjected.

"Kaail... Was him your date yesterday?" He asked. Taiga simply nodded." He is going to take you away, right?"

Taiga smiled to him, she could sense he was worried." Yes."

"I don't know if I like it." He lowered his voice. " He can't just whisk you away like that!."

"It's not like that. We talked. We understood each other. He gave me a choice. I want to go with him." She explained still smiling gently.

" Just promise that if things go south, you will find your way back."

"Derrick... You said to me that you wanted me to be happy right?"  - He nodded...- "I am happy. With him."

Derrick's impending words were abruptly halted by an agitated Sara. "Boss, someone's asking for you. They claim to be from the Galactic Federation."

Taiga observed as they hurried towards the entrance hall, a sense of unease settling in her gut. The arrival of representatives from the Galactic Federation rarely heralded good news. Abandoning the task of stocking napkins, she made her way to the bar, a nagging feeling gnawing at her instincts. With a quick grab, she snatched an energy drink, bracing herself for the unsettling developments that lay ahead.

Seating a couple at table twenty-eight, Taiga was halfway through her drink when commotion in the entrance hall seized her attention. The muffled sounds of heated arguments reached her ears, though the words eluded comprehension. She saw when Avien left the bar counter and went inside, towards Derrick's office, coming back a few minutes latter, bringing his open notebook. Behind her, a very agitated and clearly angry Orc.

As she placed an order at the kitchen station, a sudden commotion erupted as a group of individuals barged into the saloon. Among them were two police officers, two men in formal suits, and a tall, blue-skinned Pletorian adorned in the traditional garb of the Galactic Federation. Taiga's stomach lurched as her gaze fell upon Nicole, accompanied by the other fake-tanned snu-snu, her arm encased in a cast, standing behind them. The unexpected assembly left Taiga's nerves on edge.

"I am looking for a Human called Mary Ann." The pletorian silky voice bounced in the walls.

Taiga took a deep breath. Looking at the smug smile in the Snu-snu's faces, she had a vague suspicion of what was happening."That would be me. How may I assist you?" She gave a slight bow.

The blue alien looked at her up and down with clear disdain. "We received innumerous complaints about your conduct as a human waitress working under the Federation law. What do you have to say in your defense?"