chapter 1

In the first year of Tai Xi, on the day of Lidong, less than a year before the Empress' coronation ceremony, Empress Chu Yin passed away.
White mourning lanterns were hung at the entrances of various palaces within the imperial residence.
Continuous cries of mourning echoed, as everyone lamented the loss of the young Empress.
Chu Yin felt the same.
She mourned the loss of her youthful years, her life as brilliant as a rainbow, all of which came to an abrupt end at the age of twenty-four due to a mere cold.
She found it hard to accept!
Chu Yin's soul desperately tried to merge back with her now cold body, only to pass through it each time. Sighing, she turned to look at the silent man sitting beside her.
Her husband, the reigning Emperor Lu Jingzhao.
He always wore a serious expression. Had it not been for his handsome features, his status as the eldest legitimate son, she would have never wanted to marry him. But after their marriage, they respected each other: he was neither harsh nor restrictive, did not take concubines, and valued her family, exceeding her expectations.
Since their marriage wasn't based on deep love, she did not expect him to shed tears over her death. She only hoped he would treat their two children well and not remarry too soon.
She drifted close to him, warning, "The status of our son, Prince Xu, must never be altered. I will watch him ascend the throne. If you depose him for the sake of your future heir, I will never forgive you, even as a ghost!"
Of course, he couldn't hear her; his eyelashes lowered, and to her surprise, tears fell.
Chu Yin was shocked.
She drew closer to observe him.
Yet he bowed his head, covering his face with both hands.
"Ah Yin..." he murmured softly.
Such a longing, affectionate voice was something she had never heard from him before.
Since Lu Jingzhao became the Crown Prince, his focus had always been clear, filled with grand ambitions and great undertakings. She had thought that a man like him would never care for love and affection, but surprisingly, she too had a place in his heart.
After a moment of reflection, Chu Yin went to seek her children.
The twins, a boy and a girl, were just six years old. Despite their young age, they were crying and calling for their mother.
She desperately wanted to embrace and comfort them, but all her attempts were in vain. Chu Yin's heart shattered with their crying, yet her soul could not shed tears.
She circled restlessly, over and over.
A wind started to blow within the palace, as if mourning.
Time flew by swiftly.
Her spirit wandered the imperial city for twelve years.
As time passed, the palace underwent massive changes. She witnessed her husband's demise, her son's ascension and subsequent imprisonment, and the new rebel emperor's decree to imprison her Chu family.
In that moment, Chu Yin's soul was torn apart, plunging into darkness.
It was as if she could finally cry.
She cried unrestrainedly.
Her cries echoed to the heavens.
Lian Qiao was startled and gently pushed Chu Yin's shoulder: "Crown Princess, please wake up. Are you having a nightmare?" She called for Ren Dong, "The Crown Princess has been crying, come quickly."
Ren Dong, who was originally tidying clothes in the adjoining room, hurried in upon hearing this.
The two of them called out to Chu Yin together.
Finally, Chu Yin opened her eyes.
Her vision was blurry, and she struggled to discern her surroundings.
"Crown Princess, did you have a nightmare?" Lian Qiao wiped her tears with a handkerchief.
Crown Princess?
Chu Yin turned her head to stare at her.
In her memory, Lian Qiao, concerned about her mother at home, had asked to leave the palace after reaching a certain age and shouldn't be here.
Her eyes suddenly widened: "What year and month is it now?"
Lian Qiao was taken aback: "Year and month... It's the third year of Jianxing, May."
Chu Yin's mind thundered.
Not only was she alive, but she had also returned to fifteen years ago.
She was twenty-one years old!
She was alive!
Chu Yin almost jumped up in excitement.
"Crown Princess, the precious child Zhen is awake and looking for you. Should I bring her over?" a palace maid's voice came from outside.
Oh, her dear Zhen, her beloved little Zhen. Chu Yin hurriedly got out of bed, not bothering to comb her hair or put on a coat, rushing towards the door like a gust of wind, leaving the palace maids agape.
"Crown Princess, please don't rush!" Lian Qiao looked at Ren Dong, "What's gotten into the Crown Princess? She seems like a completely different person. What kind of nightmare did she have?"
Ren Dong, obviously clueless, just picked up the outer garment and followed.
Chu Yin ran to the side hall and scooped up Lu Zhen into her arms, peppering her chubby cheeks with kisses, leaving Lu Zhen bewildered, babbling, "Mommy... so much saliva, ah!"
Chu Yin stopped kissing and held her face, "Zhen, Mommy missed you."
After her death, she had watched from the heavens as her little girl grew from six to eighteen, watched her get married and be blissfully in love with her husband, sweeter than honey.
She had watched her for twelve years, yet could not touch her!
Tears involuntarily fell from her eyes.
Lu Zhen, anxious, reached out her little hand to wipe them, "Mom, don't cry, I missed you too."
Her heart melted: "Okay, Mommy won't cry." She halted her tears and kissed her daughter again.
"Where's Xu?" she asked about her son.
"Brother loves to sleep," said Lu Zhen.
That wasn't a love for sleep; it was just hard for him to get up in the morning. He would grow out of it. Chu Yin, holding Lu Zhen, said, "Let's go wake up your brother."
Lu Zhen, only three years old and quite small, should not have been heavy, yet after a while, Chu Yin's forehead was beaded with sweat.
Qi Niang, who always took care of Lu Zhen, said, "Let me carry her."
Chu Yin's arms were indeed sore, so she handed Lu Zhen over.
No wonder she later succumbed to a minor cold.
Her body really wasn't that strong. She was young and yet struggled to carry her daughter; of course, later... she suddenly remembered, before catching the cold, she had suffered a miscarriage.
In the royal family, having many children is considered a blessing, and she herself loved children. She had been heartbroken and frustrated about not having more, but now she realized her health had always been fragile.
Ren Dong, catching up with her, draped a coat over Chu Yin: "You might frighten the children like this."
Chu Yin paused, hurriedly tidied her hair, wiped her face, and then asked her daughter, "Do I look scary like this?"
Dressed only in her undergarments, her hair unbound and her pale face devoid of makeup, tear-stained, Chu Yin looked vulnerable. Yet Lu Zhen shook her head, "Not scary at all, Mommy. You're the prettiest, even prettier than a fairy."
Chu Yin smiled broadly, "Zhen has such good taste."
Ren Dong held her forehead.
One bold enough to compliment, the other to accept.
Still, fairies were celestial beings, and it was uncertain if the Crown Princess could compare, but she was undoubtedly a rare beauty. Her current behavior was just a bit too odd. Fortunately, the Crown Prince was not present; otherwise, what would people think?
Chu Yin, however, was too eager to see her son.
As expected, Lu Xu was sound asleep.
She bent down to kiss him, waking him up with her affection.
"Mom," Lu Xu opened his mouth wide in surprise, "what's wrong with you?" He looked bewildered.
The wet nurse Mrs. Zhou and the maids in the side hall were also stunned.
They had never seen Chu Yin like this.
As a Crown Princess of a distinguished family, she was always dignified and graceful, never behaving so unreservedly.
Unable to hold back, Ren Dong reminded her, "Crown Princess, you have to pay respects to the Empress Dowager later. Shouldn't you start getting ready?"
Having seen both children, Chu Yin gradually calmed down. Reborn, she was determined to protect them and deal with her enemies gradually, without rush or fear.
She smiled and instructed Lu Xu and Lu Zhen, "Eat well."
The siblings nodded obediently.
Chu Yin returned to the main hall to begin her morning grooming.
The imperial kitchen gradually brought in a delicious breakfast.
She had died at the age of twenty-four, and her memories of events three years prior were hazy. For instance, today she couldn't recall anything significant happening, although she frequently visited and returned from the Kun Ning Palace due to her mother-in-law's poor health.
Strangely enough, her mother-in-law, always frail, outlived her father-in-law, Emperor Jianxing.
The Emperor had only two more years to live.
Perhaps it was due to his licentiousness...
He had taken six concubines while in Qingzhou, and after his ascension, he selected additional concubines, totaling around twenty.
Compared to other debauched emperors, this was not much, but it was still a disservice to her mother-in-law.
Chu Yin shook her head.
The breakfast was exquisite, including her favorite stewed silverfish, marinated goose eggs, pearl meatballs, yulan petals, and bamboo mushrooms. Having lingered as a spirit for twelve years, she sometimes craved these delicacies.
But back then, she could only reminisce about their flavors.
Now, she could savor them once more.
She ate with exceptional relish.
Lian Qiao and Ren Dong observed quietly, wondering what kind of dream the Crown Princess had that even affected her appetite.
In early summer, the gardenias, hydrangeas, and pomegranate flowers outside the palace blossomed profusely. Chu Yin closed her eyes to savor the fragrances.
Her sense of smell and taste had returned.
Being alive felt wonderful!
A sweet smile curled her lips.
A carriage awaited outside, and she rode to the Kun Ning Palace.
Along the way, birds chirped and flowers bloomed under the clear blue sky, everything pleasing to her eyes.
"Where is the Crown Prince?" she inquired about her husband.
Lian Qiao paused, "He's of course at the Chunhui Pavilion. Isn't the Crown Prince always there attending lectures at this hour, unless summoned by the Emperor?"
Indeed.
Her father-in-law was still in good health, so there was no need for Lu Jingzhao to serve as regent.
She asked Lian Qiao for a small mirror and examined her reflection.
The difference between twenty-one and twenty-four wasn't significant; the former was younger and thus, naturally, more flawless. She was quite pleased.
Upon reaching the Kun Ning Palace, she was about to enter when a palace maid informed her that the Empress Dowager was suffering from her chronic illness and there was no need for formal visits for the time being.
As expected, Chu Yin expressed her concern and then headed towards the Chunhui Pavilion.
Her visits here were rare; unless it was something important, she would not set foot in this place, so the gatekeepers were surprised to see her.
After they greeted her, Chu Yin said, "Do not disturb His Highness. I will enter myself."
Chunhui Pavilion lacked flowers, only lush shrubs and tall trees, offering a cool retreat in summer with a subtle fragrance of ink in the air.
She walked to the window and bent down to look inside.
The Crown Prince at this time was also very young, with distinct features, handsome eyebrows, and a bright smile; everything about him was just right, except for a somewhat annoyingly serious demeanor.
Having experienced those twelve years, she knew that the Crown Prince never remarried after her death. The position of Empress remained vacant, and more so, he deeply missed her, often whispering her pet name in the quiet of the night.
"Love deep as theirs does not lead to longevity," and he did not live to a ripe old age.
Chu Yin couldn't help but knock on the window.
Lu Jingzhao slightly turned his head, and upon seeing the lady outside, he smiled, his demeanor as bright as the spring sunshine.