chapter 59

"Serving the Crown Prince for years, Dong Ling acutely sensed his displeasure and rushed to find Rendong without delay."
"Chu Yin glanced at his retreating figure, then withdrew her gaze, 'Your Highness... you're not angry, are you?'"
"His tone seemed off."
"Lu Jingzhuo responded, 'No.'"
"But maybe a little. His gaze fell on the thumb ring, having anticipated teaching Chu Yin archery in the carriage, both wearing the same thumb ring. Yet, the reality was different from his expectations, leaving him slightly disappointed."
"'Let's go for archery,' he suggested."
"Chu Yin tugged at his sleeve, 'Really not angry?'"
"She recalled Rendong's reminder, but she had been too absorbed in folding and hadn't paid attention."
"Could Lu Jingzhuo be upset about that?"
"Though he wasn't someone who easily got angry."
"Lu Jingzhuo didn't answer but instead grasped her chin and fiercely kissed her tender, rosy lips."
"After the kiss, he picked up the armguards and handguards to put them on Chu Yin."
"With a calm demeanor and meticulous actions, Chu Yin observed him, her gaze finally resting on his right thumb, remembering he hadn't worn a thumb ring the last time he taught her archery."
"She couldn't help but laugh."
"He paused in his movements, 'Why are you laughing?'"
"Chu Yin replied, 'I just noticed Your Highness wearing a thumb ring.'"
"She suspected he wore it intentionally to match with her, as he usually practiced archery on the horse track and had no need to wear it at that moment. He never treated it as an ornament; she hadn't seen this thumb ring in her previous life."
"Chu Yin laughed again."
"Her laugh was soft and slightly sweet."
"Lu Jingzhuo suddenly had the urge to pin her down."
"Undeniably, his emotions fluctuated because of Chu Yin. Now, his feelings for her might have deepened beyond mere concern."
"He had just been jealous of the time Chu Yin spent with their son compared to him."
"Before, he never cared about such things."
"After silently fitting the armguards and handguards, he put the thumb ring on her."
"Their thumbs touched, the rings clinking together with a crisp sound."
"In that moment, he wished Chu Yin would always wear this thumb ring, never taking it off, every second of every day."
"The intensity in his eyes was fleeting."
"Lu Jingzhuo picked up the bow and arrows, leading her outside."
"Chu Yin still remembered the stance he initially taught her, adopting the correct position without needing much reminder."
"What she lacked was strength, accuracy, and experience."
"Lu Jingzhuo held her hand, drawing the bow, aiming, and then released the day's first arrow."
"It shot forth with thunderous force, piercing right through the center of the target."
"Rubbing her hand, Chu Yin thought to herself, he definitely took out his frustration on the target just now."
"'I'll do it myself,' she said."
"Otherwise, they might run out of targets."
"Lu Jingzhuo offered no objection."
"After she had practiced for a while, he suddenly mentioned, 'Your aunt passed away.'"
"Chu Yin put down the bow and arrow, 'How is that possible? How did she die?'"
"It seemed too early for such an event, didn't it?"
"Lu Jingzhuo replied, 'She poisoned herself.'"
"The cause of death was the same as in her previous life. Chu Yin asked, 'Why did she take poison?'"
"'The Yao family elders discovered she had poisoned their eldest son years ago and found poison in her room. They intended to take her to the authorities, leaving her no choice but suicide.'"
"......"
"Chu Yin hadn't expected that Lady Yao had also poisoned her husband's brother. No wonder she was so cunning in her previous life, eluding even the imperial physicians. It must have been Lu Jingzhuo who discreetly ordered her execution after uncovering the truth."
"As for why it was kept secret, it was probably because of her mother-in-law."
"If her mother-in-law knew she had unwittingly brought Lady Yao into the palace, causing her daughter-in-law's miscarriage, she would have felt tremendous guilt."
"Chu Yin glanced at Lu Jingzhuo, wanting to ask if there was another reason for Lady Yao's death but then decided against it."
"As long as Lady Yao was no longer a threat, that was what mattered."
"Lu Jingzhuo was a future emperor; she was not unfamiliar with his methods."
"But she couldn't appear too calm, so Chu Yin feigned shock, 'I never expected the dream I had that day to be so accurate, that my aunt was such a ruthless person... Should we tell mother?'"
"'No need, mother will find out in a few days,' he replied."
"Chu Yin sighed deeply, 'My aunt seemed so gentle. Mother probably won't believe it, and what about my cousin...'"
"While she was expressing her sorrow, Rendong was shivering in fear."
"'Who will teach me paper folding now? Dong Ye, please teach me!'"
"Dong Ling responded, 'How should I know? You figure it out.'"
"Seeing him about to leave, Rendong quickly squatted down to hug his legs, 'Master Dong, please give me some guidance. If I can't learn this, I might have to leave the Eastern Palace. I can manage to learn some juggling, but I've never heard of anyone who can fold paper. Should I learn from the Third Prince? But he said it takes him days to fold a single horse. I can't do that, and he probably won't teach me!'"
"Rendong was only eighteen, and though Dong Ling was just five years his senior, as the Crown Prince's close attendant, all the minor attendants addressed him respectfully."
"Yet Rendong wasn't an ordinary attendant either; the Crown Prince's legitimate eldest son would one day be the Crown Prince himself."
"Dong Ling's eyes shifted, 'There is someone who can help you, but don't try to be clever. If the Crown Prince finds out, not only will you not be able to stay in the Eastern Palace, but your life might be at risk. So, you better learn earnestly, even if you can't master it.'"
"It was as if he said nothing and everything at once. After pondering, Rendong released him, 'I will always remember your kindness, Master Dong.'"
"With his legs freed, Dong Ling hurried back to the Crown Prince."
"A few days later, the news of Lady Yao's death indeed reached Empress Dowager Jiang."
"Empress Dowager Jiang was shocked, saying to Chu Yin, 'Heavens, I thought it was a mistake. I asked repeatedly and only then realized she really poisoned people... Why would she do this? Couldn't matters be resolved amicably?'"
"Indeed, why resort to poison?"
"Regrettably, 'Different people have different minds and ways,' making mutual understanding challenging. Chu Yin spent some time consoling her mother-in-law."
"Of course, the most shocked was Princess Baocheng."
"She had pleaded with her brother for Lady Yao's sake, never expecting her to be..."
"A poisoner?"
"Why were such people always around her?"
"First it was Jiang Yuyuan, then Jiang Xian, and now her cousin."
"Princess Baocheng wondered if she was cursed with bad luck, for why else would her eagerly sought-after ideal man be obstructed by her own dearly loved brother?"
"Restless at night, the Princess visited the Baima Temple early the next day before dawn to dispel bad luck with prayers."
"The abbot of the temple personally conducted the ceremony for the visiting Princess."
"Emerging from Baima Temple, Princess Baocheng felt refreshed and invigorated, as if her misfortunes had been cleansed away."
"She then took a carriage to the palace."
"'Brother, I must have been blind before, misjudging everyone. But from now on, it'll be different!' she recounted her experience of dispelling bad luck at the temple, 'Eyes washed by the Buddha's light cannot err again!'"
"Emperor Jianxing looked at his sister as one would a child."
"Being blind or not isn't something that can be remedied just by dispelling bad luck."
"'Have you considered another suitor?' he asked while reviewing official documents."
"At the mention of this, Princess Baocheng became despondent again, 'I haven't found anyone who surpasses him.'"
"'Well, take your time. You're not in a rush,' he said. Being thirty-seven, a year or two wouldn't make much difference, unlike a young lady eager to marry. 'When do you plan to invite Jingzhuo and Chu Yin over as guests, as you mentioned before?'"
"'I almost forgot,' her eyes lit up, 'Let's do it the day after tomorrow morning. I'll start preparing. Brother, please send someone to inform them in advance. Oh, and Xu and Zhen haven't been out for a while. Why not let them come too?'"
"The Emperor agreed."
"Going out of the palace was certainly a good thing. While Chu Yin was pleased, she was also puzzled. Why did Princess Baocheng suddenly want to invite them to her residence? If it was to celebrate her moving in, wasn't it a bit late?"
"She had been living there for quite some time already..."
"Suddenly, Lu Xu ran in, exclaiming, 'Mother, mother, Rendong has fainted! What should we do?'"
"Chu Yin quickly sent Rendong to check."
"Rendong soon returned, confirming, 'He really has fainted.'"
"Since Rendong had been a great help in the Eastern Palace and her son liked him, Chu Yin instructed, 'Find an attendant to go to the Imperial Medical Bureau. Explain the situation and ask them to prescribe something.'"
"'Yes,' Rendong immediately set off to do so."
"Lu Xu was anxious, 'Rendong can't play with me anymore, mother...'"
"Rendong, only eighteen, shouldn't faint without reason. Chu Yin questioned Lu Xu's maid for details."
"It turned out that Rendong had been serving the young master during the day and learning paper folding at night. Unable to master it and fearing failure, coupled with exhaustion, he had suddenly fainted that morning."
"The root cause of this trouble was Lu Jingzhuo."
"Chu Yin reassured her son, 'Don't worry, he's just tired. He'll be fine after taking some medicine.'"
"'Really?' Lu Xu, wiping his eyes, asked, 'You're not lying to me, mother?'"
"Seeing him cry, Chu Yin unexpectedly thought of Zhou Shi. Was her son becoming too dependent on Rendong?"
"No, that couldn't be. Her son adored his father and listened to him. Rendong couldn't be the cause of any trouble."
"His tears were merely for his 'little friend.'"
"'I'm not lying, he'll wake up,' she assured."
"The diagnosis from the Imperial Medical Bureau was indeed extreme fatigue."
"After receiving the right treatment, Rendong quickly regained consciousness."
"Seeing her son's smile, Chu Yin said to Rendong, 'You don't need to worry about paper folding anymore. I'll speak to His Highness, and you won't have to do it again. Just rest for the next few days.'"
"Upon hearing this, Rendong immediately realized that the person Dong Ling referred to was the Crown Princess."
"He knelt down, 'This servant thanks the Crown Princess for her great kindness.'"
"This matter definitely needed to be mentioned to Lu Jingzhuo."
"Chu Yin thought it over and found the paper boat she had folded earlier for her son."
"When she saw Lu Jingzhuo, she said, 'Rendong is too earnest but utterly unskilled at folding paper. Despite his efforts, he only wasted paper and fainted, which even scared Xu to tears. I've decided it's best for him to stop learning.'"
"Lu Jingzhuo, who was washing his hands, paused, 'He fainted?'"
"'Yes, fortunately, someone found him. It could have been worse if it happened at night...'"
"Lu Jingzhuo hadn't intended any harm for Rendong. Frowning, he remarked, 'Can't he adapt? And there's no one else who can fold paper? He didn't even think to ask around?'"
"'There really isn't anyone in the palace.'"
"Lu Jingzhuo fell silent for a moment, then turned to her, 'So you're going to keep trying? Obsessing over it?' It took her an entire afternoon to fold a single boat?"
"He had figured it out."
"'Just trying. If I can't manage, I'll give up,' Chu Yin said, turning to get the boat, and presented it with both hands, 'Here, for Your Highness.'"
"The little boat rested securely in her delicate palm; it wasn't elaborate, but it was charming..."
"Lu Jingzhuo looked at it for a moment, then reached out to take it, 'Don't spend too much time on it and be careful not to hurt your hands.'"
"With her bribe successful, Chu Yin smiled, 'Alright.'"