chapter 4

After careful examination, Liu Yipan found no signs of physical weakness, only that the Crown Princess was overly delicate. It wasn't an illness, so after prescribing a tonic, he recommended she practice the Five-Animal Frolics and the Eight Pieces of Brocade exercises.
"Before joining the Imperial Medical Bureau, I often treated illnesses in prestigious families. Young ladies who seldom step outside tend to be somewhat frail. You need not worry."
Was she being overly anxious, seeing problems where there were none?
But Liu Yipan was a renowned healer, unlikely to make a mistake. Chu Yin decided to relax and focus on her exercises.
At this point, Lu Jingzhao asked, "Is her constitution strong enough to bear a child?"
Chu Yin was startled and looked towards Lu Jingzhao.
She didn't recall ever hearing him speak in such terms.
Did he want her to have another child?
But she wouldn't be able to conceive for some time, not until two years later, and that pregnancy ended mysteriously in a miscarriage. The physicians couldn't explain why. She remembered Lu Jingzhao had dismissed the head of the Royal Horse Administration over it, which is why she had called for Liu Yipan.
Liu Yipan said, "There's no harm, just take special care of the Crown Princess at that time."
Lu Jingzhao grunted in acknowledgment and waved him off.
The two began their meal.
After pondering for a while, Chu Yin suddenly asked, "Do you know how to perform the Five-Animal Frolics, Your Highness?"
"No."
"What about the Eight Pieces of Brocade?"
"No, I only know horseback riding and archery," Lu Jingzhao sensed her intention, "These aren't suitable for you."
"......"
The atmosphere became somewhat awkward.
Chu Yin hadn't expected him to refuse.
He had shown such promise in handling the Zhou family matter; why would he pass up this opportunity now?
Didn't he like her? Shouldn't he seize the chance to teach her?
Insisting on what's appropriate or not...
No wonder she never realized his feelings for her until her death.
Some things, she had attributed to his good character, like not taking concubines. Only after her death did she learn he never remarried, and as for appointing a queen and a crown prince, according to tradition, the new emperor could hold his coronation twenty-seven days after the former emperor's passing. But he held her coronation ceremony right after the Spring Festival, and then established Lu Zhu as the crown prince.
In her memory, he waited for her in the Taihe Hall, his expression as stern and composed as ever, not even a smile.
Anyone unaware would think he was reluctant to appoint her as queen.
He really was...
Well, it was unlikely he would change anytime soon.
That night, Chu Yin didn't cuddle up to him as a form of punishment.
However, Lu Jingzhao was not particularly desirous of physical intimacy. He was more comfortable with Chu Yin's previous, more restrained behavior, as he himself was a person of restraint. For example, in marital relations, he would only partake once every three to five days, never more frequently.
So, Chu Yin's 'punishment' had no effect on him.
A couple of days later, hearing that his mother was feeling better and willing to see people, Lu Jingzhao took some time to visit her in the Kunning Palace.
Seeing her pale, bloodless face, Lu Jingzhao asked with concern, "Mother, what do the imperial physicians say? Is it really so hard to treat?"
"It's a condition I was born with. I'm just getting by as long as it doesn't worsen," Empress Dowager Jiang gestured for him to sit beside her. "Jingzhao, don't worry about me. Just focus on being a good heir."
"It's my duty as your son, rest assured."
His demeanor was calm, as if the matter was a trivial one.
Empress Dowager Jiang's voice trembled slightly, "It's all my fault, I've been a burden, unable to assist you and even..."
"Don't say that. Without you, there would be no me. Let's leave it at that."
He cut off the rest of her words.
Empress Dowager Jiang paused, then sighed, "The only thing I did right was not passing my illness to you. Look at you," she pinched his arm and shoulder, "so robust, you'll surely live a long life. Your eyebrows, your nose, you have the face of longevity... Yes, Zhu'er too, he's the spitting image of you."
Speaking of Lu Zhu, Lu Jingzhao mentioned, "About Zhu'er, I need to consult you. His wet nurse, Madam Zhou, was chosen by you for A'Yin, wasn't she? I think it's time Zhu'er no longer requires her care."
Empress Dowager Jiang was startled, "Isn't Zhu'er still young? Why doesn't he need care anymore? Is something wrong with Madam Zhou?"
"No, nothing wrong, but Zhu'er is different from Zhen'er, being a boy. I want him to become independent earlier, not cling to a wet nurse. It's better for a male servant to look after him."
Since Empress Dowager Jiang rarely intervened, she agreed upon his insistence, "Just make sure she is treated fairly; she did nurse Zhu'er after all."
"I am aware of it."
After leaving the Kunning Palace, Lu Jingzhao ordered his attendant to inform Chu Yin of this decision, then he returned to Chunhui Pavilion.
Chu Yin immediately rewarded Madam Zhou with a hundred taels of silver.
Madam Zhou, bewildered, asked, "Why is the Crown Princess rewarding me?"
"It's what you deserve. Take it and leave the palace," Chu Yin said indifferently, "Our time as mistress and servant has ended. There's no need to worry about Zhu'er."
Her face, though beautiful, was as cold as ice and snow, capable of freezing one's blood.
Madam Zhou knelt down and pleaded, "Have I done something wrong? Please tell me, Your Highness, I can change... Little Master Zhu is still young, let me take care of him for a few more years?"
Was she truly concerned, or did she have ulterior motives?
Chu Yin looked down at her and said, "If you were truly kind-hearted, how could you forget your own child? Your daughter is also three years old. Shouldn't you be happy to reunite with her now that you have the silver? Why beg me to stay? What mother wouldn't long for her own flesh and blood?!"
Madam Zhou trembled, speechless.
"Leave now, before I have someone escort you out."
Hearing this, Madam Zhou dared not speak again, bowed thrice, picked up the silver, and left unsteadily.
Chu Yin walked to the side hall and picked up Lu Zhu.
"Zhu'er, shall we go ride the wooden horse?"
"Yes!" Lu Zhu replied. "And when I'm bigger, I'll ride a real horse."
"Riding a real horse is for Daddy to teach. Tell him when he comes back."
"Okay."
Chu Yin placed him on the wooden horse in the courtyard.
Lu Zhu swayed side to side, giggling happily.
Watching from a distance, Qi Niang felt a surge of fear looking at the gentle-faced Crown Princess. She resolved to be cautious in her words and actions, lest she suffer the same fate as Madam Zhou.
After all, the benefits of being a wet nurse in the Eastern Palace far outweighed a mere hundred taels of silver.
Madam Zhou had squandered a promising opportunity.
Of course, her concerns weren't solely about the benefits.
Being Lu Zhen's wet nurse was the happiest time in her life, and she didn't want to leave.
But how could she avoid dismissal? She racked her brain but couldn't fathom what fault Madam Zhou had committed to anger the Crown Princess so much.
Lost in thought, she suddenly saw Chu Yin approaching.
"Your Highness," she quickly greeted with a bow.
Chu Yin said, "Qi Niang, you're doing well. Don't worry unnecessarily."
Qi Niang blushed, realizing her concerns were noticed.
"Madam Zhou has a daughter and a husband who treats her well. Unlike you, who often suffer abuse from your husband and would be struggling to earn money for him if you returned," Chu Yin spoke softly, "You can continue to care for Zhen'er."
After her death, Qi Niang took good care of Lu Zhen, without the selfishness Madam Zhou had shown.
Tears streamed down Qi Niang's face: "Thank you, Your Highness."
Lu Zhen, not understanding their conversation, tilted his head and asked, "Why are you crying?"
"I'm happy, just happy," Qi Niang managed a smile through her tears.
Lu Zhen asked, "Why cry and smile at the same time?"
"You'll understand when you're older," Chu Yin gently rubbed his head, life is full of such mixed feelings, "Do you want to ride the wooden horse?"
"No, it hurts my bottom."
Chu Yin chuckled.
The wooden horse, being hard, was bound to be uncomfortable, but her naive son still loved it.
"Let's play hide and seek," Chu Yin suggested, "I'll close my eyes, and you go hide. Then I'll come find you."
"Okay," Lu Zhen crisply agreed.
Chu Yin turned her back and closed her eyes.
Lu Zhen wandered around, eventually deciding to hide in the bushes.
Lu Zhu protested, "I can see you."
Lu Zhen: "..."
Reluctantly, she went to find another hiding place.
This time, she hid behind a red cylindrical column.
Chu Yin easily found her and patiently instructed, "You need to hide where Mommy can't see you, like under the bed or behind the wardrobe, somewhere with something big to cover you."
Seeing this, Lu Zhu boasted, "Let me try, let me!" abandoning the wooden horse.
Chu Yin closed her eyes again.
Lu Zhu, taking his sister, hid deeper.
This time, Chu Yin searched for a long while, working up a sweat on her forehead.
She thought to herself, this was almost like practicing the Five-Animal Frolics, plus she got to play with the children, how wonderful!
Before they knew it, evening was approaching.
Exhausted from playing, Chu Yin sat in a wicker chair, reading a reply from her mother.
As expected, her mother was frightened, thinking Chu Yin knew the prefect family's secret and was desperately advising against the alliance. She promised not to engage with the prefect's family and awaited Chu Yin's suggestions for suitable matches.
Chu Yin felt relieved.
After setting down the letter, she covered her mouth, yawning.
These two little ones were only three years old; how could playing a simple game of hide-and-seek with them be so tiring?
But there's a silver lining to being tired; according to Liu Yipan, lack of activity leads to weakness, so it's good to play every day.
Chu Yin closed her eyes, lulled to sleep by the setting sun's rays.
Lianqiao noticed Lu Jingzhao's return and hesitated whether to wake her.
In her hesitation, the Crown Prince approached.
Lianqiao promptly stepped back.
Seeing Chu Yin asleep outside for the first time, Lu Jingzhao gazed down at her peaceful face.
After childbirth, her face was fuller than when they first met. Now, it was slightly flushed, like a ripe peach, and her beautifully shaped lips resembled water chestnuts, while her delicate skin was...
Why are all these comparisons about food?
Surely he wasn't so hungry that he couldn't think of anything else.
Lu Jingzhao shifted his gaze and, without waking her, moved on.
Only then did Lianqiao gently nudge Chu Yin, "Your Highness, the Prince has returned."
Chu Yin rubbed her eyes, looking around, "Where is he?"
"Over there."
She saw a tall figure quickly walking towards the palace.
So, he had just passed by without stopping?
Why would he do that?
Chu Yin asked, "Did the Crown Prince say anything?"
"No, but he stood and watched you for a while."
Curious, Chu Yin asked, "How did he look? Can you show me?" pointing to a spot in front of her, "Stand there and imitate him."
Lianqiao: "..."
She didn't understand why the Crown Princess wanted her to imitate the Crown Prince.
It felt a bit strange.
"Hurry up, what are you waiting for?" Chu Yin urged. She was curious to know if he showed a hint of affection while she was asleep, if his guard was down just a bit.
Lianqiao reluctantly tried her best to mimic him.
Standing upright, her expression calm, her eyes void of emotion.
Chu Yin realized that Lu Jingzhao's gaze on her was no different from looking at a tree.