chapter 29

Tang Feiyan and her husband had always been trying to curry favor with Princess Baocheng, so at the princess's urging, Tang Feiyan quickly came over.
"Sister-in-law, you haven't been in the capital for the past few years. You might not know the location of the Moon Worship Pavilion. Let me lead the way."
Having just pretended to be foolishly drunk, Chu Yin felt a bit guilty and said to Lu Jingzhuo, "Your Highness, I will go to worship the moon first."
The two left side by side.
Lu Jingzhuo hadn't had the chance to ask about his suspicions.
He had never seen someone sober up so quickly!
He watched Chu Yin's retreating figure intently until she disappeared, then finally looked away.
A strand of hair had clung to his sleeve, suddenly lifted by the wind.
About two feet long, raven-black, and extremely soft to the touch, it must be Chu Yin's.
She had leaned against him for a while.
Her scent seemed to have seeped into his robe, a faint fragrance of orchids.
Looking up at the moon, bright as a jade plate, his mind replayed the words she had said while drunk.
All that messy talk.
On closer reflection, his doubts drifted away with the wind.
If she hadn't been drunk, she wouldn't have said things like "waiting for him" or "missing him." They weren't going to be apart, so why the need to "miss him"? Besides, why would she need to pretend to be drunk in front of him? He had been trying hard to cooperate lately; there was no need for her to hint at anything by acting coquettishly.
She sobered up quickly, perhaps because she hadn't really been sober in the first place, but had to go to worship the moon due to her aunt's insistence.
She always had a deep respect for her aunt.
Just like that time she had her period, enduring the pain yet still facing the guests.
Lu Jingzhuo's brow furrowed slightly as he glanced towards the direction of the Moon Worship Pavilion.
Ordinary households would burn just three thin sticks of incense for moon worship, but in the royal palace, they used large quantities, bundled into pagoda shapes, producing intense and vigorous flames, with billowing white smoke and a fragrance that filled the garden.
The pavilion was adorned with fruits, various pastries, and six ceremonial candles.
Tang Feiyan, standing in the back, said, "Sister-in-law, please lead the worship."
As the highest-ranking woman present, Chu Yin cleansed her hands in a silver basin held by a maid, then proceeded to offer incense and worship.
Tang Feiyan and Jiang Yuyuan followed suit.
Chu Yin wished for her family's health, marital love, and the prosperity and peace of their nation.
As for what Jiang Yuyuan would pray to the Moon Goddess for, Chu Yin could guess without asking.
Tang Feiyan, watching the young girl's devout posture, murmured, "She must be praying for a suitable husband. I wonder which family she will marry into."
Chu Yin brushed off the ash that had settled on her sleeve, "Sister-in-law, since you're so concerned, why not stay with her? I need to check on Xuan'er and Zhen'er." The feast had lasted too long, and the children had fallen asleep midway and were taken to a side hall.
"Alright, I won't accompany you then."
As Chu Yin walked further away, Tang Feiyan glanced at Jiang Yuyuan, who had just stood up: "Miss Jiang, what wish took you so long? My sister-in-law couldn't wait... Surely it's not about someone special in your heart?"
Jiang Yuyuan's eyelashes trembled slightly, "No, I was just praying for the well-being of my uncle and aunt."
This seemed like an attempt to cover up the obvious – which young girl wouldn't wish for her future marriage during moon worship? But Tang Feiyan wasn't overly interested: "Let's go, we should find Princess Baocheng." Her actions were still driven by a specific goal.
Jiang Yuyuan agreed with a nod.
Chu Yin had already reached halfway on her path.
The small path was lined with osmanthus trees, their fragrance rich and sweet, permeating the air like a spread of pastries.
Not far ahead, a figure approached, his robe adorned with glittering gold dragon embroidery.
Chu Yin paused in her steps.
"It seems to be His Highness," Lianqiao said.
"It must be His Highness, look at those clothes!" Rendong laughed, "Princess Consort, His Highness has come to meet you."
She had recognized Lu Jingzhuo right away but hadn't expected the reason for his presence here.
To meet her?
Why?
Chu Yin was utterly perplexed.
The face became clearer under the palace lanterns, strikingly handsome to the point of being heart-stopping. Just as she was about to speak, she heard him ask, "Are you truly sober now?"
"......"
A sense of wariness arose in Chu Yin. Could it be that he suspected her of feigning drunkenness?
Indeed, she hadn't been cautious enough.
But it was a spur-of-the-moment decision, driven by a desire to be close to him. Could a crown prince really take offense at such a thing?
Still, Chu Yin replied with restrained composure, "Yes, I'm almost completely sober now."
She must still be drunk.
Lu Jingzhuo said with a slightly deep voice, "It's only moon worship. If you don't want to go, you don't have to force yourself. Surely my aunt isn't compelling you?" He continued, "I've told you this before, but it seems you haven't taken it to heart."
Was he referring to the time Princess Baocheng visited the Eastern Palace?
Chu Yin's eyes widened slightly.
He actually thought she pretended to be sober because she was afraid of Princess Baocheng.
"...I actually wasn't that drunk."
"If you weren't drunk, would you act so coquettishly and talk nonsense?" Lu Jingzhuo touched her cheek, noting, "It's still warm."
She just flushed easily, which didn't mean she got drunk easily.
Otherwise, she wouldn't drink at all.
As the Crown Princess, how could she truly get drunk and behave improperly in front of others?
She only let her guard down in front of him.
Yet, there was a sweet feeling in Chu Yin's heart. His coming to fetch her, his concern about her feeling pressured because of Princess Baocheng, all indicated he cared about her.
Could it be that he actually had a bit of affection for her?
But Chu Yin didn't dare to ask, risking embarrassment in case she was wrong.
Because this might just be his sense of duty as a husband.
"I will remember Your Highness's words this time and will not force myself in the future."
Lu Jingzhuo gave a hum of acknowledgment, "Let's go."
The moonlight cast from the side intertwined their shadows as they walked together.
As they moved, their sleeves brushed against each other, stirring a faint longing in Chu Yin, hoping he would hold her hand again.
But even upon reaching the Kun Ning Palace, he hadn't done so.
The voice of Emperor Jianxing reached them: "Jingzhuo, where had you been? Come here."
Lu Jingzhuo responded and headed towards the emperor.
Chu Yin, meanwhile, went to the side hall to check on the children.
She encountered Lu Jingrui at the entrance, leisurely sitting under the eaves on a wicker chair.
"Sister-in-law," he stood up, "Xuan'er and Zhen'er are sleeping soundly. I just checked on them."
"Is that so?" Chu Yin paused, "Then I won't go in," she hesitated, "Have you been sitting here long?"
"No, I came after big brother left... He went to fetch you, didn't he?"
He had just seen the two of them arriving together.
Unexpectedly, his usually reserved big brother had actually gone to fetch Chu Yin.
If Chu Yin held a place in Lu Jingzhuo's heart, then indeed, he should become closer to her as well.
"His Highness thought I was drunk," Chu Yin sat down beside him, "In his absence, you could also talk to the second brother. I find him to be very gentle."
"The second brother has been by father's side. It's better I don't disturb them," Lu Jingrui said with a slight smile, "I haven't thanked you for the water chestnuts you sent last time. You really are thoughtful."
"That's nothing special. As the empress dowager is frail and His Highness busy, as the eldest sister-in-law, I should naturally take care of you. In fact, I feel I've been neglecting my duties... If you need anything in the future, just let me know."
"Elder sister-in-law is like a mother," Lu Jingrui understood her implication and quickly said, "But you're also not robust. I couldn't possibly trouble you."
Chu Yin replied, "I've been practicing qigong and have improved a lot. In a few days, I plan to start learning horse riding."
"Oh? Are you learning with your elder brother?"
"......"
It seemed his horsemanship was indeed remarkable, as both his mother-in-law and Lu Jingrui brought him up.
"I've hired a female instructor to teach me. His Highness has classes to attend, I wouldn't want to disturb him."
But while her elder brother did attend classes, he still found time to practice horse riding and archery. Wouldn't teaching her as well not be too much of a disturbance?
Lu Jingrui looked puzzled.
His elder brother had just gone to fetch his sister-in-law, looking quite harmonious, so why wouldn't he teach her to ride?
He couldn't quite make sense of this couple's dynamics.
Chu Yin then asked, "Third brother, do you know how to ride? You're not usually at Chunhui Pavilion, are you practicing these skills?"
Lu Jingrui immediately showed a sheepish expression, "I'm naturally slow-witted, unlike my brother who excels at everything. I usually just read leisure books... I'm too scared to learn horse riding, fearing a fall. You're braver than me, sister-in-law!"
He made no mention of his injured arm.
Indeed, the more he endured, the more guilt he caused their mother and Lu Jingzhuo.
If he complained loudly for everyone to know and garner sympathy, it would actually diminish the seriousness of the matter.
Perhaps she should find an opportunity to confront the issue and properly "treat" his injured arm.
Meanwhile, Tang Feiyan and Jiang Yuyuan had also returned to Kun Ning Palace.
Princess Baocheng asked with a smile, "Did you make your wishes?"
Before Jiang Yuyuan could answer, Tang Feiyan said, "She spent a long time making wishes. Besides praying for your well-being, aunt, she must have wished for a suitable husband... Why haven't you arranged a marriage for her yet? Is there really no suitable match?"
"You think I don't want to? She always says there's no one suitable, and it worries me."
"Aunt, I just wish to stay in the marquis' residence to fulfill my filial duties..." Jiang Yuyuan turned to Emperor Jianxing, "Your Majesty, you heard it yourself. My aunt said to wait a little longer, and it's only been a month or so since then."
The young girl was anxious, and Emperor Jianxing chuckled, "Shanhui, you have a dear niece whom you like so much, why the rush to marry her off? What's the harm in waiting another two years?"
Princess Baocheng flicked her sleeve, "Really, I have her best interests at heart, yet she's ungrateful and overthinking! Yuyuan, you might regret this, always talking about filial duty, but don't you fear becoming an old maid?"
"I'd rather become an old maid and spend my life with aunt."
Princess Baocheng sighed.
Tang Feiyan, observing this, quietly suggested to Lu Jingchen, "How about we act as matchmakers and find a suitable gentleman to marry her?"
This would create a marriage alliance with the Xuan Ning Marquis residence, alleviating the need to curry favor with Princess Baocheng.
"I have a cousin who is quite presentable..."
Appreciating his wife's rare good idea, Lu Jingchen smiled and gently squeezed her arm, whispering, "Let's discuss it when we get home."
Unbeknownst to them, the night had deepened.
Lu Jingzhuo went to the side hall to carry the two sleeping children and returned to the Eastern Palace with Chu Yin.
Festival celebrations were more tiring than a family banquet; Chu Yin was even beginning to feel sleepy, yawning behind her hand.
Glancing at the two children, they were sound asleep on their father's lap.
When could she also...
Why couldn't she?
It was just that she didn't act coquettishly. Wasn't she allowed to lean on him while asleep? They were husband and wife, after all.
Chu Yin closed her eyes and leaned towards Lu Jingzhuo.
She felt a slight weight on her shoulder.
Lu Jingzhuo turned to look at his wife's peaceful face.
Was she really that drunk to fall asleep in the carriage?
Of course, he didn't push her away.
The night breeze fluttered, bringing a slight smile to the man's lips.
Two days later, the Imperial Garment Bureau delivered the riding and archery attire.
It was the perfect size and well-crafted, leaving Chu Yin quite satisfied.
The only thing left was to choose a mount.
Last time, she had to ask her father-in-law's permission to visit the storeroom. The horses in the Imperial Stable were royal horses, and naturally required permission too. Fortunately, Emperor Jianxing was not stingy, and readily agreed to bestow a horse to his daughter-in-law.
Chu Yin quickly had Yu Sizhang summoned to accompany her to the Imperial Stable to select a horse.
The daughter of a military officer, Yu Sizhang was valiant and upright, with a tall figure, arched eyebrows, and phoenix eyes. Chu Yin inexplicably found her somewhat familiar.
Yu Sizhang bowed, "It's an honor to instruct the Crown Princess."
"Do you know about horses?"
"A little, but since the Crown Princess is visiting the Imperial Stable, there will be experts in horse selection."
"Good, let's go."
Chu Yin invited her to share the carriage.
First finding her familiar from the front, and still somewhat familiar from the side, Chu Yin curiously asked, "When did you enter the palace? And how old are you?"
"Your Highness, I entered the palace four years ago, and I am twenty years old."
She was selected as a court lady by the previous emperor.
Chu Yin nodded, "You'll be eligible to leave the palace in another year, then."
Yu Sizhang nodded, "Yes."
Hesitating for a moment, Chu Yin asked, "Have we met before?"
"Your Highness, you probably haven't seen me before, and this is my first time meeting you."
Where did this sense of familiarity come from? Chu Yin grew more puzzled.
The eunuchs of the Imperial Stable, having been notified, were already waiting at the main gate to welcome the Crown Princess.
Seeing the two figures alight, they all knelt down and welcomed them in unison.
Yu Sizhang instructed, "Find a horse with a gentle temperament and medium size to suit the Crown Princess."
Head eunuch Guo of the Imperial Stable hurriedly responded, "It would be my honor to serve the Crown Princess. Please, this way."
This was Chu Yin's first visit to the Imperial Stable in both her lifetimes.
The royal stables were truly extraordinary, lavishly built with large doors painted in green and adorned with jade plaques inscribed in gold, labeled "Twelve Steeds," symbolizing the presence of twelve excellent horses within.
However, instead of leading her there, Eunuch Guo guided her to the next stable, with a jade plaque labeled "Eight Beauties."
Eunuch Guo explained, "These 'Eight Beauties,' gentle and serene like maidens, are perfect for you." Opening the door, he led Chu Yin in, "Look at them, each as beautiful as a flower. You'll surely like them."
Using "as beautiful as a flower" to describe horses was indeed...
Yet, Chu Yin was genuinely surprised when she saw them.
The horses were well-kept, not only plump and strong, but also colorful, resembling the koi in the porcelain vase of the Eastern Palace.
Not an expert herself, Chu Yin instructed Eunuch Guo and Yu Sizhang, "You two make the choice. Whichever you pick, I'll take."
After observing, they both pointed to a small but silk-coated chestnut horse, saying, "This one is the best."
With their agreement, it must indeed be a fine choice.
Eunuch Guo added, "This one is called 'Red Dawn.' Just look at its form. Despite its modest height, it could travel a thousand li in a day, swift as a streak of aurora. Truly a celestial breed, a rare gem in the mortal world."
With such high praise, Chu Yin inquired, "What breed of horse does the Crown Prince ride?"
Eunuch Guo replied, "Nightly White, taller and bigger than your Red Dawn."
Chu Yin nodded, "Have it sent to the racecourse tomorrow afternoon at the end of the wei hour."
"Certainly, I'll note that down," Eunuch Guo bowed, "Farewell, Crown Princess."
Chu Yin then returned with Yu Sizhang in the carriage.
Just like on the way there, she still found Yu Sizhang familiar, yet couldn't quite place her.
This feeling was somewhat unsettling.
Like a tangled ball of yarn stuck uncomfortably in her heart.
She massaged her temples, her brow furrowed all the way.
It wasn't until she alighted from the carriage and walked into the courtyard that she saw her daughter.
The little girl was asking a maid to kick a shuttlecock for her amusement.
The shuttlecock, adorned with colorful feathers, shimmered in the sunlight.
Suddenly, the tangled yarn in Chu Yin's heart unraveled.
Yu Sizhang was her daughter's future mother-in-law!
No wonder she seemed familiar.
She had seen Yu Sizhang when she was a spirit, but at that time, Yu was already the wife of the Duke of Song.
Yu Sizhang would be leaving the palace at twenty-one, a challenging age to find a suitable match. Perhaps she later fortuitously met the Duke of Song seeking a second marriage, marrying into the duke's household. Chu Yin reflected, amazed at meeting her future mother-in-law so soon in this lifetime.
She was delighted, but also a bit anxious.
She feared that any misstep on her part might adversely affect her daughter's marital prospects.
Maybe she should approach this with a normal attitude?
Interact as usual, and after learning horse riding, go their separate ways.
No, she couldn't be too casual either.
She must not give Yu Sizhang a bad impression. Otherwise, once Yu became the lady of the Duke's house, she might keep her stepson away from her daughter. Fu Yue and her daughter were truly a perfect match, deeply in love.
Therefore, she needed to be a bit more enthusiastic, making Yu Sizhang feel she was amiable and approachable, but not overly so.
Chu Yin decided to carefully balance this approach.
Since Yu Sizhang would be her future mother-in-law, this naturally involved Lu Jingzhuo as well.
In the evening, she couldn't help but bring it up in front of him.
"I met Yu Sizhang today, and I'll start learning horse riding with her tomorrow."
Lu Jingzhuo wasn't surprised: "Since everything is ready, then go ahead and learn."
Previously, Chu Yin might have been upset with him for not teaching her, but now her focus was all on her "future mother-in-law": "Your Highness hasn't met her, but Yu Sizhang is really impressive. Not only does she know horse riding, but she's also adept at horse selection. Eunuch Guo is an expert in that, and Yu chose the same horse as him. I believe I can learn quickly with her as my instructor..."
She praised Yu effusively, her demeanor unusually animated.
Lu Jingzhuo gave her a glance, puzzled.
Chu Yin had always hoped to teach him herself, and only turned to a court lady after being refused. He truly hadn't expected her to be this joyous and excited.
She hadn't even started learning yet, and already she was showering praises like a torrent!