chapter 55

This was her way of agreeing.
Lu Jingzhuo preferred hearing her speak and act in this manner, rather than a direct "yes."
He slipped the thumb ring onto her right thumb.
It fit perfectly, neither too big nor too small.
Surprised by the perfect fit, she was about to ask when she suddenly remembered him fiddling with her hand on a previous day, and couldn't help but chuckle. He had been measuring her size.
Lu Jingzhuo glanced at her, "What's so funny?"
She shook her head, looking at the two arm guards, "Your Highness doesn't seem to use these when shooting arrows."
"I don't need them, unlike you," he said as he fastened one guard on her left forearm and the other on her left hand, "This way, you won't get hurt."
In truth, her earlier claim of fearing injury was just an excuse, but he took it seriously, not only comforting her with words but also through actions.
Chu Yin leaned into his embrace, "Thank you, Your Highness, for being so considerate."
This was exactly the outcome he had hoped for.
Lu Jingzhuo, content and satisfied, wrapped his arms around her waist: "Do you want to learn now? I'll have Dongling set up the targets."
"Aren't you supposed to go to the Chunhui Pavilion soon? Won't you be late?"
"Let's eat first. During the meal, Dongling can prepare everything. We'll have enough time for a short practice."
Chu Yin did not object.
When the children woke up, they found Lu Jingzhuo still teaching, and they hurried over to watch.
The most important aspect of archery is the posture.
Lu Jingzhuo was constantly helping Chu Yin adjust hers.
Envious, Lu Zhu tugged at his father's robe: "Dad, when can I learn too?"
"In a couple of years," Lu Jingzhuo replied, "You can start by watching."
Lu Zhu pouted, wishing he could instantly grow up.
Lu Zhen wasn't as eager, merely curious how long it would take her mother to hit the target, considering how long her mother had been learning horseback riding and still didn't dare to take her on a ride.
Once the posture was finally correct, Chu Yin firmly grasped the bow in her left hand and pulled the bowstring with her right.
"It was surprisingly easier than I had imagined."
"He stood behind her, instructing her on how to aim."
"The man's hand enveloped hers, steady and strong. Listening to his deep voice close to her ear made her heart flutter."
"In her previous life, the only time he had ever shown emotion was when he gave her Liu Xu's painting, and even that was indirect and secretive, nothing like his direct and thoughtful approach today."
"'Don't get distracted,' he suddenly cautioned, 'Even with a guard, you can still get hurt.'"
Chu Yin curled her lips slightly, "Alright, Your Highness."
"He instructed her to release her fingers, and the arrow flew, hitting the bullseye."
"It seemed easy when watching, but when it was Chu Yin's turn to shoot, the arrow flew off to who knows where."
"Lu Jingzhao said, 'You need to practice regularly.' He glanced at her cheeks reddened by the wind, then paused, 'Or perhaps start again after the spring.'"
"Archery, unlike martial arts, necessitates being outdoors."
"'Then let's wait until next year, Your Highness, and you can teach me again.'"
"Noticing that she had finally stopped referring to herself as 'your concubine,' Lu Jingzhao smiled, nodded, and headed towards the palace, needing to hurry to Chunhui Pavilion."
"Chu Yin returned inside, put down the bow, and took off the hand and arm guards."
"The two children gathered around her."
"Her gaze fell on her thumb, feeling unexpectedly reluctant to remove the archer's thumb ring."
"The first time she saw him wearing a thumb ring, she was very curious and asked to hold it. Surprisingly, he remembered and even got her an identical one. The more Chu Yin looked at the thumb ring, the more she liked it."
Lu Xu asked, "What's this?"
"It's a thumb ring, used for protecting the fingers when drawing a bow."
"Can I take a look?" Lu Xu extended his small hand, enviously eyeing it, unable to use it himself.
Chu Yin handed the thumb ring to him.
Lu Xu tried it on his finger and found it was much too large.
Lu Zhen also came over to have a look.
The two youngsters couldn't understand how such a thing could protect the fingers.
Fumbling with it, Lu Xu accidentally let the thumb ring slip off his fingertip.
Chu Yin, worried it might break, quickly reached out to catch it.
She bumped into a table in front, causing a tea cup to slide off, and still didn't manage to catch the thumb ring.
Xiao Dou quickly squatted down, found the thumb ring, wiped it with his clothing, and presented it to Chu Yin with both hands, "Your Highness, please check if it's been chipped?" As Lu Xu's personal servant, he felt responsible and his heart was pounding with anxiety.
Chu Yin carefully inspected it and sighed with relief, "Thankfully, it's unharmed."
She worried about what Lu Jingzhao would think, having given it to her only the day before.
He wouldn't be angry with his son, but surely his mood wouldn't be too pleasant.
Xiao Dou also breathed a sigh of relief.
Lu Xu, hanging his head, said, "Mother, did I do something wrong just now?"
Chu Yin held his small hand, "You're still young and it's normal to not have a strong grip. It's not your fault, and even if father knew, he wouldn't blame you."
His mother's tender reassurance comforted him, and Lu Xu stopped worrying.
Rendong instructed a palace maid in charge of menial tasks to clean up the spilled tea on the floor.
Chu Yin glanced over, her mind suddenly flashing with an image.
She was momentarily lost in thought.
In her previous life, when she was pregnant, Lady Yao had visited her.
She had come with her mother-in-law.
At that time, Lady Yao was recovering, her complexion was better, but her legs were weak, and she walked with the aid of a cane. She, too, had bumped into a table, spilling tea all over the floor.
Sensing something amiss, Chu Yin slightly furrowed her brows.
Inside Hongyi Hall, Ma Yuanzheng slowly took out his silver needles.
Lu Jingrui, with his robe half-unbuttoned, exposed his entire right arm.
The young man, as handsome as a woman, was neither tall nor weak, especially evident from his arm.
"How have you been feeling lately, Your Highness?" Ma Yuanzheng inquired.
Lu Jingrui gave a wry smile, "It's kind of you to be so concerned, but my body is failing me... I fear there will be no improvement."
Ma Yuanzheng, knowing the injury was ten years old, hadn't held much hope, so it wasn't unexpected, but still he said, "Since you've decided to try, let's persist. I will do my utmost."
If not for Chu Yin, he wouldn't have considered treatment, but he hadn't asked her about it when they met last.
Was it because he was too busy, or had he forgotten about it?
If the latter, then he felt somewhat foolish.
But remembering the earnestness in Chu Yin's persuasion, he didn't believe she was pretending.
"There was absolutely no need for her to do this."
"Then let's try two more times," he said with a smile, "I appreciate your efforts."
Ma Yuanzheng lit the moxa and carefully manipulated the needles.
"Night falls early in winter. By dusk, it was pitch black, with the moon hidden behind thin clouds, casting a hazy, soft light."
Chu Yin, slightly out of breath, looked out the window.
Within moments, her face was gently turned back by the man in front of her.
He wanted her to look at him.
"Such a handsome, aloof face was hard to look away from, but Chu Yin felt somewhat uncomfortable doing this in a chair, her hand on his shoulder, unable to suppress a soft moan."
"Her cheeks flushed crimson from the heat of the charcoal fire inside the hall, her temperature rising, feeling her throat grow drier."
"By the end, she could hardly speak."
Lu Jingzhao put on his coat and poured her a glass of water.
Chu Yin drank eagerly, gulping down the water, her thirst evident.
"We should have a teapot nearby next time," Lu Jingzhao suggested.
Chu Yin almost choked on the water.
He surely wouldn't want her to drink water while... with him.
"No," she refused, "Your Highness, just make it shorter next time."
Today, for some reason, he had started right after dinner and continued for a full hour.
"Alright, I'll be more mindful next time," Lu Jingzhao instructed the maids to prepare water.
Chu Yin finished her drink and placed the teacup on the table beside her.
"Her delicate fingers, long and slender, still adorned with the thumb ring, caught Lu Jingzhao's attention, prompting a silent, amused smile."
"After the intense evening, Chu Yin soon fell asleep."
"In her dream, she revisited the scene where her mother-in-law brought Lady Yao to visit her, out of concern for her pregnancy."
"The commotion caused by the tea cup falling off the table played out in her dream."
"The maids hurried to clean up, her mother-in-law reassured Lady Yao that all was well, and Lady Yao apologized to her, asking if she was startled. It was then she caught a faint, unfamiliar scent."
"Women often carried fragrant pouches or scented their clothes, so the presence of a fragrance wasn't unusual. But this smelled slightly medicinal, which seemed normal enough."
"Lady Yao had been on medication for her health."
"Later, Chu Yin suffered a miscarriage."
"The physicians couldn't pinpoint a cause, so she assumed it was due to her own weak health, unable to sustain the pregnancy."
"As a result, Lu Jingzhao dismissed Ma Yuanzheng from his post."
"Whether he continued to investigate or not, she wasn't sure, as she was engulfed in grief and paid little attention to such matters."
"And then she fell ill with a cold..."
"Chu Yin was jolted by a sense of alarm and opened her eyes."
"Reaching out, she could not see her hand; the moon outside was completely hidden by clouds."
"A dreadful thought began to take shape in her mind."
"It was Lady Yao who caused her miscarriage!"
"Lady Yao might have believed it was her father who caused the death of her husband. Unable to confront her father, she decided to start with her, causing her to lose her child. This was because Lady Yao harbored a vengeful heart, hence she waited until the mourning period was over."
"But why did she then take poison?"
"Her ultimate enemy was her father; logically, she would have sought another opportunity to strike against him."
"Chu Yin pondered this, her gaze landing on Lu Jingzhuo's face."
"The man was sleeping, his expression not the usual stern and cold, but peaceful and serene."
"Could it be him..."
"After becoming a spirit, she initially spent her time accompanying her child, seldom visiting Lu Jingzhuo. Later, she noticed him gently touching her comb, looking at the paintings she admired, holding the clothes she had worn, and whispering her nickname. Only then did she realize his affection for her."
"She then started to spend more time with him."
"And Lady Yao had died long ago."
"Chu Yin found it even harder to sleep now."
"The next day, when Lu Jingzhuo awoke, he was surprised to find her sitting by his side."
"She had never woken up earlier than him before."
"What's the matter?" he asked.
"I had a nightmare."
"Her hair was a messy cascade over her shoulders, her face unwashed, but a beauty always stands out, revealing a vulnerable charm that evoked pity. Lu Jingzhuo embraced his wife, 'What nightmare kept you awake all night?' he inquired, then admonished, 'Why didn't you wake me?'"
"I didn't want to disturb Your Highness," she said, her face against his chest, "I dreamed that my cousin was trying to kill me."
"Lady Yao might have seized the opportunity to put something in her tea, combined with the medicinal scent on her body..."
"And she never suspected Lady Yao."
"Lady Yao's husband died of illness. Who would have thought Lady Yao would be so crazed as to vent her anger on others?"
"Lu Jingzhuo paused, then reassured, 'Why would your cousin want to harm you? Even if she resents my father over her husband's issue, it's unlikely she would go to such extremes... Her husband's case would at most lead to a demotion.'"
"Chu Yin used this to remind him, 'I know it sounds absurd, but that dream felt so real, I couldn't sleep again. But you're right, Your Highness, how could my cousin be such a heartless person?'"
"Whether she was heartless or not, he really didn't know."
"He had only met Lady Yao twice. Lu Jingzhuo thought to himself, perhaps it was time to investigate?"
"As the Spring Festival approached, he received news that his father, following his father-in-law's suggestion, had demoted Yao Zhou to Jingzhou. Unexpectedly, Yao Zhou fell ill on his way to his new post and died en route."
"Thinking of Chu Yin's dream, he frowned."
"If Lady Yao was petty, she indeed might have harbored hatred towards my father."
"My father-in-law had discovered Yao Zhou accepting a bribe. Although it was just a piece of porcelain from a friend, that porcelain belonged to a family wrongfully accused and executed. Yao Zhou had unknowingly aided his friend in a minor way."
"Yet, the law is unforgiving, and he had to face the consequences."
"The consequences weren't severe – a three-year tenure in Jingzhou, and later my father would promote him again. Alas, human plans can't match those of heaven."
"Lu Jingzhuo asked Dong Ling, 'What has Li Yuan found out about Lady Yao?'"
"Dong Ling replied, 'There are two matters. One is about Yao Zhou's elder brother, Yao Tian's death. He was known to bully Yao Zhou since childhood. Soon after Lady Yao married into the family, Yao Tian suddenly died. The coroner back then attributed it to excessive drinking. The other matter is that Lady Yao's grandmother came from a family of medical practitioners, and it's said Lady Yao learned medicine from her since childhood.'"
"Had it not been for Chu Yin's dream, Lu Jingzhuo might not have connected these two matters."
"But his cousin, Lady Yao, could she really be so bold and ruthless?"
"He fell into deep thought."
"To welcome the New Year, Chu Yin had the maids prepare for New Year's Eve and the New Year's greetings early, and she also joined her children in hanging Spring Festival couplets."
"The couplets in the palace were written by officials from the Hanlin Academy. Chu Yin had her own opinions on this and used the couplets as examples to teach her children about the beauty of calligraphy and Chinese characters."
"On New Year's Eve, palace buildings like the Qianqing Palace, Kunning Palace, and the Eastern Palace were adorned with palace lanterns, including multicolored octagonal spherical lamps."
"At noon, Emperor Jianxing held a court banquet at the Jianji Hall, inviting all officials. After dark, they would move to the Kunning Palace for a family reunion dinner."
"As He Zhong loudly announced 'Light up the lanterns', the drum and music band immediately began to play. Over six hundred palace lanterns lit up simultaneously, filling the air with melodious music and resplendent light, creating a magnificent atmosphere."
"Lu Xu, excited in his father's arms, asked, 'Daddy, are we going to set off firecrackers later?'"
"'We used to set them off when we celebrated the New Year in Qingzhou, remember?' Chu Yin asked."
"'I remember, but Xiao Dou said they're much louder here!'"
"Lu Zhen quickly covered her ears, 'I don't want to listen.'"
"'You can hide in Daddy's arms later,' Chu Yin said, ruffling her hair."
"Lu Zhen immediately snuggled into her father's arms."
"Their daughter, looking very much like Chu Yin with her almond eyes and small mouth, had a soft and cuddly face. Lu Jingzhuo smiled and let her snuggle."
"Lu Xu, peering around from his father's arms, suddenly exclaimed, 'Uncle's here!'"
"The couple turned around and indeed saw the figure of Lu Jingchen getting out of his carriage."
"Tang Feiyan was pregnant and couldn't go out, so only he came for the reunion dinner on New Year's Eve."
"'Big brother, sister-in-law,' he greeted with a smile."
"Chu Yin said, 'You're here, second brother. I suppose sister-in-law must be feeling a bit lonely at home?'"
"Words said without intention, heard with meaning. Lu Jingzhuo glanced at Chu Yin."
"Could it be that during those two New Year's in Qingzhou, she felt very lonely?"
"'Mother-in-law is with Feiyan. I'll go back early too,' Lu Jingchen looked at Lu Zhen, 'Why is Zhen hiding from Uncle?'"
"'She's scared of the firecrackers,' Chu Yin explained."
"Lu Xu, on the other hand, called out, 'Uncle!'"
"It's not just firecrackers; there will be fireworks too... Zhen, the fireworks are beautiful, full of colors. They're unique to the capital, you've probably never seen them before," said Lu Jingchen, "Don't believe me? Ask your dad."
"Really, Daddy?" Lu Zhen looked up slightly.
"Mhm."
Lu Zhen's excitement grew again.
"By the way, big brother and sister-in-law, have you heard about our aunt's plans to choose a husband?" Lu Jingchen suddenly asked as they walked towards Kunning Palace.
Lu Jingzhuo certainly knew, but he didn't respond.
Chu Yin was unaware, yet not surprised.
"Princess Baocheng is only thirty-seven. It's normal for her to remarry."
"There must be many suitors, right?" Chu Yin said.
"Yes, she's overwhelmed with proposals. But I heard recently that she has her eyes on someone," Lu Jingchen said mysteriously, "Guess who it is?"
Lu Jingzhuo had no interest in guessing.
Chu Yin was curious, "It must be some accomplished official, adept in both literature and military affairs?"
"He's competent in literature. As for military, he was a famous general but injured his right shoulder five years ago. He retired to heal, and even when the emperor wanted to reinstate him, he declined, preferring a life of leisure."
Chu Yin felt an ominous premonition.
"Second brother, just tell us who it is!"
Seeing his sister-in-law's anxiety, Lu Jingchen stopped teasing, "It's Duke Song, Fu Yunqing."
That was her in-laws from a previous life!
Chu Yin: "..."