chapter 27

His wife, seated on his lap, blushed not only on her cheeks but her snow-white ears also turned pink. Her eyelashes were lowered, avoiding eye contact.
Lu Jingzhuo had never seen her this shy before.
She had once initiated kisses and embraced him willingly, so why this sudden change...
He was puzzled.
It was just a change of position, after all.
Perhaps, his sudden inclination was influenced by that fleeting thought earlier in the day.
It had lain dormant all afternoon.
His fingers deftly opened her slightly disheveled robe, showing no hesitation.
In the courtyard outside the window, a night-blooming cereus quietly unfurled in the still of the night. Its pure white petals, moist as jade and light as gauze, trembled delicately in the autumn breeze, almost falling from their branches.
Only when the wind ceased could it rest, its petals closing to sleep.
At dawn, streaks of sunlight filtered through the aquamarine silk gauze, leaving only a soft, hazy light.
Lu Jingzhuo sat on the edge of the bed, glancing at Chu Yin.
She was in a deep sleep; he had just tucked her exposed arm back under the quilt, and she hadn't stirred.
Was she that exhausted?
He didn't feel any different from usual, except for...
The vision of her body, tinted with a blush, swaying before his eyes lingered in his mind, causing his Adam's apple to shift.
He decided not to try that again.
Lu Jingzhuo got up and walked outside.
The sun was high in the sky.
Chu Yin still hadn't woken up, deeply immersed in her dream.
A man in dragon robes beckoned her, "Come, help me review the memorials with me."
She dared not overstep and nodded, "I cannot presume to do so, but I can grind ink for Your Majesty."
"Very well," he didn't insist.
She moved to his side, rolling up her cyan sleeves embroidered with phoenix patterns.
The hall was quiet, with a faint scent of refreshing incense wafting from the twin-eared incense burner.
Occasionally glancing to her right, she saw his forceful writing on the memorials, like his well-defined fingers that effortlessly controlled her, guiding her movements.
Her cheeks suddenly warmed, and she set down the inkstick.
Just as she was about to excuse herself, he suddenly wrapped his arms around her waist and asked softly, "What are you thinking about?"
"Nothing..." she avoided his gaze, "I should return to the Kunning Palace."
He didn't let her leave, holding her waist and pulling her onto his lap.
Chu Yin's heart raced, she protested urgently, "Your Majesty, this is improper!"
After all, they were in the Qianqing Palace, not to mention the presence of attendants and the likelihood of officials seeking an audience soon...
He didn't release her, instead, leaning in to kiss her ear.
His breath was hot against her earlobe as he called her "Ah Yin."
His voice was deep and lingering.
Calling her name over and over, it was irresistibly alluring.
Chu Yin felt as though she was melting into that affectionate call, just about to respond when she suddenly awoke.
She was under a light aqua-colored mosquito net, loosely gathered on golden hooks featuring twin dragons playing with a pearl.
This was the Eastern Palace.
She wasn't in Qianqing Palace.
So... was that just a dream?
Her eyes suddenly widened.
Why would she have such a shameful dream!
Wasn't last night enough, to even dream about Lu Jingzhao from her past life...
This is just too...
She stared at the bed canopy, slowly exhaling a breath.
But that dream felt incredibly real, as if she had truly returned to her previous life.
Perhaps, she missed Lu Jingzhao a bit? The one who liked her, who often gently called her name after her death.
Just like that time he kissed her in the Qianqing Palace, she always remembered it clearly.
That regret was never mended.
And for now, all she could do was wait.
Chu Yin lay there for a while, then called Lian Qiao in to attend to her.
Lian Qiao said, "His Highness instructed us not to wake you when he left, so we let you sleep."
She was indeed tired last night, but not from physical exertion, rather from being unaccustomed...
Lu Jingzhao's approach to their marital relations had always been very fixed; she hadn't expected such a change just to have a child.
Why?
Could it be because she often let the children be close to him, leading Lu Jingzhao to find the children adorable?
If that were the case, it would be a good thing.
It's a pity she really can't conceive...
Chu Yin inquired, "What are Zhu and Zhen doing?"
"Zhu is observing ants with Xiao Dou. It might rain soon; the ants are relocating. Zhen is eating water chestnuts delivered from the kitchen... The water chestnuts are especially fresh and delicious at this time. You should try some later."
"Hmm," Chu Yin got out of bed and put on her shoes.
Lian Qiao had already brought a bowl of water chestnuts.
The boiled water chestnuts weren't visually appealing, dark in color, but their flesh was as tender as mutton fat jade, chewy, and sweetly unique in flavor.
Chu Yin ended up eating more than a dozen without realizing it.
"Don't let Zhen eat too many," she cautioned.
Such food wasn't easy to digest.
"Qi Niang is watching over her, it should be fine," Lian Qiao said, but she went to convey the message anyway.
Having risen late, Chu Yin skipped breakfast and directly ordered the kitchen to prepare lunch.
Looking at the remaining water chestnuts, she was about to ask Lian Qiao to take them away but then remembered someone and an issue she needed to address, "Leave some for His Highness, and send the rest to my third brother."
Lian Qiao paused, "Why?"
It was, of course, to show some sisterly concern.
Knowing Lu Jingrui's cunning, sending expensive gifts would only arouse his suspicion. Offering genuinely helpful items like the previously given "Plum Blossom Easy Number" book, along with ordinary things like water chestnuts, would be more likely to put him at ease.
"Just send it and don't ask questions."
She wouldn't say, but Lian Qiao somewhat understood.
The Third Prince seemed quite pitiable. Last time Emperor Jianxing went on his summer retreat, he didn't take him along, and probably the kitchen hadn't prepared his share either.
The Crown Princess truly was kind-hearted.
Lian Qiao placed the water chestnuts in a food container and asked an attendant to deliver them to Lu Jingrui.
Water chestnuts weren't rare, just a common food item. However, due to their limited production in the capital and inferior texture, these fresh and tasty ones were specially transported from the south, requiring considerable effort.
Nonetheless, Lu Jingrui received a share.
Surprised to hear of Chu Yin's gesture, he asked, "Did the Crown Princess really send this?"
"Your Highness, I wouldn't dare to use the Crown Princess's name falsely. I value my life," replied the attendant.
That made sense.
Lu Jingrui instructed his attendant, Zhu Huang, to accept the box, "Then I thank my sister-in-law."
Once the attendant left, Zhu Huang placed the box on the table, "Why didn't you tell me you had water chestnuts? There are so many; we can't possibly finish them all."
This comment revealed just how naïve he was.
But all the attendants selected by Lu Jingrui were not particularly astute.
In his view, the more shrewd they were, the more likely to stir up trouble outside. Simple-minded attendants were more reliable; if someone came seeking information, asking these simpletons would yield nothing.
"If we can't finish, you eat them or distribute them to the palace maids outside. There's always a way," Lu Jingrui said as he took a bowl out of the food box and picked up a water chestnut. "That's a thoughtful gesture from my sister-in-law, and I won't refuse it."
Zhu Huang didn't understand the difficulty of winning people's favor.
If it weren't for his severe injury in the forest that time, regardless of Empress Jiang's reaction, Lu Jingzhe would have been beyond his reach.
Now, his sister-in-law Chu Yin showing concern was precisely what he desired.
But why was she doing this?
First a book and now these water chestnuts.
Was it out of sympathy for his lack of paternal affection, or something else? He wasn't sure, but given Chu Yin's status and background, it was unlikely she had any ulterior motives towards him, unless it involved Lu Jingzhe.
Perhaps she wanted to inquire about his elder brother.
His eldest brother was too stern, making it difficult to get close to him. If the sister-in-law had developed a liking for him, she might be seeking information through Lu Jingrui.
It was all speculation; nothing was certain.
Lu Jingrui peeled a water chestnut and put it in his mouth.
Lian Qiao relayed the attendant's message to Chu Yin: "The Third Prince says thank you."
"He accepted them?"
"Yes, though I don't know if he had any before."
That wasn't important. What mattered was using this to strengthen her relationship with Lu Jingrui. However, his true thoughts were still unknown. She'd probe further when they met next.
Footsteps sounded from outside; Lu Jingzhe was returning.
Chu Yin turned her head and her gaze collided with his, as cold and clear as moonlight.
Somehow, the events of last night surfaced in her mind.
With a slight warmth on her cheeks, she dismissed the image from her mind and asked with a small smile, "Your Highness, would you like some water chestnuts? I've just tried them; they're quite tasty."
"Mm," he replied, coming over to wash his hands.
Chu Yin sat quietly by the table, waiting for him.
In fact, Lu Jingzhao also found himself thinking about last night.
It was strange, yet why couldn't he shake off the thought of a mere change in position?
Was it too novel for him?
He wasn't someone who craved novelty.
He furrowed his brows slightly and turned around.
His gaze fell upon her exquisite profile: fair skin with a rosy tint, perfectly arched brows, a delicate nose, and not a single flaw to be seen. A small, elegant gold lotus flower earring with a blue gem dangled from her right ear, sparkling beautifully.
She was like a painting, meticulously crafted with fine brush strokes.
His eyes lingered for a moment before he sat down beside her.
She remained still, the picture of grace and calm.
If she were still prone to acting coquettishly, she might have already been calling him sweetly while feeding him water chestnuts...
No, what was he thinking?
It was he who had discouraged her coquettish behavior. How could he entertain such thoughts now?
Besides, Chu Yin's coquetry towards him was merely to conceive a child. Regardless of what he said, as soon as she achieved her goal and became pregnant, she would revert to her current demeanor.
Compared to him, Chu Yin knew better how to be a proper crown princess.
Lu Jingzhao picked up the scissors to cut open the water chestnuts.
The shell was quite hard, and she usually had the palace maids cut it for her. Chu Yin's gaze fell on his long, strong fingers, her lips moving involuntarily. She wanted to ask him to cut some for her, but couldn't bring herself to say it.
If he liked her, she wouldn't need to ask; he would have offered to cut them for her already.
Yet, if she suggested feeding him, he would surely refuse, just like that time with the ice cream.
Chu Yin propped her chin in her hand, sighing inwardly, feeling time was passing too slowly.
If she could just skip to two years later, there would be nothing to worry about.
But perhaps it was just as well; two years would give her enough time to recuperate and resolve pending matters.
..................
"Mid-Autumn Festival deepens longing for family," Princess Baocheng didn't want to spend the festival at the Marquis's residence. She had asked Emperor Jianxing in advance if she could bring Jiang Yuyuan to the palace to celebrate with her brother, to which the Emperor had agreed.
As Princess Baocheng and Jiang Yuyuan were on their way to the palace, Chu Yin was getting dressed and made up.
Naturally, she had to dress up for the festival.
Her makeup was meticulously applied, and she chose a brightly colored dress.
Lu Jingzhao, being a man, didn't need to spend as much time getting ready and waited for her in his study.
After a while, Chu Yin, accompanied by their children, joined him to go to the Kun Ning Palace.
Lu Zhen called out, "I want to eat mooncakes."
"Sure, your Imperial Grandmother knows your favorite mooncakes and has prepared them... and there are lanterns to see," Chu Yin pointed outside, "Look, they are all hung up."
Lu Zuan squeezed in to look: "Where, where?"
Both children climbed onto her lap.
Though young, their combined weight was not light, and Chu Yin grunted, "We'll go down to see later, you're squashing me."
Seeing this, Lu Jingzhao leaned over and lifted both children into his arms.
"I didn't realize they've gotten so heavy," Chu Yin remarked, "Your Highness is really strong."
"...This isn't heavy, is it? It's just about the strength needed to pull a bow."
"..." Is that much strength really required to draw a bow? Chu Yin was surprised.
Seeing her expression, Lu Jingzhao realized she knew nothing about archery.
Her previous desire to learn archery was entirely fanciful – with her frail strength, mastering it would be a miracle.
Riding a horse, however, she managed passably.
But she no longer sought his instruction...
As their carriage stopped at the entrance of Kun Ning Palace, they were about to walk in with the children when they heard Lu Jingchen's voice from behind.
That couple had also just arrived.
Before Chu Yin could get a clear view, Lu Jingzhao suddenly took her hand.
His large, warm palm enveloped hers. Chu Yin's heart skipped a beat with surprise, thinking Lu Jingzhao had some intentions, but looking up at his face, she couldn't find a trace of affection in his eyes. Then, seeing Tang Feiyan holding Lu Jingchen's hand, she instantly understood.
He thought Tang Feiyan was trying to upset her again...