chapter 77

Rarely does an Emperor personally patrol the north, but after discovering several military officers' misconduct last time, the high-ranking officials understood his foresight in preventing problems before they arise and fully cooperated.
Empress Dowager Jiang, upon hearing this, naturally worried for her son and gave many instructions.
Sometimes, she would come to advise in the morning and then again in the evening.
Lu Jingzhao could only try to reassure her while also finding time to teach his eldest son how to ride a horse.
The Royal Stables prepared a small mount, only half a person tall, fiery red in color, similar to her "Red Dawn". Chu Yin had wanted to practice riding in the equestrian field these days, but because of her earlier comment, he didn't spare her any evenings.
Fortunately, her period came after only three days of this, which made horseback riding inappropriate, so she just sat and watched.
Lu Jingzhao taught with great detail and patience, endearing himself even more to his son, who looked up to him with admiration and love. Therefore, when he heard his father was going to the north, he was so upset he started to cry.
Chu Yin comforted him, saying it was only for a month, a short time.
Lu Xu already understood the difference between "days, months, and years," and nodded somberly.
Princess Baocheng, learning that her grandnephew was heading to the frontier, visited the palace that day. She spoke with Lu Jingzhao, asking for permission to frequently visit during this period to comfort and care for Empress Dowager Jiang and Chu Yin.
Thinking of his mother's anxious demeanor, Lu Jingzhao agreed.
Returning home in the evening, Princess Baocheng ordered her maid to prepare dinner.
Each night featured a table of delicacies and a pot of fine wine, just enough to lull her to sleep slightly tipsy.
However, a servant interrupted midway to report that a Mr. Shi wished to present a painting.
With the surname Shi, it must be Shi Yu.
A complex expression flickered across Princess Baocheng's face. She took a sip of wine and said, "Bring it to me."
The maid quickly presented the painting, adding that Mr. Shi had not left and was waiting for the princess's response.
Unfolding the painting, she saw herself holding an umbrella amidst snow, picking plum blossoms.
Dressed in a green gown, her face lightly rouged and lips red, her eyes and brows were meticulously detailed, exuding a subtle, melancholic air.
He must have observed her carefully then.
Princess Baocheng gazed at the painting intently, then suddenly smiled.
He really went to great lengths.
She couldn't deny being somewhat moved. Could a young man of twenty-six truly be smitten with her, without any ulterior motives? She gently touched her face, aware of their twelve-year age difference.
What would her brother say if she could ask him?
Leaning back in her chair, Princess Baocheng closed her eyes.
He would probably say, "What's the issue? If you like him, marry him. If he wrongs you, I'll seek justice for you!"
Her brother would surely support her like this. Otherwise, he wouldn't have allowed her to choose a husband at the Qionglin Banquet, where most of the impressive scholars were young, the older ones somewhat less appealing. He never feared gossip.
And she was indeed very selective.
To catch her eye, a man needed to have good looks and a good physique, criteria that eliminated many suitors.
Princess Baocheng pondered for a moment before instructing her maid to invite Shi Yu in.
Soon, he appeared, dressed in a spring robe under the moonlight and a white jade crown, resembling an elegant and noble figure.
"Please sit," Princess Baocheng gestured to the chair opposite her.
Shi Yu, sensing a seventy to eighty percent chance of success, bowed gracefully and took a seat.
"Why did you paint this?" she asked.
"I don't know, perhaps because the image of the princess lingered in my mind that day," he replied.
Skilled with words, Princess Baocheng glanced at his handsome face: "In the apricot grove, when you played the zither, I saw a woman standing beside you. Who is she to you?"
Shi Yu's face showed a hint of sorrow. "That girl was smitten with me, but her family disagreed. So, I persuaded her to listen to her elders and give up on me... I broke her heart."
"I see, I thought she was your beloved."
"If I had someone in my heart, how could I remember the princess so vividly?"
Princess Baocheng smiled softly: "When you asked to marry my niece, was she not the one in your heart?"
Unflustered, Shi Yu replied: "Pressured by my parents, I was in a hurry to marry. I considered Miss Jiang, but later realized she had no feelings for me, so I abandoned the thought. However, it was then I found the princess approachable and pleasant. I'm sure you remember our enjoyable conversation."
Each answer was seamless, but it left Princess Baocheng suddenly disenchanted.
How could he be so perfect unless he had prepared in advance?
Was she to fall into this enticing trap just because of his handsome face and flattering ways?
She had been fooled before.
She knew she was easily swayed, and if she fell for Shi Yu now, it would likely end like Jiang Xian's story - with false affection leading to a quick separation.
Princess Baocheng handed the painting back to Shi Yu: "I am not so desperate."
Shi Yu's face reddened, showing a flicker of panic: "Princess..."
"You may leave," Princess Baocheng interrupted him.
The maids immediately escorted him out.
Realizing his complete failure, Shi Yu bowed deeply, "I apologize for offending you, Princess," and then left the princess's residence.
His departing figure was still captivating, tall and charismatic, compelling her to take a second glance.
Undeniably, Shi Yu offered the comfort she longed for, the romantic excitement she desired between a man and a woman.
In the end, it was all about loneliness.
But does a lonely woman necessarily need to marry? Does she need a man to fill that void?
Princess Baocheng pressed her hand to her forehead, and after a moment, suddenly rose and went to the study.
She used to love reading, striving for her father's favor, wanting to be valued like her brothers. But as a woman, even well-versed in the classics, she never caught her father's eye.
She was never the object of her father's expectations.
Later, she gave up on reading, focusing instead on indulgence in food, drink, and entertainment.
Her marriage to Jiang Xian was just getting by.
It was only after her brother ascended the throne that she felt valued, but that period of recognition was brief; her brother passed away too soon.
Reflecting on her life, she found it rather unfulfilling.
In her youth, she never achieved what she desired. By the time she could, through her brother's influence, she was already older.
Princess Baocheng sighed softly and opened a book.
Perhaps, she should give serious thought to how she wants to spend the rest of her life.
..................
Lu Jingzhao's departure was imminent. Chu Yin instructed Tongdong to find someone to fetch a peace talisman from Baima Temple, and she spent the next few days crafting a sachet to hold the talisman.
On the eve of his departure, the family dined together in Empress Dowager Jiang's Cining Palace.
Chu Yin also brought along their younger son.
The three-month-old child was more lively than before, making "cooing" noises to attract the attention of adults.
Lu Jingzhao looked down and gently touched the child's face with his fingertip, causing the baby to grasp his father's finger.
The tiny hand surprisingly strong.
Lu Jingzhao chuckled: "It seems he will also enjoy archery and horseback riding in the future."
Lu Xu saw his chance: "If Father teaches me, I can teach my little brother."
Hoping his father would spend more time with him in the future.
Meeting his eldest son's hopeful gaze, Lu Jingzhao reached out to ruffle his hair: "Alright, when I return, I'll continue to teach you."
Lu Xu almost jumped for joy.
Lu Zhen then tugged at his father's robe, saying: "Father, you must return safe and sound."
"I will," he promised.
Naturally, Empress Dowager Jiang had her share of admonitions too.
The atmosphere in the palace was filled with reluctance and worry about the impending separation.
Chu Yin, however, said little.
Since returning from Rabbit Hill, she hadn't inquired further about the northern patrol. Lu Jingzhao, sitting by the bed, suddenly recalled her visit to Wenshu Monastery, insisting on being held by him, restless throughout the night.
Now, it seemed, he was the one more reluctant to part.
His fingers trailed from her cheek to her waist as he leaned in and whispered, "Has your period ended?"
Feeling the pressing intensity of the man, Chu Yin instinctively replied, "Not yet."
It had been about five days, hadn't it?
He kissed her slender neck, his fingers exploring under her clothes, gently caressing as he murmured, "Are you sure you're not deceiving me? A'Yin, I leave tomorrow."
His voice was deep, a mix of entreaty and temptation.
Withholding for five days and facing separation, Chu Yin, torn between reluctance and concern, finally said, "If Your Majesty can restrain yourself a bit, then indeed, my period is over."
He chuckled silently at her response: "A'Yin, have you never felt comfortable with me?"
When she, too, would often moan uncontrollably.
Chu Yin blushed, avoiding the question.
Sensing a compromise, Lu Jingzhao wasted no time in embracing her fully.
Their eyes locked, hearts pounding in unison.
"I'll be gentle, A'Yin," he whispered, his kisses starting at her forehead.
If they must part, he would cherish her in the way she loved.
That night was exceptionally tender, occasionally intense, but perfectly balanced. She wasn't left exhausted, nor unsatisfied.
Waking up, she found herself still entwined with him, like ivy.
How had she fallen asleep in such a position? Chu Yin couldn't understand it herself.
Blushing, she attempted to disentangle herself, only to be held firmly and kissed passionately by the already awake Lu Jingzhao.
"Help me dress," he said.
Chu Yin donned a robe and got up.
She then fetched his clothes, assisting him in dressing.
As she fastened his jade belt, she looked up at his face, her gaze lingering.
Perhaps it was the impending separation, but she found him exceptionally handsome today, indescribably so, especially in his dragon-embroidered riding attire, his figure striking, as if he stepped out of a painting.
He raised an eyebrow: "What is it?"
"Nothing," Chu Yin came back to her senses and tied the sachet she had prepared earlier to his waist, "It has a peace talisman inside. Please, Your Majesty, don't lose it."
He paused, feeling the sachet: "Did you make this?"
"Yes, my needlework isn't the best, please don't mind it, Your Majesty."
How could he? He thought, impossible.
"I'll take care," he said, touching the sachet again. Suddenly, he had a ludicrous thought of taking Chu Yin with him. She wasn't one to cause trouble, and could even ease his worries.
But, that thought was quickly extinguished.
Although he believed the journey would be safe, where in the world is there a risk-free endeavor? If something happened to him...
With Chu Yin in the palace, caring for the heir of Dayue, he would have no worries left behind.
Chu Yin was not only the woman he loved but also a dependable wife.
The couple walked hand in hand to the palace gate.
Their two children also came to bid farewell to their father.
He turned and hugged his son and daughter, finally embracing Chu Yin in his arms.
"I am leaving now," he whispered in her ear.
"Yes," Chu Yin responded, "I will wait for Your Majesty's safe return... I will miss you."
He tightened his arms around her for a moment, then let go and strode away.
Chu Yin watched him board the royal carriage, feeling a sudden emptiness inside.
The children felt the same.
Lu Xu's eyes reddened as he asked in a low voice, "Will Daddy really return in a month?"
"If the weather is bad, it might take a few more days... Xu'er, your father promised you, he won't break his word."
"Okay," Lu Xu nodded, "If I get good at riding before Daddy returns, he will be so happy," he tugged at his mother's sleeve, "Mother, teach me, you've learned it for so long, haven't you?"
"...I can try, but you still have your lessons."
"We can add an extra riding class. If Mother arranges it, it will surely happen."
The little guy was quite clever. Chu Yin chuckled: "Alright."
Lu Zhen added, "Then I want to add a shuttlecock kicking class too, Mother can teach me that."
Chu Yin: "..."
It seemed she wouldn't have a moment's rest for a while.
But it was a welcome challenge. She only hoped her son wouldn't find her teaching inadequate. As for shuttlecock kicking, she was quite confident in her skills.
As Chu Yin and her children were chatting, Princess Baocheng came over from Cining Palace.
She had also come to bid farewell to Lu Jingzhao. After he had paid his respects to his mother, Princess Baocheng spoke briefly with Empress Dowager Jiang, then came to visit Chu Yin, Lu Xu, and Lu Zhen.
"Your sister-in-law cried again. Ah, A'Yin, don't worry like her. You need to manage the palace affairs, being distraught won't help," she advised Chu Yin.
"I understand, Aunt," Chu Yin smiled, "His Majesty is meticulous in his actions and has everything well arranged. I believe he will be safe."
"That's more like an Empress," Princess Baocheng appraised her, then suddenly said, "A'Yin, let me take your pulse. Weren't you quite weak before? I want to see how you are now."
"What?" Chu Yin was startled, "Aunt, when did you learn to take pulses?"
She had never heard of her aunt having this skill in either of her lives!
Princess Baocheng coughed lightly: "I've recently taken an interest in medicine and learned a bit from books..."
Chu Yin became even more puzzled: "Why would you study medicine?" Nevertheless, she cooperatively sat down on a stone bench in the courtyard, extending her wrist.
"Just for fun, nothing to do," Princess Baocheng placed two fingers on her wrist, "Maybe I should ask the head of the Medical Institute to be my teacher?"
"...I'm afraid he might not accept you as a disciple. The Ma family is strict with their medical traditions; it's not taught to outsiders," Chu Yin replied, knowing that even a princess couldn't force the head of the Medical Institute to teach her.
Princess Baocheng felt a bit frustrated: "But I can't just find any quack either."
Chu Yin didn't quite understand why her aunt suddenly wanted to learn medicine, but it reminded her of someone.
She remembered that next year a plague would break out in Wei Prefecture, killing two-thirds of the city's population. The plague would spread to nearby cities. Lu Jingzhao had sent imperial physicians, but it was eventually a folk healer who saved the people and ended the epidemic.
An idea struck Chu Yin: "How about I recommend someone to you, Aunt?"
Princess Baocheng's eyes lit up: "Oh, someone like Minister Yi, a capable person?"
She found her niece-in-law quite intriguing. A casual recommendation from Chu Yin had previously successfully dealt with a locust plague, so Princess Baocheng was naturally expectant.
"I can't guarantee that, but I've heard this person doesn't stick to conventions in choosing disciples, only caring about affinity. Maybe you'll catch his eye, Aunt? Why not try?"
Princess Baocheng was indeed very idle at the moment: "Where is he?"
"In Qingfeng Town, Jinzhou."