chapter 51

Chu Yin never dreamed that one day Lu Jingzhuo would be dissatisfied with her kissing and ask her to kiss him.
His wife, looking up, opened her clear, distinct almond eyes in surprise.
Lu Jingzhuo inquired, "What's wrong?"
"I was just thinking, you didn't use to talk like this," she said.
He knew this better than anyone.
But when it came to changes, in their relationship, he certainly couldn't outdo Chu Yin.
Lu Jingzhuo admitted, "Yes," his fingers gently stroking her cheek, "If you need time to think, I can wait."
When she asked for a kiss, he had made her wait, leading to her complaints, "It's not like we haven't kissed before, why think so long about it?"
Back then, he thought she was too bold, almost improper. Now, he wished she would return to that state.
Chu Yin's eyes twinkled faintly, like fireflies on a summer night, "What if I need half a day, or even a whole day to think?"
That would be acceptable, Lu Jingzhuo said, "As you wish, but whether it's satisfactory or not will be for me to decide."
At that time, he had made sure she was satisfied.
Chu Yin caught the underlying message and immediately wrapped her arms around his neck.
Kissing takes effort, and if he mischievously claimed dissatisfaction, she might end up with chapped lips.
But delaying the kiss would be like pushing him away, wouldn't it?
He had just begun to warm up to her; she wasn't foolish enough to reject him.
She pressed her lips against his.
His hands immediately found her waist.
Though reborn, her past life's experience with kissing was almost nil, and Chu Yin wasn't skilled at it.
Unsure how to satisfy him, she pondered a moment and then tentatively licked with the tip of her tongue.
It was like a feather, tickling and tantalizing.
His eyes darkened slightly, and he said in a hoarse voice, "Continue."
But she dared not lick his lips again, feeling his intense heat in that instant. With her period not yet over, if she aroused him, how would she handle it? Although she had learned about it when she got married, she had never tried it.
She truly didn't know what it would be like in reality.
As for Lu Jingzhuo...
She wondered if he understood these things, but given his current demeanor, if he really wanted, he would probably ask directly without blushing.
Chu Yin stopped licking, instead teasing his tongue gently with the tip of hers.
After a while, she asked, "Are you satisfied now, Your Highness?"
He didn't speak but instead cradled the back of her head and kissed her back.
What she dared not do, he did. Chu Yin felt herself being enticed, her lips and tongue almost unable to keep up. Just as she was about to push him away, they heard their son's voice from outside the window, "Daddy, oh, Daddy is kissing Mommy!"
Lu Jingzhuo lifted his head and saw Xiaodou standing about a yard away, carrying Lu Zhen.
Not very close, but close enough to see clearly.
"I deserve to die!" Xiaodou hurriedly set Lu Zhen down and knelt on the ground.
Usually, he would carry the young master around the courtyard for play and distraction, but who would have thought today the young master would witness such a scene.
Seen or not, shouting it out had nearly scared Xiaodou to death.
Chu Yin, who also heard, chided, "I said it was time for dinner."
Now, their son had seen them.
Previously, their daughter had seen them too, and his feelings then compared to now were entirely different. Lu Jingzhuo thought, after all, what does it matter? A kiss between husband and wife is nothing but normal.
He glanced at Chu Yin's lips, glistening with moisture, took a handkerchief to wipe hers, then his own.
"Xiaodou will be more careful next time."
Chu Yin: "..."
It seemed he would continue to do this in the future.
He had broken his own rule, and now that rule no longer existed.
Lu Jingzhuo helped her down from the table and instructed a palace maid to set the table for dinner.
Chu Yin said, "Xiaodou is still kneeling; you should go and speak to him."
It was his responsibility to resolve the trouble he caused.
Lu Jingzhuo walked to the window and noticed his daughter was also there.
He said to Xiaodou, "Get up, this matter has nothing to do with you."
Looking at their father, as stern and unyielding as ever, Lu Zhen turned to speak to his sister, "I really saw it just now, don't believe me? I'll ask Daddy... Daddy, you were kissing Mommy just now, weren't you?"
The urge to cover his son's mouth was strong, but he answered, "Yes."
Lu Zhen, who hadn't seen, asked curiously, "Daddy, when will you kiss Mommy again?"
That was hard to predict; it could happen at any time. Lu Jingzhuo looked at Xiaodou and Qiniang, "Take them back."
The two hurriedly escorted the young masters away.
Fulfilling his promise to Chu Yin, Lu Jingzhuo found time to visit the Kunning Palace.
Empress Dowager Jiang was reviewing an account book sent by Consort Shu.
It was more of a cursory glance, a formality, as Empress Dowager Jiang knew her husband would surely have He Zhong scrutinize it thoroughly, not trusting Consort Shu with such a large amount of money.
"Jingzhuo, why have you come at this hour?" she asked, smiling as she looked up.
"I wanted to ask Mother about Cousin-in-law's visit," he said straightforwardly, "She didn't come just to visit us, did she? Do you know anything?"
Empress Dowager Jiang was unaware, "She didn't tell me, but I also feel she's troubled. You should ask Shan Hui."
It turned out the matter had nothing to do with his mother, but Lu Jingzhuo didn't inquire further with his aunt. Instead, he instructed Dong Ling to find Li Yuan and investigate.
Li Yuan was a commander in the Jinyiwei.
After the start of winter, the capital city welcomed its first snowfall.
The snowflakes fluttered down noisily, like falling pear blossoms, quickly covering the ground.
The children, unafraid of the cold, ran into the courtyard to tread on the snow, soaking their shoes. Qiniang helplessly said to Chu Yin, "I couldn't stop them..."
Chu Yin, watching from under the eaves, smiled, "Let them be. After they're done playing, they can change their shoes and sit inside for a while."
The palace had already warmed up with charcoal basins, cozy as spring, so they wouldn't catch a cold.
Qiniang nodded in agreement.
Xiaodou, eager to please the young masters, started making a snow lion with his hands.
Lu Zhen circled around, curious, "Can you really make a lion?"
He had only seen 'lions' in embroidery.
"Of course, just wait a moment," Xiaodou said, putting in more effort.
Lu Zhen called out, "Mother, come and see the flowers."
The camellias in winter were exceptionally vivid, as red as cinnabar.
Chu Yin walked to her daughter, leaving deep footprints in the snow with her new felt boots.
"These are camellia flowers, they bloom for two months."
"How long is two months?"
Children really didn't grasp the concept of time. Chu Yin explained, "Remember when you, Daddy, and I were apart for half a month? Two months is much longer than that."
"That's a very long time," Lu Zhen grasped her mother's sleeve, "Next time you go somewhere, you must take Zhen'er with you."
"If I can take you along, I certainly will," Chu Yin assured.
"Mom, look at the lion," Lu Zhen called out excitedly, "It's so lifelike! If only it were bigger, I could ride it."
Chu Yin: "..."
Lu Zhen giggled, "Brother wants to ride everything."
"Exactly, lions bite, and even if it was big, you couldn't ride it. Besides, it's made of snow, it would fall apart," Chu Yin pinched her son's cheek, "Riding big horses is enough, don't be greedy."
Lu Zhen pouted, "Why fear lions? With Daddy around!"
Unknowingly, he had grown to rely on his father. Chu Yin felt a sense of pride, "Daddy might be able to subdue lions, but still, they can't be ridden."
While they were talking, Lu Jingzhuo returned to the Eastern Palace.
Lu Zhen rushed to him, "Daddy, can I ride a lion? Mommy said I can't!"
Lu Jingzhuo: "...You can't."
Hearing his father say the same, Lu Zhen realized it truly wasn't possible and gave up the idea.
"Daddy, this is the snow lion Xiaodou made," Lu Zhen pulled him to see, "Does it look like one?"
"Hmm, it's just a bit small."
His father thought the same as him. Lu Zhen's eyes sparkled, "Yes, it's so small, not even as big as my wooden horse."
Xiaodou quickly offered, "I'll make another one."
He squatted down to start.
Lu Jingzhuo suggested, "You alone won't be enough, get some skilled helpers..." turning to Dong Ling, "You go too."
"Yes."
The courtyard became livelier immediately.
In her previous life, Chu Yin had never experienced building snow lions. She smiled at Lu Jingzhuo, noticing his newfound willingness to indulge their son.
Catching her gaze, Lu Jingzhuo asked, "The Emperor plans to go hunting in a few days, do you really intend to join?"
"Yes, I truly want to go."
"Then you should get a thicker riding and archery outfit made in advance."
"Alright." She immediately instructed Lianqiao to visit the Imperial Workshops.
With many hands at work, the snow lion was almost completed.
The process was so entertaining that Lu Zhen was thoroughly engrossed.
Chu Yin, standing outside, suddenly felt her hands getting cold.
She hadn't brought a hand warmer.
About to ask Rendong to fetch one, she changed her mind upon seeing the man beside her.
Didn't he warm her hands last time? Chu Yin coughed deliberately.
Lu Jingzhuo turned, "Let's go inside."
"......"
Her plan failed.
Chu Yin, a bit unwilling, said, "It's almost done, let's wait a bit longer."
Still not moving despite coughing? Lu Jingzhuo raised an eyebrow, "You can wait just as well inside."
Chu Yin didn't move, making an excuse, "I want to watch them finish. We rarely saw snow in Qingzhou, I've never seen a snow lion being made." While speaking, she extended her hands and gently rubbed them together.
Being so obvious, he should understand, right?
Lu Jingzhuo glanced over and ordered a palace maid, "Bring a hand warmer."
Chu Yin: "..."
Last time he had warmed her hands himself. Why the change now?
She bit her lip lightly, thinking inwardly, "How annoying."
The newly built snow lion was a full ten feet long and five feet high, majestic and imposing. Lu Zhen was thrilled, running and jumping around it.
Lu Zhen asked a servant to pluck a camellia flower, and had Qiniang hold it to adorn the snow lion's head.
Chu Yin and Lu Jingzhuo exchanged smiles as they watched.
Gazing into his eyes, now melting like ice in the sun and softened, Chu Yin remarked, "Your Highness smiles much more now than before."
"It's nothing special." In the past, there were simply fewer things that made him smile.
But it seemed Chu Yin was quite concerned about it.
He remembered her surprise and delight the first time she saw him smile, even asking him to smile again.
Did she really enjoy seeing him smile that much?
Lu Jingzhuo pondered to himself.
But forcing a smile would be rather strange...
The Nanyuan Hunting Grounds outside of the capital had always been a hunting area for emperors. Usually managed by palace eunuchs, they raised deer, rabbits, roe deer, wild boars, and sheep. In recent years, as Emperor Jianxing had not hunted there, the animals had grown plump and leisurely grazed about.
The animals, being foolish and bold, made hunting less enjoyable, so the eunuchs devised ways to scare them, keeping them alert.
Hearing that everything was ready, Emperor Jianxing left early in the morning with his eldest son and daughter-in-law, his second son and daughter-in-law, Princess Baocheng, several generals, and a group of guards for Nanyuan.
Tang Feiyan finally felt relieved, her anxiety of the past few days easing.
Her father-in-law was no longer angry with her!
"I must shoot a sheep or a rabbit today," Tang Feiyan whispered to her husband, "You must help me. I need to impress my father-in-law and show him my skills."
"What face do you need to show?" Lu Jingchen frowned, "Just take care of your sister-in-law, she's just learned to ride and isn't skilled yet. Look after her," he whispered, "Don't think about showing off... Are you trying to compete with your sister-in-law again?"
"I'm not, really, I just want to impress Father," Tang Feiyan almost swore in her insistence.
Lu Jingchen held her hand, "Trust me, it's best if you stay quiet and calm. Otherwise, you'll definitely anger Father. We don't even know how we offended Aunt last time, shouldn't you be more cautious?"
Their situation seemed increasingly difficult. Tang Feiyan sighed, "Alright, alright, I'll look after my sister-in-law, okay? I'll ensure her safety and happiness."
"That's better," Lu Jingchen sneakily pinched her waist and whispered, "I'll reward you more tonight."
Reunited after half a month, the couple was affectionate. Understanding his implication, Tang Feiyan's cheeks heated up, she flicked the reins, "You catch a sheep for me later, I want to eat roasted lamb."
Lu Jingchen didn't intend to stand out today, and of course, he couldn't really.
Not to mention Lu Jingzhuo's superior archery and riding skills, he couldn't compare with the generals either. His role was to take care of his father and aunt, but catching a sheep was no issue, Lu Jingchen said, "I'll make sure you have your fill."
Tang Feiyan then rode off to find Chu Yin and Lu Jingzhuo nearby.
Chu Yin was dressed in a rose-colored riding outfit embroidered with begonias, wearing a cloak and a ring of snowy fur around her neck, which made her look exceptionally graceful and delicate. Lu Jingzhuo glanced at her a few times, "You should ride in the carriage."
Everyone had ridden horses on the way, but to avoid fatigue on the return, carriages were prepared.
"Ah?" Chu Yin opened her mouth in surprise, "Why? Nanyuan isn't far, it's only half an hour's ride."
"It's not far, but you'll have to ride more afterwards. Are you sure you can handle it?" Did she still want him to apply ointment for her?
But who learns a skill and doesn't want to use it? Chu Yin felt the same, "I should be able to endure it."
"Should be?"
Not to mention the fatigue, how would she hide her face in this cold weather?
Lu Jingzhuo was about to insist, but then heard Tang Feiyan's voice, "Big brother, leave sister-in-law to me. I'll take good care of her. You go hunting without worry!"
Her arrival was sudden but timely. Chu Yin seized the opportunity, "Your Highness, my sister-in-law is skilled at riding, you don't have to worry about me," looking ahead, "Father and Aunt have ridden ahead, Your Highness, you should catch up."
He could see she was hurrying him along so she could continue riding.
Lu Jingzhuo moved closer and with one swift motion, effortlessly lifted his disobedient wife off her horse.
Chu Yin met Tang Feiyan's shocked gaze, her cheeks flushed, whispering, "Your Highness, we could have just talked, why do this..." with many guards around.
Lu Jingzhuo, without a word, walked to a nearby carriage and ushered Chu Yin inside, "Sit in the carriage properly."
Chu Yin: "..."
Tang Feiyan, stunned, realized her assistance was entirely unnecessary. Her sister-in-law didn't need her care at all; she was now completely superfluous!