chapter 9

That was a rather disheartening remark.
But not without reason.
Their relationship had always been calm like still water; she had never given him any gifts before. Now, suddenly presenting a vase of flowers, it must have been quite surprising to him, leading his thoughts astray.
In her previous life, Lu Jingzhuo had once given her a calligraphy piece by Liu Xu.
At that time, she had already moved into the Kun Ning Palace. One day, Dong Ling brought in some books and paintings, said to be tributes from local officials. Lu Jingzhuo planned to select one for his study. Curious, she looked and found among them Liu Xu's "Record of Seeking Truth."
Liu Xu's calligraphy was elegant and vigorous, a style she always admired. She had already collected three pieces of his work, but this one was missing, making it a tremendous surprise.
That evening, she mentioned it to Lu Jingzhuo, subtly expressing her desire to keep it. Lu Jingzhuo, indifferent as usual, said she could do as she pleased with it, as the remaining artworks were to be stored away.
At the time, she hadn't thought much of it, only later realizing how coincidental it was: an official just happened to tribute paintings, among which just happened to be Liu Xu's work.
Clearly, he had gone to great lengths to find it for her...
But he never told her.
His words were mere lip service.
Chu Yin said, "I don't have anything particular to discuss with Your Highness, just wanted to give you a vase of flowers. I hope when you see them, you'll think of me."
Although she was already taking care of her health, how much time she had left was uncertain. She hoped that in her remaining life, they wouldn't miss out on each other like in their previous life.
So, it wasn't a bribe.
Lu Jingzhuo was somewhat surprised. Why was that?
What did she mean by "think of her when seeing the flowers"? Chu Yin was becoming increasingly enigmatic.
A silence fell in the hall, a kind of inexplicable oppression, not a good atmosphere.
But Chu Yin understood him.
He was just not expressive. Knowing her thoughts now, he must be delighted. She tugged at his sleeve, "Can we put it in your study? I spent the whole afternoon on it, enduring the pain."
A ploy to gain sympathy?
Lu Jingzhuo thought to himself that arranging flowers wasn't his idea, so it couldn't be attributed to him.
Such cold words, however, could not escape his lips when he looked into her expectant eyes.
When he consented, Chu Yin cheerfully instructed Dong Ling to move the vase to the study.
Dong Ling, loyal only to Lu Jingzhuo, didn't dare act without an order.
Chu Yin then looked up at him, urging with her eyes.
Compared to before, she had really changed. Her actions and words were different from the past, more affectionate. If it was for having a child, he could understand, but it seemed there was more to it than that.
Lu Jingzhao said, "Move it then."
It was then that Dong Ling took action.
Since Chu Yin was still on her period, she went to bed early after the meal.
Lu Jingzhao sat in his study, gazing at the vase of flowers, lost in thought.
The scent of jasmine flowers was faint but indeed refreshing, evoking many past memories for him.
Memories from Qingzhou, and of when Chu Yin had just returned to the capital.
After a separation of over two years, upon their reunion, Chu Yin had never been this proactive. She simply smiled gently in the wind, calling him "Your Highness," then approached with their two children, teaching them to call him "Daddy."
That was the Chu Yin he knew, not the one he was seeing now.
By late night, he returned to the bedroom.
Through the light blue and gold embroidered lotus curtain, the undulating contours under the brocade quilt were faintly visible, beautifully curved.
He watched for a moment before lifting the curtain and lying down.
Whether it was the slight noise or something else, Chu Yin moved closer to him, her soft hands searching briefly before accurately finding their way into his embrace.
It was hard not to suspect it was intentional.
He remained still, waiting to see what she would do next, curious about her intentions.
Unexpectedly, she didn't move further, just nestled against his chest, sleeping soundly.
It wasn't winter, and it was quite warm.
Soon, he felt uncomfortable; she was too close, her forehead against his neck, her breath escaping from slightly parted lips, carrying a faint fragrance of orchids that intermittently wafted into his nose.
He began to sweat and gently grasped her shoulder, nudging her gently away.
She seemed reluctant, humming discontentedly, her cherry lips pouting, showing a hint of grievance.
She appeared very attached to him...
Lu Jingzhao felt parched and restless.
Just then, Chu Yin's eyelashes fluttered, and she suddenly opened her eyes.
Their eyes met, sparking a subtle tension in the dimly lit room.
After a brief pause, her voice hoarse, she asked, "Your Highness... what time is it?"
"It's the end of the 'Xu' hour," his voice was hoarser.
She had gone to sleep at the 'You' hour.
"Why did I wake up?" Chu Yin wondered, covering her mouth with a yawn, "I've only slept for an hour."
She must have been awakened by his nudge.
Though he had used the slightest force.
Lu Jingzhao cleared his throat softly, "...Continue sleeping."
She hummed in response but didn't close her eyes.
Their position was a bit awkward; her leg was against his waist, but their upper bodies were oddly apart...
How had she managed that?
It couldn't have been that she had twisted into such a position while asleep, could it?
It was a bit embarrassing.
She retracted her leg and turned her back to him to sleep.
Amidst her thick black hair, a stretch of her snow-white neck was faintly visible. Lu Jingzhao's gaze lingered there, his breathing deepened slightly.
It was hard to believe he had felt desire while she was menstruating.
His mind had been filled with some reckless and wild thoughts...
This would have been unimaginable in the past.
Chu Yin had changed, but why was he also feeling so unusual?
He didn't like this sensation.
Lu Jingzhao slowly exhaled and closed his eyes.
After resting for two days, Chu Yin felt much better. Anticipating that Empress Dowager Jiang might have heard of her condition, she decided to visit with her two children to pay respects.
Empress Dowager Jiang indeed knew, "I heard you called for Physician Liu. Is everything alright?"
"Indeed, there's nothing serious. It was my fault, causing unnecessary worry for His Highness and Aunt. I will be more careful in the future."
"Who would joke with their own health? Don't worry about it," Empress Dowager Jiang said, holding her grandchildren's hands. "You've worked hard raising them. Naturally, you must take care of your health. Once your period is over, you should resume practicing... what was it again?"
"The Five Animal Frolics, the Eight Pieces of Brocade."
"Right, right," the Empress Dowager laughed.
While they were talking, Consort Hui requested an audience.
Empress Dowager Jiang paused, then invited her in.
Consort Hui was rarely seen in public, unlike Consort Shu who managed the inner court on behalf of Empress Dowager Jiang, but Chu Yin knew why Consort Hui was here – it was about Prince Jingrui's marriage.
Prince Jingchen had already established his own residence outside the palace, and Consort Hui wished for her son to marry and become a prince as well.
It must be said that Consort Hui's thoughts were quite straightforward, not understanding her son's desires at all.
In the previous life, Prince Jingrui delayed his marriage, staying in the palace until Emperor Jianxing's death, observing mourning rites there. After Chu Yin passed away and became a spirit, she saw that after the mourning period, Prince Jingrui was named Prince Huai and granted his own residence.
Prince Jingrui later married the daughter of the Duke of Wei, greatly strengthening his position.
At that time, the Duke of Wei was a commander and played a significant role in Prince Jingrui's attempts to seize the throne from Prince Jingzhao.
If Prince Jingrui were to marry now, he wouldn't be as favored by the Emperor as Prince Jingchen, likely leading to a distant fief and not having a powerful family like the Duke of Wei's as in-laws.
After entering, Consort Hui bowed to Empress Dowager Jiang and Chu Yin.
"Your Majesty, I have a favor to ask of you."
Consort Hui had an oval face and almond-shaped eyes, with a fair complexion that made her strikingly beautiful. Prince Jingrui resembled her and therefore had somewhat feminine features.
Empress Dowager Jiang had been at odds with the concubines initially, but after giving up, she realized they were all pitiable. No amount of fighting would make the Emperor favor just one of them; he had countless choices.
Moreover, she felt somewhat indebted to Consort Hui.
"Please sit," said Empress Dowager Jiang. "Speak frankly."
Consort Hui spoke softly, "Your Majesty, I came to discuss the matter of the Third Prince. I believe it's time for him to marry. I hope he can have a wife to take care of him. I request Your Majesty's assistance in choosing a gentle and kind princess for him. Her family background need not be too prominent."
Prince Jingrui would probably be furious to hear this.
Chu Yin thought to herself that perhaps she could facilitate this; it would eliminate future risks.
Once Prince Jingrui was settled elsewhere, he would no longer have a chance to be near the throne.
Let him enjoy his life as a wealthy prince.
"The Third Brother seems quite sensible, not any less than the Second Brother. It's indeed time for him to start a family. Mother, please agree to her request," Chu Yin chimed in, "Adding another princess to the royal family will also bring more liveliness."
Empress Dowager Jiang pondered for a moment: "Alright, I'll find an opportunity to discuss it with the Emperor."
Her husband would likely not object.
Consort Hui expressed her gratitude repeatedly.
When Chu Yin returned to the Eastern Palace around noon, she informed Lu Jingzhao of the matter and observed his reaction.
He didn't comment much.
Just like in her previous life.
Without the subsequent events, she would never have noticed his particular concern for Prince Jingrui.
What was the reason behind it?
She instinctively felt she wouldn't get much out of Lu Jingzhao and decided to probe her mother-in-law next time.
Three days later, her period ended, and Nurse Chen came to the Eastern Palace in the morning to teach her the Five Animal Frolics and the Eight Pieces of Brocade.
Nurse Chen was very thoughtful, bringing two sets of short workout clothes.
After changing, Chu Yin attracted the amused attention of Lu Xu and Lu Zhen, who found it quite novel.
"This is called short workout clothes, typically worn by those practicing martial arts," Chu Yin explained to the children.
"What's martial arts?" Lu Xu asked, not understanding.
"...Ask your father later."
Nurse Chen began the lesson earnestly, "The first movement, 'Two Hands Hold up the Heavens to Regulate the Triple Burner.' Crown Princess, please pay attention to my movements."
Chu Yin earnestly followed along.
The children, curious, also tried to mimic the movements behind her.
"The second movement, 'Draw the Bow to Shoot the Eagle.'"
After teaching the Eight Pieces of Brocade, she moved on to the Five Animal Frolics.
As a lady of high birth, Chu Yin was accustomed to more refined activities and had never encountered these exercises before. After practicing several times without perfecting the movements, Nurse Chen suggested they continue the next day without rushing.
Even if she was in a hurry, Chu Yin couldn't perform them properly.
Exhausted, Chu Yin collapsed into a chair, sweating profusely.
After resting for half an hour, she finally had enough energy to go and wash.
Lian Qiao massaged her shoulders, "You've worked too hard. I feel sorry just watching. Maybe rest tomorrow."
Matters concerning her life were too important to ignore, no matter how exhausting.
Even if she didn't practice, she planned to play hide-and-seek with her children.
"Born in adversity, die in ease. Lian Qiao, I've come to understand another saying," Chu Yin toyed with the pink petals on the water surface, "One can also 'die from lack of diligence'."
Lian Qiao: "..."
Bathing was refreshing, but perhaps due to her first intense exercise session, she felt not only weak in the legs but also extremely tired after leaving the bath, yearning for sleep.
However, it was already midday, not an ideal time for a nap, and her hair was still wet, so she had to persevere.
The children excitedly told Lu Jingzhao about her exercise, "Daddy, Mommy was practicing martial arts... wearing short workout clothes."
They found it amusing and wanted to share with their father.
It seemed Nurse Chen had visited, Lu Jingzhao thought, wondering how well she had managed the exercises.
But those two techniques were quite simple; they shouldn't have been difficult for her.
"Daddy, what is martial arts?" Lu Xu still remembered his question.
Explaining martial arts...
That's quite difficult.
Lu Jingzhao bent down to pick up a stone from the ground and threw it at the pomegranate tree in the courtyard, immediately knocking down a pomegranate blossom.
"Ah, Daddy is so skilled," Lu Zhu said, waving his hands. "Daddy, throw another one."
Lu Zhen, however, exclaimed, "Ah, my pomegranate."
Mother said that pomegranate flowers turn into sweet pomegranates.
Hearing the children's voices, Chu Yin came out and saw Lu Jingzhao knocking down a cicada from a tree.
Lu Zhu ran over to pick it up: "I want to learn martial arts too!"
Chu Yin: "..."
Is this how he explains martial arts?
"When you grow up, I'll teach you. Now, your father is busy," Lu Jingzhao signaled to Xiao Dou and Qi Niang with a glance.
The two hurriedly carried the young masters away.
Rendong brought a basin of water for him to wash his hands.
Chu Yin said with a smile, "So you also know the art of hidden weapons... Did you learn it along with archery?"
"Hmm," Lu Jingzhao glanced at her.
She wore a light green blouse, her hair damp and draped over her shoulders, with a few droplets falling and dampening her garment, faintly revealing the apricot-colored camisole beneath.
The desire she had stirred in him that night suddenly resurfaced.
In broad daylight, it was truly startling.
He lowered his gaze to dry his hands: "How is your progress in martial arts?"
"Don't even mention it..." Chu Yin got irritated just talking about it.
She never wanted anyone else to teach her; she wanted Lu Jingzhao to be her instructor, whether it was for archery, horse riding, or anything else...
"I can't learn any of it," she said, looking at him with her watery eyes, speaking in a low voice, "It's your fault for not teaching me."
He paused in his movements, the veins on the back of his hand subtly visible under the cloth.
Could she possibly refrain from acting coy at this moment?