chapter 36

After soaking in warm water for a while, Chu Yin's soreness eased, but her drowsiness intensified, and she fell asleep as soon as her head touched the pillow.
Lu Jingzhao returned to the bedroom to find her deeply asleep.
It seemed she was indeed exhausted, unable to cope with the strain.
Thinking this, he felt a pain in his shoulder.
It had hurt during cleaning too, perhaps because Chu Yin had pinched him hard enough to break the skin.
He loosened his robe and turned to look, noticing two faint red, crescent-shaped nail marks on his shoulder.
The image of her tearful yet enraptured expression flashed through his mind, suddenly igniting a wave of heat within him.
But they had just been intimate...
He frowned slightly and blew out the candle before lying down.
The morning light was faint, the room half-lit, with the soft sound of birds chirping in the background.
The moment Lu Jingzhao opened his eyes, he felt his entire arm numb. Reaching out to rub it, he touched something soft.
It was Chu Yin, resting on his arm.
They had been apart when they went to sleep...
What happened?
He couldn't remember at all.
Looking down at his wife, her face serene and flushed like a blooming lotus in sleep, he didn't have the heart to wake her. He slowly withdrew his arm and got dressed.
She must have moved closer to him on her own, right?
She used to like curling up in his arms, and he had mentioned being accommodating yesterday...
He bent down to adjust the quilt properly over her before leaving the room.
An hour later, Chu Yin finally woke up.
Her waist was still sore.
She wasn't accustomed to that position.
Thankfully, it was a misunderstanding; if he were always like that during intimacy, how could she endure?
Just as Chu Yin was about to sit up, she realized she was not sleeping in her usual position.
How did she end up moving to the inner side of the bed?
Did she roll over in her sleep, or did Lu Jingzhao...
She had slept so soundly that she had no memory of it.
Rubbing her waist, Chu Yin instructed Ren Dong, "I won't practice horse riding this afternoon."
Ren Dong understood, "The Crown Princess should indeed rest for a few more days."
The intimacy between the couple the previous day was unusual, and afterward, the Crown Prince even carried the Crown Princess to bathe. Although he didn't bathe her himself, it was the first time such a thing happened. At this rate, the Crown Princess might soon conceive.
She went out to convey the message.
After breakfast, Chu Yin continued reading her agricultural book.
Lu Zuan was in a bad mood today, complaining to his mother, "Father said he would take me to ride a big horse, but we still haven't gone."
"......"
Lu Zhen teased her brother, "Brother just bumped into a wooden horse while playing hide-and-seek with Xiao Dou."
Oh, bumping into the wooden horse reminded him of real horse riding.
But promises to children shouldn't be delayed. Perhaps Lu Jingzhao, preoccupied with locust plague prevention, had forgotten. Chu Yin comforted, "I'll talk to your father later. He'll definitely let you ride a big horse soon, okay?"
"Okay!" Lu Zuan cheered up again.
Lu Zhen asked, "Mother, what are you reading?"
"An agricultural book, about farming. It talks about how to grow rice, wheat, peas, sorghum, and even fruits like pomegranates, grapes, and lychees – all the things you like to eat."
"Wow, I want to read it too!"
"You can when you learn to read. For now, I can read it to you," Chu Yin settled Lu Zuan on a chair beside her, "Listen carefully."
She began reading the agricultural book to them.
Unnoticed, the time passed, and it was soon midday.
Upon seeing Lu Jingzhao, Chu Yin greeted him with a smile.
Her smile was like the radiant sun, brightening his mood as well.
"Your Highness, I have something to discuss with you," she said, pulling at his sleeve.
Her action was coquettish, yet she still referred to herself as 'your concubine.' Lu Jingzhao was slightly puzzled but maintained a composed expression, "What is it?"
"You promised Zuan that you would take him horse riding, remember?"
"Yes."
"It's been several days, and Zuan is upset. He adores you so much, how can you bear to let him down?"
"......"
She made it sound as if he had neglected his son for a long time.
But since Chu Yin brought it up, he couldn't ignore it.
"Tomorrow, then."
"Good, I was planning to practice horse riding tomorrow too. We can go together."
He still remembered the racecourse incident.
How would Chu Yin react this time, going there with him?
Intrigued, Lu Jingzhao then instructed Dong Ling to make arrangements.
With the Double Ninth Festival approaching, Princess Baocheng bought a suitable brocade robe for Jiang Yuyuan.
"You'll go with Lin'er and Min'er. With some makeup, no one will recognize you," she advised her niece, "Yuyuan, I've told my brother everything. This is the last time. Be obedient, choose carefully, and marry while you're still young... If it doesn't work out this time, I really won't interfere anymore!"
Jiang Yuyuan responded tearfully, "Aunt, I was wrong before, making you worry for so long. I'll listen to you this time and won't let you down."
Had she finally come to her senses?
Princess Baocheng was greatly relieved, "Good, good, I'll also help you keep an eye out."
After a while of self-reproach, demonstrating her remorse and winning Princess Baocheng's trust, Jiang Yuyuan went to find Jiang Xian.
"Auntie won't suspect me now, Uncle, have you arranged everything?"
Jiang Xian glanced out the window, speaking indifferently, "What can I arrange? You have to handle this yourself."
Jiang Yuyuan was startled, "How can I manage alone? You don't know, the Crown Prince is already wary of me," she knelt down, "Uncle, you promised earlier, why are you backing out now? Auntie has even persuaded the Emperor to go to Tushan."
"I agreed to help you, but I won't arrange manpower. And remember this!" Jiang Xian's expression was stern, "If things go wrong, it's all on you. If you dare mention my name, well, I'll show you what regret means."
"I understand, Uncle. I swear I won't drag you down!" What's the use of implicating someone else if I fail?
Pleased with her response, Jiang Xian pulled out an object from his sleeve and handed it to her, "Tomorrow when you go out to buy rouge, it's all written here. But ensnaring that man shouldn't be difficult; he's a lecherous sort. He'll be at Tushan tomorrow... whether you can clear yourself afterwards depends on him."
Jiang Yuyuan had a vague idea of what it was, her face changing slightly.
"It's not too late to back out," Jiang Xian straightened his sleeve, "Just like your aunt said, find a suitable husband and marry. Let's forget this ever happened."
The room fell silent for a moment, then Jiang Yuyuan, gripping the object tightly, declared, "No, I've made up my mind."
..................
Since she was taking the two children to the racecourse in the afternoon, Chu Yin had arranged for them to eat at the main hall at noon.
Seeing their father, Lu Zuan dashed over swiftly, with Xiao Dou following behind, worried he might fall.
He plunged into his father's arms, "Father, are you really taking Zuan to ride a horse?"
The child was so excited that his nose began to run. Lu Jingzhao took out a handkerchief to wipe it, "Yes, we'll go soon."
"Yay, yay, Zuan always rides the wooden horse, never a real one. I'm going to ride one soon!"
Is riding a horse really that exciting?
In his youth, he was not like this at all. Lu Jingzhao lifted his son, "After you ride, you'll realize it's nothing extraordinary."
Children don't think that way. Chu Yin commented, "To him, being able to ride is extraordinary."
"......"
Lu Jingzhao looked at his daughter, "Does Zhen want to ride?"
"No, I want to watch brother ride."
Lu Jingzhao then fell silent.
Chu Yin thought, won't he ask her?
She had never ridden with Lu Jingzhao either. Why didn't he remember? But she didn't want to act coquettishly about this.
Lu Jingzhao's reluctance to teach her horse riding still bothered her. She would wait for him to offer, knowing she could learn from Yu Sizhang if necessary.
The palace maids gradually brought in the dishes.
His last memory of the family eating together was three months ago. Lu Jingzhao vividly remembered the day Chu Yin visited him at Chunhui Pavilion. Her behavior since then had been strange, leading to his misunderstanding.
Looking back, it all seemed absurd.
He had misunderstood for so long.
Suddenly, his sleeve was tugged, and he heard Chu Yin's voice, "Your Highness, today's fried green fish looks very appetizing."
He came back to reality, casting her a glance.
She boldly requested, "Your Highness, please feed me."
"......"
"Can't you?" She pouted her lips, "Your Highness promised to accommodate me."
"......"
He must have been confused yesterday; he hadn't expected she would want to be fed during meals.
Lu Jingzhao was silent for a moment before using chopsticks to pick up a piece of fish for her.
This part of the fish was nearly boneless, and any small bones had been fried to a crisp.
Chu Yin opened her mouth, revealing her pearly teeth.
The redness of her lips and the whiteness of her teeth reminded him of how her lips looked swollen after being kissed.
Nevertheless, he had no intention of feeding her a second piece.
However, Chu Yin didn't give him the chance to refuse, content with just being fed once.
The children, having seen this, exclaimed, "I want Daddy to feed me too!"
"Daddy, I want to eat duck, I want egg dumplings!"
Lu Jingzhao turned his head towards the instigator.
Chu Yin coughed lightly, "Mommy will feed you... Daddy is sitting too far, it's inconvenient. Let Daddy feed you next time."
The father's face slightly darkened, sitting up straight and imposing, and both Lu Zuan and Lu Zhen shrank back, no longer daring to call out.
Chu Yin patiently asked the children what they wanted to eat, rolling up her sleeves to feed them herself, reminding them to chew slowly and thoroughly.
She carefully blew on the soup before feeding it to them, fearful of scalding their mouths.
Lu Jingzhao observed all of this.
Having fed Chu Yin earlier, he reasoned that if they were to experience being an ordinary couple, shouldn't the wife also feed the husband?
Isn't it customary for a wife to feed her husband as well?
Despite his questioning, he chose not to voice it.
After resting for half an hour following the meal, the family of four set off for the racecourse.
Chu Yin had changed into a red riding outfit.
The collar and cuffs were adorned with golden and silver plum blossom embroidery, shimmering elegantly.
Her soft back rested against the carriage seat, her neck leaning back, her chest accentuated by the tight riding outfit, drawing his attention despite his efforts.
Noticing his gaze, Chu Yin turned her head and smiled at him, shifting slightly to the right.
Her cheek brushed against his shoulder as she suggested, "Although Zhen said no, Your Highness, maybe take her for a ride too. She might change her mind tomorrow. Children are unpredictable, and it'll save you from having to spare half a day again."
Glancing at his wife, who seemed so dependent on him, Lu Jingzhao agreed.
Lu Zhen, understanding their conversation, hesitated, "I have to ride too? I'm scared."
"Don't be afraid, Daddy will hold you," Chu Yin reassured her, gently patting her head, "Daddy's riding skills are excellent, and his horse is beautiful. You'll love it once you see it."
Lu Jingzhao's eyes and brows softened.
Lu Zhen responded with an "Oh," "Alright, then I'll ride with Daddy for a bit."
They quickly arrived at the racecourse.
The horses for both of them had already been brought by the stable attendants and were leisurely strolling around the field.
Chu Yin took Lu Jingzhao's hand, "Let's go, Your Highness!"
Qi Niang and Xiao Dou followed, each carrying one of the little masters.
Her hand, which hadn't taken the initiative to hold his for a long time, was warm and soft. She first held the back of his hand, but perhaps finding his hand too large and tiring to hold, slowly slid down to grasp four of his fingers, gently swaying them.
His heart fluttered inexplicably, like grass swaying in the wind.
Had it not been for the dissolution of their misunderstanding, he would have thought Chu Yin was trying to entice him again.
But even without the desire for children, wasn't this action still somewhat seductive?
Lost in thought, her hand suddenly let go.
The sound of Yu Sizhang greeting them followed.
He turned his head to see Chu Yin not only not holding his hand anymore but also standing a foot away, resuming her elegant and dignified stance as the Crown Princess.
It was as if the person who had just been playfully holding his fingers wasn't her.
Lu Jingzhao: "......"