ꨄ︎ 14.

"Tryna get back to all my old ways.
Tryna get back to all the hobbies from my old days.
Tryna forget all the unnecessary,
thoughts from my head, man, it was pretty scary."
Piece Of Mind | Kehlani

Friday morning
ꨄ︎ | 9:32 am

It was finally the day Grey was anxiously waiting for and he had just got the update from his lawyer on his case. It was everything he was dreading to hear and his options were looking very slim. Grey could either fight the case and prolong the situation, having the entire ends and outs of his finances under scrutiny by the FBI or he could simply go away for a few years and hopefully with good behavior, get out early.

Grey was at a crossroads and didn't know which direction was the best route. Going away now when there was so much on his plate didn't seem wise, especially with Indie still wreaking havoc on Blanche. Grey could sense how fragile her mind state was and knew she was putting on acting pretending like it wasn't, but he heard her cries late at night. With the way they'd been codependent on each other, Grey didn't want his going away to make her healing process even worse for her. He was with her through all those late, long, and painful nights. Many nights both of them succumbed to the pain of losing their child. Plus being away from his flesh and blood for two years seemed like an impossible task. Grey hasn't spent more than a few days away from her since the day she was born. He would have to miss out on milestones with his daughter that he wouldn't be able to get back and with the possibility of another child's life he was missing out on, Grey was feeling stuck.

Running his hand over his face and exhaling loudly, Grey took a seat on the edge of the bed. The shower water running could be heard as Blanche occupied herself in the bathroom. He didn't know how Blanche would react to the news, but Grey knew he had to hear her. He was already withholding enough from Blanche as it was.

"What's wrong?" Blanche questioned entering the room and sensing his energy. Grey glanced up, not noticing the shower water had turned off.

"Come here, ma." Grey commanded, patting his leg. Blanche sauntered over to him, adjusting the towel around her before making herself comfortable on his lap.

"I just got the call from my lawyer."

"What did he say?"

Grey sighed, massaging her neck. "It's not looking too good, B."

"How many years?" Blanche questioned softly as her stomach dropped in anticipation of his next words.

"Twenty." Grey defeatingly replied as the tears began to burn in the corner of Blanche's eyes. The thought of Grey even going away for a few hours devastated her. She couldn't even imagine doing twenty years without him. He was the reason why she hadn't gone over the edge yet.

"You're lying?" She asked above a whisper, not wanting to believe his words.

"Nah ma." Grey said as the tears slid slowly down her face. Grey swiped them away before wrapping his arm around his waist tighter and resting his forehead against her.

"I'm gonna handle that nigga before I go away, ma. That's on my life." He stated reassuringly.

"I know, Grey." She replied through small sniffles.

"It's gonna be alright. I promise we gon get through this." It was a heartbreaking moment for both of them. Twenty years was a whole lifetime and they both would be two different people by the end of it, but Blanche would ride it out. If there was anyone worth doing it for, it would be Grey. She wouldn't let prison be the thing that separated them.