XVIII - a Rosier to be

.·:*¨¨* ≈☆≈ *¨¨*:·.

"Please forgive me, Miss!" Danica's house elf, Smudgy bowed in apology for poking her head with a hairpin too hard.

"Please, don't do this Smudgy." Danica gently caressed the elf's, her only friend in this wretched house, head. "You know I would never be mad at you. Thank you for your work."

Smudgy's huge eyes filled with tears.

"Young Miss is so kind." she whimpered. "Is my work to your liking?"

Danica looked in the mirror. Undoubtedly, it's the most beautiful she's ever been. Her hair was daintily pinned up in gentle waves and her makeup was soft, demure like a spring flower. She never wore bad clothes, still, it was the most expensive dress in her life.

For once, the dress she was given wasn't high-neck. But it was still green.

Yards of expensive oriental fabrics were draped along her body. There wasn't an inch that hadn't been embroidered with golden thread or embellished with rare jewels. But, despite the heavy decorations, the dress was light, flowing like a soft waterfall. Her long satin gloves matched the golden elements. Although, the most prominent part of her appearance was a large emerald necklace around her neck.

She looked like royalty.

"It's beautiful." Danica said to Smudgy softly, still admiring her appearance in the mirror. She picked up a small crystal bottle and pumped a few spritzes of perfume on her neck.

Now, she was ready to be sold.

"Danica!" Her bedroom doors burst open. Rodolphus stomped inside and headed straight toward Danica, kicking Smudgy aside on his way.

"Brothe-" Fear gripped Danica as her brother's furious gaze landed on her, his hand shooting out to grab her cheeks. His rings dug into her skin, forcing her eyes to water and her back to press against the edge of the dressing table.

"You thought you could ignore my word, you insolent wretch?!" He shouted at her like a wild animal.

"I didn't do anything." Danica managed to choke out, her jaw throbbing from the force of his grip.

Rodolphus's face contorted with fury, his grip tightening before he shoved her to the ground. Pain shot through her knees as they hit the floor with a sickening thud.

"You think you can lie to me now?" he said in a dangerously calm voice. "What a pathetic idiot you are."

He resembled a demon, and Danica, paralyzed by fear, remained on the old carpet, unable to even contemplate standing.

"That German is another topic in itself, but then I hear about you coming up to humiliate the sons of Mulciber and Avery, and on top of that your two cousins. And finally, you proceed to act like a traitor." he cruelly laughed. "Tell me, sister, are you a traitor?"

"No! I-I would never!" Her words were choked with tears and fear.

"Then why did I get news of your 'conversations' with the Black traitor boy, Sirius?"

Defeated, she lowered her head. There was no use in defending herself. He would always find a reason to punish her. Tearfully, she looked up again, desperation in her eyes.

"Who told you everything?" she said in barely a whisper.

"I did, sister." A sweet voice appeared behind Rogolphus, and in a few more steps, appeared the messenger. Danica's heart finally shattered into a million pieces.