XXIV - Seòmar Àlainn

.·:*¨¨* ≈☆≈ *¨¨*:·.

"I had a thought..."

"Merlin, not again." Regulus shook his head in exasperation.

"Don't Merlin me, it's completely valid." Danica insisted.

They descended the  stone stairs that led into Hogsmeade. Students rushed past them, excited to start their weekend in the village, prompting Danica and Regulus to quiet their conversations down so as not to be heard. The weather in early May was pleasant, with a gentle breeze and the sun casting a warm golden light over everything, drawing the crowds outside.

"Fine, I apologize. What is it?" Regulus sighed with resignation.

"Since I am now 16, and you are 4 months younger than me..." she trailed off before looking back into his eyes, sporting a shit-eating grin, "am I technically taking advantage of you?"

"Oh, for fuck's sake, Danica." Regulus groaned, rubbing his temple.

"I'm just saying... I had a completely valid question."

Beyond the rusty, crooked gates, Hogsmeade was alive. Laughter and chatter filled the air, blending with the ring of shop bells and street vendors calling out to any passerby customer.

Subconsciously, Danica began taking deeper breaths as they passed by Honedukes, trying to catch another whiff of the freshly candied apples. Regulus's eyes, on the other hand, were drawn towards Scrivenshaft's Quill shop's annual scam. A sale apparently, but in reality, everything else in the shop got priced up to make up the comparison.

"I know what you're thinking," Danica rolled her eyes. "You already have 6 fountain pens and a dozen quills."

"I don't have a dozen," scoffed Regulus. "I only have 9."

"Whatever makes you sleep better at night."

His strange obsession with fancy stationery was beyond her, not that she really minded. Although, she did feel bad for him getting ripped off.

As they navigated through the busy crowds, a sudden gust of wind blew into Danica's face, sending her hair flying and causing her to squint.

"Shit," she muttered, struggling to pull some loose strands out of her vision.

"Having trouble?" he glanced back.

"Just a bit," she finally managed to tuck away her hair into the back of her button-up shirt's collar. "I should've tied it up."

"Mhm," he hummed, nodding. Regulus stepped ahead, creating a path through the throng. Looking back, he extended his hand to Danica which she gladly took. "Dervish Lane, was it?" His firm grip on her hand helped her relax a little.

"Yeah," she said, "Fourth street to the left off the High Street. It's relatively small."

"Roger," he picked up his pace, navigating their way. Danica loved moments like this, moments when she could rely on him and relax her brain a little. Besides, she was more than happy to take her time to actually enjoy the walk.

Danica saw many familiar faces. All of which she could easily recognize, but whose names she didn't bother remembering. Perhaps it was for the best. This way she could freely enjoy observing them without bias.

How a first-year ran out of Honeydukes, clutching his brain-shaped popsicle and wincing with a painful brain freeze. Nearby, a few older students crowded around a street performer who conjured up tiny edible fireworks. She smelled ripe watermelons.

It was refreshing to see everyone enjoying their day, just as much as she enjoyed hers. In a way, it helped her feel a little less selfish.

She glanced up at Regulus's head, noticing how his hair had grown out a little longer. The dark strands almost touched his collar, and she felt a sudden urge to brush her hand through it. An idea that she quickly brushed off for now.