Chapter Two

Washington DC
September 2019

The month was a busy one for Theo Walton - Fisher. He was balancing his accounting business and his family responsibilities. And his family had increased by one when a few months ago he and Reed had adopted a beautiful three year old boy. Benji Fisher was adjusting well to his new home even considering he had witnessed the brutal murder of one of his mothers. While they still worked at their respective jobs their surrogate son Winnie Palmer watched his little adopted brother at their apartment. When Winnie was at his college classes ( he was currently studying fashion design this week) then Theo brought Benji to the office where his secretary Martha and even clients spoiled him rotten.

What was kicking it into high gear was that their close family friend Saint was running for DC mayor as a Democrat against the long time Republican mayor Julius Beauregard. In the beginning all of them had had their doubts about his winning even the primary. The mayor was that tough of a candidate to beat. Matt , Saint's husband, even told Theo that Saint himself had had doubts. But the public loved Saint from the start. He was like the perfect candidate really with his eager youth ( he was only in his thirties) , his easy Georgia accent which he hadn't lost even while living in New York City and now DC , his wavy blond hair, his twinkling blue eyes, his progressive ideals , his and Matt's adorable nine month old baby girl and more importantly Matt himself. Matt was quickly becoming the face of the campaign with his ever messy red curly hair, mischievous green eyes and playfulness. He was Saint's biggest cheerleader; in fact he had actually gotten a pair of rainbow pom poms for the weekly city wide pep rallies the campaign threw. The public loved Matt and Saint and Livvie. They were like a breath of fresh air compared to the Beauregards. The weekly rallies were becoming quite well loved events with can good food  also being collected up for the poor and needy in the community. They were steadily becoming the LGBTQA version of Jack and Jackie Kennedy. The public had fallen in love with the couple as well as Saint's progressive views on education , health care and home rule while the right wing voters were appreciative of his support for the second amendment being a responsible gun owner.

They had been thrilled when Saint had won the democratic nomination in the primary even though that meant the campaign was now in even faster mode. Most nights after work he and Reed headed to Saint's campaign office in Dupont Circle to help work the phones and stuff envelopes with direct mail fliers with Saint and Matt's smiling young faces , donation requests etc and Winnie babysat both Benji and Livvie at Theo and Reed's. Theo was even doing his share of volunteer work and door knocking during the day. It was a god send that Theo had taken on a helper of a sort at the office : an accounting intern from George Washington University Scott Reynolds. Scott's assistance in the office was being so invaluable that Theo had even asked Scott to stay on as a regular employee after the internship ended and he graduated. For some reason Reed was opposed to that idea. He had taken an offense to Scott although Scott  was nothing but polite to Reed whenever he came to the office. Theo had asked Reed about his dislike and Reed had just said he didn't like how Scott looked at Theo.