Chapter Four

( Texts )

Theo : Charles! I need to know everything you know about the mayor. And his campaign manager B.J. Baldwin. I kinda need it fast too.

Charles: Why would you be needing this information? Oh dear gods and goddesses, you are not playing puny Sherlock Holmes again are you? You are aware that the last time you got all nosy you almost ended up a badly dressed corpse in Vanessa Clyde's office? I thought Reed had banned your amusing but dangerous hobby.

Theo: It's not a hobby. It's not an anything. And Reed doesn't ban me from doing anything. I'm a grown man. Grown men don't get banned.

Charles: No. They just get put out on the sofa by their long suffering husband. And spend the entire time whining about it in texts to me. If you want my invaluable assistance you had better tell me why. And fast. My latest client is due in shortly. She can be a bitch about waiting. I hate Oscar winners.

Theo : You hate all your clients. But you love their large payments.

Charles: When the checks clear yes I do. Talk , dear boy. What are you into? Another Dancing Theo video?

Theo : Nothing ! I've not got myself into anything. I'm just helping out a friend. Two friends. Matt and Saint.

Charles: That tasty southern doctor and his twink husband. The southern doctor that wants to remake the city into a socialist paradise. Of course. I'm just now seeing that Reign article on them. That picture is just awful. It's obviously not him. But people will believe it. People can be very ignorant about observing.

Theo : It is a lie designed to hurt them. They are as faithful as me and Reed. Spread that around in your varied circles , why don't you? His past is his business. But Matt is devastated. He thinks he ruined Saint's campaign.

Charles: He may have. In fact he probably has. The good doctor's poll numbers are slipping. Not a lot but enough to hurt. Pity. He's a breath of fresh air this very stodgy city needs. Julius is a viper. Look , dear boy, give me time to gather my memories and my sources. I shall telephone you later. This requires more than a few text messages. And , Theodore? Try not to attract gunmen this time around.

Theo : I'll do my best.  Thanks, Charles.