Chapter Sixteen

Saint sat next to the hospital bed , watching as his husband fitfully slept. Matt looked to be in torment, his cheeks stained still with the evidence of tears.

" You're right about me ," Matt whispered. " I'm no good. I'm trash. You're right, Judge. "

Saint felt angry as hell. He was as bad as his damn father. He knew how fragile Matt could be. Sure he had gotten stronger but he was still so frail in a lot of ways. He had no business running for office. He felt like texting his campaign manager that he was suspending his run but he knew it wouldn't do any good.

Too little too late.

This whole thing was spiraling out of control and it was destroying the most important person in his life.

He did this. Him. He did this to Matt. He put his stupid ego first and look what had happened.

Well no more, he thought coldly. No more.

Matt was not talking to any police. Even with a lawyer. If they wanted to talk to him they better get a damn warrant. And have better evidence than this ridiculous shit.

He knew Beauregard was behind this.

It was time to stop being honorable.

His blue eyes shone with steely ice as he called Lindsey.

" What's going on , Saint? ," Lindsey said sharply. " This whole thing is spiraling right now. Your polls are disaster. The media is turning against you both. I know you want to be with Matt but we need to meet for damage control. "

" No. What we need to do is start fighting back. Beauregard wants to go after my family. Let's get his family. "

Lindsey said almost gleefully," Now you sound like a politician. About time. "

" This is war. Get this bastard. "

Matt moaned and mumbled as he slept.

                 ---------

              ( Texts )

Charles: You're in luck , dear boy. You and Reed have a brunch meeting planned for tomorrow afternoon with B.J. Baldwin. He actually seems eager to meet you.

Theo : Not as eager as I am to meet him.

                    -------------

              Breaking News

We have received a report that Mayor Beauregard's wife Janice is admitted to a drug and alcohol treatment center in New Hampshire and not on a missionary trip to Uganda as the campaign originally said. When asked about this report Beauregard campaign manager B.J. Baldwin said No Comment.

                    --------------

Saint called his lawyer next. " I want the police to stop harassing my husband. If they think he did this they better prove it. Which they can't. Tell them this. He's not talking to them. He's not talking to the media. I won't allow it. "