Chapter Twelve

It was three days after the mysterious break in and Matt Malone St. Austin was just plain exhausted. For the first time ever he left work at the cafe early in spite of the head chef screaming at him in disgust and disdain. He didn't care. He was so tired he could barely stand. Saint was pulling a shift at the hospital before heading to the campaign office and Livvie was being baby sat along with Benji by Winnie so there was nothing to prevent him from going home and taking a nap. A long nap and maybe a nice warm relaxing bath. Then once he was refreshed maybe he would head out to replace his ID and buy a new tote bag. That was still nagging him. Why would anyone break in to steal those two things and Saint's gun ? Maybe the gun. That could be sold on street. Saint was not happy that his gun was in the wrong hands and was thinking of getting them security until the election was over.

But it looked like a nap was not in his future, Matt thought as he saw two unfamiliar people standing before his condo door.  A uniformed cop and a tall stocky light skinned Black woman in the ugliest beige pantsuit he  had ever seen in his life. Even Theo had better taste in clothes. Ok just barely but still.

" May I help you? ," he asked with suspicion edging his usually perky voice. He hated cops. Cops were the only people he hated. He suddenly felt like he was back in New York out running one of them. Getting slammed against brick walls and beaten because he was what he was. Feeling cold steel around his wrists. Maybe he should call Saint or Reed or Theo. He wished he wasn't alone. He felt vulnerable. He hated feeling vulnerable.

The woman smiled coldly at him. She flashed a gold detective shield at him, saying bluntly," Lieutenant Meg Rhodes. MPD. Homicide. "

What ?

Homicide?

All of a sudden he felt weak. He was dizzy and thought he was going to pass out. Why was homicide here ? Was Saint ok ? Oh my God..... Livvie...... Was his family ok ?

" Is my family ok ? ," he asked in a small voice, his face turning pale. Please. Please. Let them be ok. Saint..... Livvie.....

Rhodes looked hard at him with suspicion in her eyes. " To my knowledge your family is fine. I was wondering if you would come down to the station with us for a little chat ?"

From the abrupt tone of her voice he didn't think he had a real choice in the matter.

" Why ? Is this about the robbery? "

" Sir, I don't handle robberies. I'm homicide. I want to ask you about the murder of Philip Manley. "