Chapter Eleven

October 2019 

       Saint's campaign had picked up steam again. Thanks to Matt's interview on a local TV news show where he told his side of the story. As they had listened to their friend talking openly to the public about being homeless in New York Theo had been close to tears. In fact there was not a single dry eye in the entire studio that day. Saint had never been as proud of his husband as he was that day. After that not only did Saint's poll ratings go back up they skyrocketed up. He was literally almost ahead of the mayor now. 

Matt was starting to receive bag after bag of " fan " mail. Some nasty homophobic hate mail which Lindsey forwarded to the police department immediately. Most were actually very loving and supportive with some calling him a heroic role model.  Campaign donations had increased threefold. It was almost like the picture incident had never occurred although it was never far from Matt and Theo's minds. People magazine even featured Saint , Matt and Livvie on the most recent cover with the title " The New Face Of DC Royalty ". 

Charles had gotten back to Theo with information about the mayor and his inner circle. A lot of information. The Beauregard family , to the public , were a loving and devoted family but according to Charles and his " sources " they were far from it. The mayor's current wife Janice  had stopped attending campaign functions and the campaign claimed it was because she was doing missionary work in Africa but Charles said she was really in an expensive rehab clinic under a fake name and fighting an addiction to alcohol and cocaine. Their divorce was not called off , Charles said , but merely paused until further notice. The mayor wasn't really the big gruff Santa figure he represented to the public but actually a very paranoid and suspicious man prone to shouting and temper tantrums who had to win at all costs. Apparently he had secret " enemy " lists. And the campaign manager B.J. Baldwin was his biggest supporter since their growing up days in Louisiana. The two men had attended the same college and law school in DC and were each other's best men at their respective weddings. It was rumored B.J. was the real power behind the throne and was going to be appointed deputy mayor when - if - the mayor was reelected. Charles had been oddly undivalike when he warned Theo that Saint and Matt needed to watch their backs. 

And one day someone broke into Saint and Matt's Dupont Circle condo when they and the baby were out at a public event. Two things were stolen. Saint's gun. And that awful man purse of Matt's along with Matt's ID card.