Chapter 5: Handship of Baelon Targaryen

Two years had passed since the birth of Visenya, and during that time, his father and the entire family had lavished attention on the child. The exception was Daemon, who had spent most of those two years in the Vale at Runestone after his marriage to Rhea Royce, a match that both parties seemed to dislike, as he saw the looks on the wedding. Nevertheless, he and his father had often ridden together, sometimes visiting Dragonstone.

In the year 98 A.C., Septon Barth, a dutiful and perhaps the best Hand he had ever encountered, passed away peacefully in his sleep. Jaehaerys Targaryen appointed Ser Reymund Redwyne as Barth's successor, as the history books had suggested. The year and a half during which Ser Reymund served as Hand proved to be unsuccessful. It was also that year his grandmother died, and poor aunt Gael.

In the year 99 A.C., Queen Alysanne Targaryen died in her sleep in her chambers in the Red Keep. Many suspected the grief of losing so many children and poor Gael's passing finally put the Good Queen into her final rest.

Princess Geal was always sweet, and he loved his aunt, but she easily swayed. That year, the sweet Princess became known to the outside world by a summer feaver. Unfrotanly, that wasn't the case, and his aunt had become pregnant with a singers babe. Of which name shall not be spoken, as he surely is in one of the fourteen flames pits for what he has done to Gael by now. She didn't bring the babe to term, and during her miscarriage, she contracted childbed fever, passing away from it. It was a tragic end for his sweet aunt, who could have given the realm so much more love. If only given the chance.

The realm mourned the Good Queen Alysanne and sweet Princess Gael, and the entire family mourned their losses, with Vhagar and Balerion lighting her funeral pyre. He had also exchanged many letters with his uncle and other grandfather, discussing various matters, including constructing his keep in the North, which was to be constructed in Sea Dragons Point. It was already agreed that he would, on his tenth nameday, travel to Winterfell for a wardship that would last four years. There, he hoped to gain knowledge and use Balerion to further his understanding of Valyrian architecture, a place remote without prying eyes to watch his every move.

As the year 100 A.C. approached, Jaehaerys Targaryen announced that his father, Crown Prince Baelon of Dragonstone, would replace Ser Reymund Redwyne. Along with this announcement, a tournament and a royal hunt were planned to celebrate the prince's new title.

A page out of the Journal of Aemon Targaryen The White Dragon

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aemon Targaryen 100 A.C. Tower of the Hand

"So, Grandfather has announced your appointment to the realm," he asked his father in the tower of the Hand.

"Yes, a tourney and a royal hunt will be held," his father replied, smiling at the seven-year-old boy. "How is your sister, Aemon? Is she already walking around like you?"

"She's doing alright. She has been walking, and most times, she doesn't fall. Rhaenyra, though, has been begging me for a ride with Balerion almost every day," he said with a chuckle.

"Please don't let that little girl pull you off, Aemon, or your brother and good-sister will have your hide."

"Yes, I know. Aemma has warned me repeatedly," he said with another chuckle. "So, are you excited to see Laena again? I've heard she will join her mother and father for the celebration."

His father's tone turned icy when speaking of Rhaenys and Coryls, as the succession of the throne was always a sore point for the family. He had been betrothed to Laena from the moment of her birth, a move made by his grandmother to foster unity in the family. However, Coryls had left his post as Master of Ships after Baelon was named heir instead of Rhaenys, the eldest child of his namesake.