Chapter 28 : Love and Duty

Laena Velaryon Targaryen (108 A.C. Seventh Moon)

Stepstones

The wind whipped through her hair as she soared above the Narrow Sea, having made a brief stop at Storm's End to visit her uncle, whom she hadn't seen in far too long. Boros, her cousin, had returned from the war, and together, they shared harrowing tales of the siege of Little Tyrosh. Aemon's bravery in rescuing her little brother stood out vividly against the backdrop of their conversation. It seemed the reality of war was far more perilous than the sanitized versions conveyed in the letters sent to High Tide.

As she neared her reunion with Aemon, her heart fluttered with warmth and anticipation. Even Vhagar, her dragon companion, seemed to sense her excitement. Vhagar's mood remarkedly improved as they approached their destination. The first isles of the Narrow Sea came into view, its barren wind-shaped landscape offering little refuge save for the stronghold of the Crabfeeder to the East.

An hour later, the Isle of Little Tyrosh emerged beneath them, its skyline dominated by the unmistakable silhouette of Balerion, the black behemoth of a dragon. She couldn't help but marvel at the creature's immense size, wondering if it had grown even larger since her last encounter. As Balerion drew nearer, emitting a joyful shriek, Vhagar responded in kind, the reunion of mates echoing the anticipation thrumming within her own heart.

"Aemon!" she cried out as she spotted him perched atop Balerion's formidable back. "Laena, my love, you're a welcome sight," he replied, his voice carrying across the expanse between them.

After landing in the city's main square, they were met with awe from the onlookers, who marveled at the sight of two dragonlords of Old Valyria gracing their midst. It wasn't wrong; Vhagar was most likely the second-largest being in the world right now after Balerion. Little Tyrosh now held two of them. Her thoughts were broken when she was enveloped in Aemon's embrace, his eagerness palpable as he kissed her with a fervor she had sorely missed.

"I've missed you, Laena," Aemon confessed, his words tinged with longing. "The campaign has been lonely without you and Rhaenyra at my side." Their hunger for each other was evident as they shared another passionate kiss, their desire reignited by the proximity of their reunion.

As they made their way towards their quarters in the Citadel, Balerion and Vhagar took to the skies, seeking their own private respite. "I suppose they desire some privacy as well. I suppose Vhagar will be returning with your stuff," Aemon remarked, casting a glance toward the soaring dragons. "And so do we," she replied with a coy smile, her hand entwined with his as they ascended the stairs.

"But first, I suspect your father and brother will want a word," Aemon said as he led her upstairs into the halls of the Citadel of Little Tyrosh. After a short walk, they arrived in the war room, where her father sat in a chair, looking at the maps of the Stepstones.

"Ah, daughter, you're a welcome sight," her father said as he rose and hugged her. "I hope the flight wasn't too rough?"

"No, father, all was well. Vhagar carried me more than fine on her back," she said with a smile.

"Well, I had my reservations, but now they are gone. A year later, and you've grown into a strong woman. It reminds me a lot of your mother at that age. A strong dragon rider with a steadfast heart. Your brother has the same," he exclaimed as he held her hand.

"Yes, although I think we will soon see what kind of metal my wife is made of. Where is Laenor? I thought he was here too, planning the blockade?" Aemon said, looking at her father.

"He is with my brother. He will join him on the eastern line, and they are inspecting the ship they will sail on. Had he known you were coming, he would have stayed, but I guess with Vhagar's arrival, he will show his head soon enough," her father answered.