Chapter 15: Embers of Despair

Aemon Targaryen (106 A.C. Nineth Moon)

Kingslanding – Baelon's Nursery

He walked into the chamber. His little nephew lay in Rhaenyra's arms, and his breath was so weak. "Rhae? How is little Baelon holding up?" he asked, sitting beside her on the bed and putting an arm around her.

"He still struggles. I hope he lives. Muna gave up her life for him. I don't want to lose more family," Rhaenyra said as she sobbed into his chest. 'He would protect his niece and nephew, which was one of the last things her mother had asked him. He would do so.' As he thought back on Aemma's last request.

"Well, he looks like her, as do you. He has her eyes," he said, stroking her back.

'As he looked at Baelon, his eyes open, he seemed so innocent, much like all the babies he had held. He asked Balerion if something could be done, but the dragon had not been helpful, mentioning that Lord Boremund Baratheon had the same ailment. They had one thing in common: like Aemma, the lady Alyssa had died while giving birth to Boremund. Boremund had caught a cough but recovered; however, not all babes recovered. He had asked if a dragon bond could heal the babe, as it had Balerion, but that was different.

Still, he had brought in the hatchling that he had brought to Kings Landing, hoping that a dragon bonded with the young dragon might help strengthen Baelon's recovery. The little grey dragon with black streaks cuddled beside Baelon in his cradle when he placed it down. The dragon was as large as a small dog now.' He thought as he looked at both of them together. A Targaryen and a dragon were the same as a Stark with a wolf; they just fit.

"I suppose he does. His breathing sounds so weak. He doesn't sleep much and coughs a lot," Rhaenyra admitted. 'It was true; he had slept in the chamber with Rhaenyra to look after the babe. Baelon had a cough for an hour on end sometimes. Patting his back helped sometimes, but he looked at the babe, who had not gained weight but lost it. He ate milk from his wet nurse, but the lack of sleep and energy from the coughing seemed to weaken him.' He thought somberly.

The past two days of Baelon's life were a heavy burden for Rhaenyra and him. They stayed with the babe, Baelon, constantly tending to him. The maester administered potions to Baelon, he and his scribtor's thoroughly checking it beforehand to ensure it contained no poison. He even consulted one of his scribtors in a desperate search for help.

In a private moment, one scribtor revealed a distressing truth: Aemma could have been saved. There was a procedure, but it required sacrificing the babe. Even then, there was no guarantee Aemma would have survived, and she would likely have been rendered barren. During their training, the maesters knew of this option, as Arch-scribetor Dussard had informed them. This revelation crushed me, and I resolved to discuss it with the King. I also suspected Melos, in league with the Hightowers, was beginning to make their move for the throne. Why else not also give that option?

As I sat with Rhaenyra, my thoughts wandered. I held Baelon at times while Rhaenyra lay in bed, cradling his little nephew and praying to the gods for his recovery. Anger simmered when I thought of my brother during that time, who never showed up. I had gone to his chambers, but Ser Ryam had denied me entry. I must confront my brother about this. He should have been here, not hiding away. Though I love him, his tendency to bury his head in the sand during times of adversity is maddening.

I was with Rhaenyra when it happened. I held Baelon in my arms when the babe simply stopped breathing. In that moment, my heart broke. Rhaenyra and I clung to each other, weeping, with little Baelon between us.