Chapter 33: Bloodstone

Corlys Velaryon (Sixth Moon)

The Seadrake Aemon's ship near Bloodstone.

Bloodstone, the hold of the Crabfeeder, would finally fall after two years of war. "You feel the end too," Aemon's voice was low, yet the longing to end this war was evident.

"Yes, it will be difficult. They have been weakening, the bloated crops in the sea speak to their failures to gain enough food. Yet it is a formidable base. No wonder these brigands chose it for their main operations. The fort doesn't have walls like Wreckstone did, only caverns, a gate in front of a sandy beach, and coves where they have harbored their ships, not accessible for our dragons. A direct assault would bleed us, and the men feel the end, so not many will be willing to start one."

"You speak true, yet what if we lure them out? Make them come onto the sandy beach. If we were able to attack them and if the dragons were of use?" He rubbed his chin at Aemon's words.

"We could still starve them out further," Aemon responded. He looked back to see Simon Redwyne, the second son of Lord Corbin Redwyne, among the rest of the commanders. "True, yet we have to maintain a constant blockade around Bloodstone itself, preventing them from fishing. But I question if that is wise. During my scouting mission, I discovered hidden openings where they bring out mobile catapults and scorpions. The ships would be sitting ducks to them, not even Balerion can be on patrol the entire time. Also, if we withdraw forces from the blockade for too long, as well as the threat of the dragons, what would the Triarchy then do?" Aemon's voice questioned, receiving murmurs of agreement.

"True, my prince, you have spoken before of luring them out. But what or whom would be enough to make them come out?" Simon questioned. "I think I know what will be useful," Aemon's voice was low, fixed on the Bloodstone beach.

"Me," and all the commanders of the fleet looked up to their prince. "Your Grace, you can't! You are the heir to the Iron Throne. You can't go," Lord Edric Karstark said, his concern evident in his voice. "My prince, good-son, the love you bear my daughter, don't do it," he pleaded. "You can't protect your family if you die here, or the realm for that matter," he urged, trying to sway Aemon from this path.

"So, what would you have me do? Nothing? Well, please tell me who we can take Bloodstone with minimal losses and without losing the integrity of the blockade," Aemon gazed at the group of men, some two decades his senior, looking away. He thought of it too, what would also accomplish the same objective.

"Your grace, I asked to be let into Bloodstone. I infiltrated the fortress and opened the gates. After that, it will only be a battle inside," Ser Criston Cole spoke up. It could work; he had a dour look and could be mistaken for a sellsword, and Cole had the fighting capabilities.

"As much as I appreciate the idea and your courage, it is much the same. We could easily attack the beach, assault the gates, and break them open. Yet we would still need to go into Bloodstone itself. This is the base of their commander; it would be a bloodbath if we attack them that way," Aemon said, giving Criston a warm smile.

Balerion roared then, it was loud. Aemon had his eyes closed; he knew of their bond. "Fire and Blood. It will exhaust our dragons, but I know it will bring the rats out of the hole," Aemon's eyes glinted with power, and he began to explain the plan. Then he thought, soon they would speak of Crabfeeder's folly instead of Harren's Folly, or both.

"Send out a message for parley. Lord Corlys, hold up the flag of truce. I will give them a choice, and I'm curious to meet this Crabfeeder. He has given us much grief these past two years. Let's see if the man can be reasoned with before we turn Bloodstone into another Harrenhal," he nodded. "I shall set up the agreement for you."