Chapter 26: The Aftermath

Corlys Velaryon (108 A.C Thrid Moon)

Little Tyrosh – The Harbor

As Seasnake docked, he looked around at the destruction. At least one-third of the harbor was rubble. He saw where his son's dragon had crashed into the wall. Blood and dark ash were on it, but no dragon, so he still hoped his son lived. The rest around was rubble, and in front of it was an even greater crater in the previous stone paving. It was where Balerion had landed; he hoped it had protected his son. As he looked in front, molten stone and still-smoldering pieces of wood were in front of the crater. Balerion and Aemon had burned all that came and were in front of it.

"Bring out the captives; we will present them to the Prince. Also, bring the captured spoils," he ordered a command after he looked at his brother. "You have the command. I must find out what happened with my son." His brother nodded, "Good brother, find your son."

He walked through the streets and looked at the carnage. Soldiers had been butchered, and even other civilians had been killed. "In every man hides a beast," he muttered. As he walked, patrols of the army guarded the streets, most of them being of the Oathguard of Aemon. They had always been the most disciplined force in the army that set sail to the Stepstones.

As they arrived at the main square, it led directly to the citadel of Little Tyrosh. However, the main square was packed with soldiers from the army and also the people of the city itself, as well as slaves held in bondage. He saw Aemon standing proudly with Valyrian armor shining in the sun.

"Move aside for the Lord Admiral, Corlys Velaryon, Good-Father of Prince Aemon Targaryen," one of the oathguards who had escorted him and commanded in High Valyrian. However, you could hear the gruff northern voice in them.

As he looked at the citadel, he saw that it had a Valyrian design, with the Blackstone of the freehold at its base. Like many structures, the rest had a yellow coloring of sandstone. To the left in front was Balerion himself, lying down in peace. A small black pool of blood was on the left wing. As well as a couple of cauldrons above a fire. What was that for, he wondered. But as he walked closer to the front of the stairs, the other top commanders and, to his relief, his son waited. He wanted to rush to him and embrace him, but he held his emotions in check in front of the men.

He only walked up, "I'm glad you are okay, my son," as he patted him on the shoulder. His son looked somber. He just noticed he had not seen Seasmoke. 'Where his son's dragon was?' He wondered. "Where is Seasmoke?" He asked, Laenor. "Outside the walls, Balerion and Aemon saved us. A bolt hit his shoulder joint, shattering the bone. Balerion carried us outside the walls. He also broke the same wing when we fell into the city, crashing into walls," his son said with tears in his eyes. "He will recover. He is strong, just like his rider. You both were very brave," he said, looking his son in the eyes.

"Lord Corlys, it's good to see you hail. Any injuries?" Aemon questioned him. "No, my Prince, just shock and fear for my son and you. The smoke and dust made it difficult to see." He gave in answer. As he looked at Aemon, the man had a resigned face, accepting the carnage done. The rest of him was covered with ash and dust, making him look more fearsome. With those eyes of knowledge, a man so young shouldn't have. That wasn't the first time he had thought that.

"Well, yes, my brother here gave me much the same," Aemon patted Laenor on the shoulder and gave his son a warm smile. "How was the sea battle? I guess they didn't give much trouble." "No, not much; the ice certainly helped. No ships escaped, and the most prominent people have been captured. As well as large parts of the treasury, as you expected, they would take with them in their cowardly flight."

"Well, we will discuss a plan for the city soon enough and send a message out. Now, let's address the city, shall we," Aemon said with a smirk and walked further atop the stairs to speak to the city. He held a brass megaphone in his hand so that most of the people gathered could hear his words.