Chapter 19: Fallout of secrets

Alicent Hightower (107 A.C. First Moon)

Kingslanding - Goodswood

She hurriedly pursued her friend, a pang of hurt mirrored in her own heart. The revelation about Aemon's impending marriage to Rhaenyra had blindsided her, a secret she hadn't been a part of, neither Rhaenyra nor Aemon had told her about. The tears welled up, threatening to spill over. Fortunately, the discussion about Aemon was mercifully brief, sparing her from breaking down completely.

The savior of the moment arrived in the form of her future husband, publicly announcing their impending union to the council and onlookers present. She had deceived him the night before, strategically leaving traces of blood and coaxing him into sowing his seed, not inside or having laid with her at all, as he was drunk enough not to notice. However, the King believed he had claimed her maidenhead, but in reality, it would always be Aemon who had claimed it. In an act of love and kindness for her, she would hold with her forever.

"Rhaenyra, please, let me talk to you," she pleaded, desperate to mend the bonds of sisterhood. "Don't you betrayed me. When were you planning to tell me? If at all?" Rhaenyra shot back when they faced each other in front of the weirwood.

"Betrayed? You didn't tell me you were marrying Aemon," she retorted, her heartache palpable. "My father, your future husband, commanded me not to," Rhaenyra hissed in return.

"For your information, the king commanded me the same," she revealed, and a sob escaped Rhaenyra. The weight of their secrets and unspoken truths hung heavily in the air.

"Why? How did this happen? How long has it been going on? How long have you been seeing my father behind my back?" Rhaenyra demanded answers, each accusation piercing her.

Unable to reveal her father's coercion or even the duration of the clandestine affair, she faltered. "Nothing, huh? Well, my future queen, when you remember, you can tell me," Rhaenyra declared before storming away, leaving her alone in front of the weirwood to confront her decisions and mourn the friendship that seemed irreparably damaged.

"Alicent?" Aemon's voice sounded, a sad smile playing on his lips. "It was my brother you were talking about, wasn't it?" he asked sympathetically. She nodded, and he walked over, enfolding her in a comforting embrace.

"I'm sorry. I know you didn't want to lie. I was to speak of my marriage to Rhaenyra until agreements with Corlys were made," he confessed, kissing her forehead. Then, a question hung in the air. "Did you sleep with my brother?" Aemon asked. She shook her head, denouncing it.

"Well, that's a relief. We can still halt the marriage then," Aemon exclaimed, surprising her. "What? Aemon, it can't be. He believes we did," she sobbed into his chest.

"Why?" he asked, furrowing his brow. As she explained the intricacies of the deceptive plan, he listened attentively. Telling her she couldn't do it as he was too much in her mind. Also, she wasn't ready. "I'm sorry. I wish it could have been different. So you could have a say in your life. You did your duty to your family. I can't fault you for something I have done for as long as I can remember. Just remember, Alicent, you're to become my good-sister, family. If you need a friend or help, know that you can come to me. Just like I said two days ago," he assured her with a kiss on her forehead before leaving her. As he departed, he added, "I'll go and see what I can do for Rhaenyra. Perhaps it'll help her see things she didn't before."

Rhaenyra Targaryen (107 A.C. First Moon)

Kingslanding - Rhaenyra's chambers

'Oh, that traitorous bitch,' she thought, recalling the conversation in the sept as the anger burn hot inside her. "What if your father were to remarry?" She quouted loudly to herself as she was sitting in front of her bed sobbing.