Chapter 14: Tourney of Heirs and Love.

Alicent Hightower (106 A.C. Nineth Moon)

Kingslanding - The Tourney grounds

She stood waiting next to Laenor, Laena, Visenya, and Rickon and awaited Rhaenyra and Aemon's arrival. They were late. Of course, they were late. If someone could make Aemon late for something, it was her. But her attention was pulled away from her missing friends as the King began to speak.

"People of King's Landing and Westeros, be welcome to the Games of Love and Heirship. In honor of my soon-to-be-born heir and my brother, Prince Aemon of Seadragon Point, and his marriage to Lady Laena Velaryon," the King spoke, and applause resounded throughout the entire jousting arena.

"I know many of you have traveled long distances to be at these games, but I promise you will not be disappointed. When I look at the fine knights on these lists, I see a group without equal in our histories." It was true that many had come, but she doubted it would be as great as the one at the Golden Wedding.

"And this great day has been made more auspicious," then she saw Rhaenyra quickly walking past her, but Aemon was nowhere to be seen. "By the news, I'm happy to announce Queen Aemma has begun her labors. May the luck of the Seven shine upon all combatants!" The King ended, and the arena erupted in applause, as did the people in the pulvinus.

"Where is Aemon?" she asked Rhaenyra, and Rhaenyra gave her a broad smile and answered, "You will see." What had they planned now? Damn, those two sometimes. Then, the first horse clashed as a knight of the House of Cole threw the Tarly knight off his horse. 'Being the Hand's daughter helped a lot, as she had seen many letters from her father when she knitted her showings while in his chambers with him as he worked.' She thought proudly remembered the sigils.

"Another mystery knight?" Rhaenyra asked as the Cole knight rode up and bowed toward the main viewing box. "No, a Cole, a knight of the Stormlands," she answered. 'What did she mean by 'another'? Was there a true mystery knight?' she thought as she pondered the question.

"Lord Stokeworth's daughter has been promised to that young Tarly squire," Rhaenyra spoke up as she nodded toward the squire who helped his knight off the arena. "Lord Massey's son." and Rhaenyra nodded at her response. "Best get on with it," she said with a pause. "I heard that Lady Elinor is hiding a swollen belly beneath her dress," she said with a smirk, and Rhaenyra also looked at her with a smirk. Their conversation was interrupted when Borumund Baratheon rode up toward the main viewing box.

"Princess Rhaenys Targaryen, I would humbly ask for the favor of the queen who never was and the mother of Laena Velaryon, the bride-to-be," the Baratheon lord was still sore about the decision of the Great Council but also honored Laena.

Rhaenys smiled at her cousin and threw her favor onto the lance. "Good fortune to you, cousin." "I would gladly take it if I thought I needed it," the Lord of Storm's End said as he rode to his starting point.

Then the lord and the House collided with the Cole knight, but on the second tilt, the Stormlord was thrown off his horse, groaning as he did. He received a smirk from her and Rhaenyra and many laughs from the crowd.

Rhaenyra looked toward her sworn shield and asked. "What about this Ser Cirston Criston Cole, Ser Steffon?" "I'm told that Ser Cirston Cole is a minor lord's son of lord Dondarian steward. But other than that, he unhorses the Lord of Strom's End and the Tarly Knight. I really couldn't say." Ser Steffon replied before walking away.

Then the Targaryen banner was unveiled as Daemon the Cunt came riding in, smirking all the way. The announcer proclaimed him to the audience. "Prince Daemon Targaryen, the Prince of the city, will now choose his first opponent." Daemon rode past the opponents and chose her brother. 'Damn the man,' she thought as Daemon chose her brother. "For his first challenge, Prince Daemon Targaryen chooses Ser Gwayne Hightower of Oldtown, the eldest son of the Hand of the King." Her brother rode up to the dais, bowed, and then rode to his starting position. She bit her fingers, a habit she always seemed to do when she was nervous. Yet she couldn't stop. Rhaenyra grabbed her hand in support and smiled at her.