V

Chapter five: 

~T is for trauma~

"Nervous?"

Thea smiled warmly at me, her hand on my arm. I smiled at her and my mom. I glanced over at my kart that was being inspected before the race.

"Never." I grinned at my sister.

"That's my girl." She grinned back, hugging me.

"Sia! Stoop!" I laughed as she tried to plant a kiss on my cheek. She let go of me with a giggle.

"Theodosia, let your sister breathe." My mom laughed. I wiped my cheek on the back of my hand, but my smile only grew. I loved having them here.

"Stop using my full name like that, it makes me think I'm in trouble or something." Thea said with a huff. I grinned at her.

"You'll do great, just like you always do." My mom said, giving me a kiss on the cheek. I smiled, feeling a surge of confidence. Thea squeezed my hand and grinned.

"Give em' hell, kiddo." She grinned, tucking some of my hair behind my ear. I chuckled, feeling a warmth spread through my chest.

"I always do." I lifted my chin proudly.

"That's my girl," my mom repeated, her voice full of pride. She leaned in and kissed me on the forehead, her warm breath sending shivers down my spine.

"I have to go get ready..." I glanced over my shoulder at the changing rooms. I basically had it all to myself because there were no other girls today.

"I'll come too." Thea grinned, hooking her arms through mine.

"Good luck, love!" My mom called after us as we walked away. I waved to her over my shoulder. Thea was practically skipping as I walked along.

"So." She began, with a grin. I knew that tone. "Is he here?"

"Is who here?" I played dumb. She pinched my arm, making me yelp in surprise.

"Your French heartthrob." Thea laughed, nudging me playfully with her shoulder. "Don't try to deny it. I know you've got it bad for him."

"I do not. And anyway, he's not French." I defended him with a chuckle. "But... uh... yes, he is here." I finished a little more quietly.

"Oh my god! You're blushing!" She gasped, trying to get a good look at my face, but I dodged out of the way, laughing.

"I am not!"

"Oh, what a lie!" She gasped. "How dare you lie to me, your own blood! I am so upset right now." Thea dramatically wiped her eye. I rolled my eyes, but I couldn't help but laugh.

"Oh, shut up." I rolled my eyes, shutting the door behind us.

"So are you going to talk to him?" She asked, laying herself down across one of the benches.

"What? He probably doesn't even know I exist." I shook my head, walking over to where my race suit was lying neatly.

"How could he not know you? You're very noticeable." She told me, trying to pull on my helmet.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked with a frown, pulling off my shirt and adjusting the strap on my bra.

"I mean it in a good way. You're just very... you." Thea shrugged, finally giving up on trying to put my helmet on and instead watching me change. "And he's not blind. You're so pretty, Angie."