XII

Chapter Twelve:

~ Almost ~

"Evangeline?"

I heard my name called out and looked up, surprised to see Charles sitting there on the podium. Of course, he would be the one here. I was about to curse life for putting me in his path again but then I took another look at him.

His shoulders were hunched, his head drooping slightly. His expression did not even seem surprised to see me, he just looked... defeated.

"Hey," I said softly, scrambling to my feet. I winced a little, my ankle already starting to ache. "Didn't mean to interrupt your pity party or whatever."

He looked up, meeting my eyes for a moment, before he laughed. It was a low sound, not the same amused snort I was used to hearing from him.

"I thought everyone had left," he murmured, rubbing at his eyes.

I bit my lip. "Do-do you want me to leave?"

He shook his head, his gaze drifting back down to the floor. "No," he said, his voice quiet.

I hesitated for a moment before I slowly climbed up onto the podium. I sat down beside him, careful not to get too close. "So..." I said, searching for something to say. "What's up, dawg?"

He let out a soft laugh, not quite a laugh, but close enough. "Dawg?"

"Yeah, I don't know what to call you." I shrugged. I offered him a small smile, but he didn't return it. His gaze was fixed on the floor, his expression unreadable. "How long have you been up here?"

"I... I don't know. A while, I guess." He laughed, but it was hollow this time. "I just sort of found myself here..." He looked around.

"Me too..." I murmured under my breath.

I glanced over at him, noticing the way his shoulders were slumped and the way his hands were fidgeting in his lap. It reminded me of myself when I'd been in a bad mood, and that little thread of empathy I'd thought was long gone somehow managed to tug at my heartstrings.

"Why do you have that?" He frowned, glancing at my hands. I looked down, only to realize that the card was still in my hands.

"Wha- oh, shit! I'm so sorry I-" I stammered. He took it from my outstretched hand , a thoughtful look on his face.

"You were in my room?" He raised an eyebrow at me.

I felt a blush creep up my neck. "I didn't mean to! I actually thought it was my room at first. I mean, I know it's stupid, but... I'm sorry." He studied my face for a moment, and then a small smile tugged at the corner of his lips.

"Well, I'm flattered," he said, his voice barely above a whisper. "Thank you." He held the card between us, his thumb running along the smooth surface. "A kid gave me this yesterday. She made it for me." He smiled to himself.

"That's sweet..." I said quietly, my voice barely audible even to my own ears. I glanced back up at him, searching his face for something.

"I feel like I let her down. I let everyone down." He sighed, letting the card fall to the floor. "Again."

"I don't think you let her down," I told him, even though a small part of me wondered if I was just trying to make him feel better. "You didn't let anyone down. It wasn't your fault..."