XXVIII

Chapter Twenty-Eight:

~ Something real ~

"So where is he taking you?"

"He didn't say," I answered, carefully applying my eyeliner. "He just told me to look pretty and he'd take care of the rest."

Aurora hummed. "Romantic." 

"So which dress do you plan on wearing? Black or red?" She reached for a hanger, her fingers brushing against the soft fabric of a red dress. I turned away from the mirror, walking over to the bed to look at my options.

"Umm... I like the black one..." I began to say but then I saw the look on her face, her finger nudging the other dress. "But... Now I can see that the red one is the only correct answer." I chuckled, taking the dress.

"Atta girl." She grinned. "Now, go, go get changed. He should be here in like..." She checked her watch. "...ten minutes."

I hurried into the bathroom, changing into the red dress. It was tight, but in all the right places. I adjusted the straps that would around my back carefully, glancing at my reflection. The cut of the dress showed just enough skin to make me feel good in my own skin, but not too much that I felt exposed. The color was a deep, rich shade, making my eyes pop.

"What date is this?" Thea asked me through the door. I could picture them perfectly, both crowded around the door like a pair of excited children on Christmas morning.

"Umm... Let's see..." I pretended to think for a moment.. "It's the fifth date." I replied, my voice slightly raised so they could hear me.

"Fifth date!" Thea squealed, clapping her hands together. "Awww, you guys are so cute!"

"Aren't we just?" I called back, rolling my eyes in the mirror. It was bad enough that I had to do this date, but now I also had to lie to them.

"You know... the fifth date is usually when most people expect something to happen," Thea mused, her voice low and suggestive. "Are you guys gonna... you know...?"

"Are you actually 15?" I couldn't help but laugh, even though the thought of it made me want to crawl out of my skin.

"You're avoiding the question!" Aurora accused, accenting it with a couple of knocks on the door.

"Fine. I don't think he's going to do anything," I lied, trying to convince myself as much as them. "He's just being a gentleman and taking me out on a date. That's all." I opened the door and stepped out, the red dress swirling around my legs.

"Oh, you look gorgeous!" Thea gushed, practically shoving her way into the room to get a better look at me. "Can I date you instead?"

"Nuh-uh. I've got dibs." Aurora pushed her way past Thea, giving me a once-over. "Seriously, I'm not kidding me. Ditch him, marry me." She said in a more hushed voice.

"Yes, please. Take me far, far away." I took her hands in mine.

"Run away with me my love! We'll elope and live a life of adventure and freedom!" Aurora whispered, her eyes shining with mischief.

"No! You would never do that to Charles. Right Lils?" Thea laughed, glancing at me. I hesitated. Aurora rolled her eyes out of Thea's line of vision.

"No, of course not. He's... so great." I forced a laugh. The words felt strange coming out of my mouth, like a foreign language I'd barely been taught. "I mean he's nice."