IV

Chapter four:

~ The fine art of bullshit ~

I couldn't help but feel a little stunned as I watched Lily hurry away. She disappeared almost immediately into the throng of people. And just like that, she was gone.

I felt a twinge of guilt as I realized that I might have pushed her a little too far. Of course, I hadn't meant to make her uncomfortable. It was just-

"This day will go down in history!" Lando chuckled as he raised his glass of whiskey.

I rolled my eyes, dropping back down into the booth.

"Charles Leclerc got his first rejection!" Daniel laughed.

"Don't be an ass. I'm going after her." Sabrina shot them all a glare before getting up from the booth. She gave me a quick pat on the shoulder as she passed.

"Was that the first girl to ever turn you down?" Layla teased as she slid into the booth beside me. I shot her a warning look, but she just grinned innocently.

"Shut up." I muttered, taking a sip of my drink.

"Oh, come on, Charlie. Can't take a little teasing?" Daniel nudged me with a laugh. I shot him a glare.

"I'm just saying..." Lando drawled. "It's quite refreshing to see you not get the girl for once. You're usually so damn charming." He winked at me and took another sip of his drink.

"You jealous?" I shot back, grinning at him. "You wish you could get a girl as easily as I do."

"Clearly not that one." He challenged. I glared at him.

"Well, at least now we know you're human." Layla laughed, patting me on the shoulder. "Maybe you should focus on the girl who actually wants you instead of chasing after the ones who don't."

"No. He's like a child. You tell him he can't have something, he'll only want it more." Daniel laughed.

"Hey, I can get any girl I want," I muttered, though it didn't sound nearly as convincing as it usually did.

"Then why don't you just move on to someone else?" Layla suggested, giving me a sympathetic smile. "There are plenty of girls here who would love to have your attention."

"But it'll always haunt you that you couldn't even get her." Lando murmured under his breath, casting me a smirk.

"Shut up, you can't even close with Sabrina after ten years." I snapped back. They all laughed. 

Except Lando, of course.

"That's complicated. And anyway," Lando cleared his throat, "I'm not the one on trial here. We can not just pass over Charles getting rejected."

"I didn't get rejected," I protested, feeling my face flush a little.

"Oh yeah? Then what do you call it?" Layla raised an eyebrow. I paused for a moment, considering my words.

"Exactly." Lando finished. "I guess you just aren't the irresistible stud you thought you were." He winked at me, and Daniel let out a snort of laughter. I scowled at him.

"You don't think I can make it happen?" I challenged. He laughed again.

"With her? No chance. It's almost sad." He replied, pretending to wipe a tear from his eye. "She's too good for you." He laughed, taking another sip of his drink.

"What makes you so sure?" I challenged, my voice laced with determination.

"She hates your guts, man. Even before F1, she did." Daniel shrugged. I bit my tongue, getting to my feet to stand in front of them. I felt a spark of excitement flare in my chest.