XXXI

Chapter Thirty-One: 

~ The truth ~

"Go get 'em, ha kid?" Jules bent down slightly so he could ruffle my hair.

His face was lit up with that same pride and excitement that he'd worn when he'd watched me race as a child. It was a familiar expression, one that made me feel both grateful and a little bit nervous.

Technically some people would still call me a child, but I was hardly one anymore. I was old enough to know better, old enough to have made my own mistakes and paid the price for them.

"Feeling nervous?" He asked, his voice low and gentle. I shrugged, not trusting myself to speak. "Good. Nerves keep you awake, keep you sharp."

"Do you get nervous?" I finally found my voice, looking up at him. Jules chuckled softly, smiling down at me.

"Of course. But as soon as those lights go out, nothing else matters." He straightened up, patting my shoulder. "Hey, you've got this. There are no other boys here who can keep up with you."

"Yes, but there is a girl who can." I replied.

"Ah, yes, that Lily girl," He nodded, his gaze taking on a thoughtful expression. "Is that her?"

I looked over my shoulder to where he was pointing. Lily was standing by her cart at the far end of the garage, her sister and mother flanking her. She was laughing at something, her arm slung around her sister's shoulders.

"Yes. That's her." I smiled softly.

"She's a natural," Jules agreed, nodding. "But don't let that fool you. She's got weaknesses, just like the rest of us."

Despite the fact that Jules was my godfather, he'd always been more like an older brother to me. A role model, an ally, and a friend. And when it came to racing, he was one of the few people who really understood what it was like to be out there on the track.

"You know how to drive that kart better than anyone, kid," he said, clapping me on the shoulder. "Just remember to stay focused, and don't let her get under your skin. She's good, but you're better."

I grinned at him. "Any other advice for the others?" I asked, my voice light.

"Oh, you mean the idiots who'll try to race you dirty?" Jules chuckled. "You just remember we raised you better than that, kid. Drive clean, and let the chips fall where they may. If they want to race like that, they can do it with the other boys. Don't get involved."

"You know I'm not one to back down from a challenge," I said, meeting my godfather's gaze. There was a sparkle in his eyes that told me he knew exactly what I was thinking.

"When someone plays dirty, it's not a challenge," Jules said, his voice taking on a sterner edge. "It's just being an asshole. And you're better than that. Focus on the racers who are going to give it their all, and leave the rest to their own devices. Keep your hands clean. Stay out of it."

I nodded, understanding his words perfectly. Jules had always been someone who believed in fair play and sportsmanship, even when the competition got fierce. It was one of the things I admired most about him.

As if sensing my thoughts, he put a hand on my shoulder. "You're going to do great out there, kid," he said with a smile. "And remember, no matter what happens, I'm always proud of you."

"Even if I lose?"

"Crash, win, or lose, you will always have someone who is proud of you." Jules replied with a wink.