XIV

Chapter Fourteen:

~ 100 times a therapist was needed ~

The summer break was finally here.

This meant that I was free to do anything. Go anywhere.

I could have gone anywhere in the world. I could have explored new cities, met new people, see new sights.

So, of course, I was house-sitting for Thea. She had gone to London for some lawyer stuff (I was bored listening to her explain it) and had asked me to stay and watch Beetle. Matteo was also staying with me.

He had found a job as a DJ in a shitty club downtown, so he was gone most nights. Since he was awake all night, he was sleeping most of the day. I didn't mind. It gave me time alone.

Beetle wasn't really a lot of work. I gave him food, refilled his water, cleaned his cage. So, I had a lot of time on my hands. I spent most of it watching TV, or reading, or taking long walks around the harbor.

Sometimes I would take a long drive along the coast, find a deserted beach, and just sit there, listening to the waves crash against the shore. It was so peaceful. I'd close my eyes and breathe in the salty air, feeling the warm sun on my face.

Those were the good days.

There were bad days too.

I'm not talking about rainy days. I loved it when it rained. I loved the storms, the thunder. The feeling of being cooped up inside. But there were days like today. Days when the sun was shining, the sky was a perfect shade of blue, and there was nothing to do but feel restless.

I went on one of my long walks along the harbor, trying to burn off some of the restless energy that had been building up inside of me. The sun was high in the sky, and the air was warm and salty. I could feel the heat radiating off the pavement as I walked.

As I neared the coffee shop I always went to, I could already smell the rich, roasted aroma of the beans wafting out onto the sidewalk.

It was a small, hole-in-the-wall kind of place, with a handful of mismatched tables and chairs scattered outside beneath a canopy of bright green umbrellas.

I pulled up the hood of my hoodie as I went inside, hoping to avoid talking to human beings. I didn't really want to talk to anyone. I just wanted to get my coffee and go home. But as I waited in line, the guy in front of me turned around, his eyes widening.

"You're her, aren't you?" he asked, his voice hushed. I glanced up at him, confused. He was a young guy, maybe in his early twenties. He was dressed in a bright red hat and a T-shirt with the Ferrari logo.

Of course he was.

"I'm sorry, I think you have me confused." I replied, trying to smile politely as I stepped forward in line. It was true, I didn't exactly look like a Formula One driver in my hoodie and baggy jeans, but then again, I never really knew what people expected me to look like.

"No, no. You are! Lily Adler!" The man insisted, a little too loudly. People in line behind us were starting to glance over, and I could feel my cheeks flush with embarrassment.

I sighed, giving in. "Fine, yes. Do you want me to sign something?"

The man's eyes widened even further, and he let out an excited squeak. "Oh my god! You're so amazing! I can't believe I'm meeting you! Can I get a selfie?" He practically shoved his phone in my face.